Therrien

Colin

From TSN:

Blues coach Ken Hitchcock had high praise for Montreal, especially Mitchell's checking line.

"This is the best checking team we've played against," he said. "They use their fourth line to check our top players.

"They did a hell of a job. This is a well coached, disciplined, play-the-game-the-right-way team. They're going to be a bear all year for everyone."

~~

Has Therrien morphed into one of the best coaches in hockey, have the Habs just matured to a point where they out-play their coaching, some mix of the two? Something else?

Discuss.

I'm hesitant to say, 7 games into the season, that they've really changed that much, but early on, it sure looks like they're a completely different team than last year. (Except for the opener against Toronto - that looked like the same Habs team from last year.)

If its true people sat him down and told him to run 3 offensive lines instead of two offensive and two defensive...

Then I'm not putting him on a pedestal. This team is great and we have an incredible goalie.

It's a team. With management.

Putting all the blame or all of the praise on Therrien is dishonest to how many people are involved. It's just easy as hockey fans to credit the goalie, credit the captain, credit the coach, etc. instead of seeing that there's a process to this all.

The biggest change between last season and this season is the Habs defence moving in the rush more often. We still chip the puck against the boards but there has been less need to dump it. Emelin is playing better and Petry is has been fantastic.

We're starting better but still finishing strong, which helps change the dynamic. I've talked ad nauseum about our slow first period starts and inability to score in the first 20. Right now we've been finally getting the puck in the net and creating leads instead of closing them.

Therrien deserves credit for working on some of his bad habits and keeping the team focused on changing them. You can't stare at a seven game winning streak regardless of when it happens and not give some credit to the architects.

Another big difference is the fact that we scored the first goal in 6 of our first 7 games.

Not having to play comeback hockey all the time is really good for :

- Line rolling

- Health/Stamina (not having to over use some players)

- Risk managing / risk taking (leads to less turnovers)

- Confidence

I'll give Therrien credit for fostering a good locker room spirit and getting everyone to buy in. But like Machine said, that's all management's domain as well.

The biggest reason for our early success is the continuity in our group. There were no major changes since the end of last year, and everyone came in knowing the system and their roles. We're still a young team that's improving internally.

Management moves paying off.

1.We have a fourth line. Period. (No longer using the fourth line for try outs) Huge difference maker.

2.Petry, NB, ( country miles better than the two they replaced (pick any two of the washed up, now retired guys) Huge difference maker.

3.DD third line center instead of first line center. He is a great third line center, an under qualified first line center. Not playing against top pair all game now. Huge difference maker.

4.Quote from Gally. The (core) players "still have a lot in the tank in the third period" not having been the go to guys all night long. Ripple effect from having a fourth line.

5. Emelin playing like he did before the knee injury.

6. Therrien not getting in the way of any of that. ( mean that in the most complimentary way of course) :nuts:

Still early BUT, if the Habs lock up an obvious play off spot by February like they did last year....... I hope that Markov is paced accordingly so that he is able to play in April the way the is playing now. "Those who don't learn from the past are destined to repeat it"

• Upvote 1

If its true people sat him down and told him to run 3 offensive lines instead of two offensive and two defensive...

Then I'm not putting him on a pedestal. This team is great and we have an incredible goalie.

Well said.

Markov was 4th in D ice time behind petry, Emelin subban last night... That's a good early sign for his longevity this season...

I'd also point to the adoption of a pressure 2 man high forecheck as a huge difference from last years passive 1 man forecheck and withdrawn defence. The defence being activated it seems on every single transition has gone a long way as well.

Those 2 strategies seem to me as game changers in our overall style thus far.

Markov was 4th in D ice time behind petry, Emelin subban last night... That's a good early sign for his longevity this season...

I'd also point to the adoption of a pressure 2 man high forecheck as a huge difference from last years passive 1 man forecheck and withdrawn defence. The defence being activated it seems on every single transition has gone a long way as well.

Those 2 strategies seem to me as game changers in our overall style thus far.

Markov 4th? I like that.

Nice to see Therrien Manage Markov's Time last night. No need to get him up to 25 minutes, especially when we are ahead by a couple of goals

MB sat him down and explained it to him. Now all he has to do is stay out of the way. The team has good leaders, let them do their thing. If trouble erupts then the coach gets involved. Just my opinion. I have gained a lot of respect for the fact that he hasn't tried to fix anything. He has been patient. Time management is much better this year. They are working on the p/p and have made some headway. All in all I can't see much to bitch about. So far good job by everyone. :habslogo:

Therrien's record since being re-hired has simply been awesome and looking to be a 4th straight solid year at the helm. Can you give more credit to Bergevin and Price...possibly, but W-L seems to be how a head coach is generally judged...especially when a winning team has exactly 1 All-star forward to work with.

Therrien's record since being re-hired has simply been awesome and looking to be a 4th straight solid year at the helm. Can you give more credit to Bergevin and Price...possibly, but W-L seems to be how a head coach is generally judged...especially when a winning team has exactly 1 All-star forward to work with.

You got it right Don. Therrien, his staff and Bergevin, for giving them the players the team needs, have done a wonderful job and deserve their share of credit.

Not sure i'm on board with all this "he isn't in the way" talk, Therrien might not be the greatest coach ever, but he is hardly a bad coach either. This team is certainly built well, which helps a lot, but to constantly give the guy no credit and assume has no hand in any of the team's success is a little crazy to me.

He is a guy who preaches structure and discipline to play within the confines of hockey that he deems acceptable, and that is what this team is doing from top to bottom, he has that whole room skipping when he says and that alone says a lot about his coaching. Secondly, when a world class coach like Hitchcock says a team is well coached, it may be time to take the anti-Therrien goggles off for a minute and listen to what was just said, and who it is coming from, he knows a lot more than any of us on the matter. Therrien at this point is in the upper echelon of coaches in my book, and what sounds like those of his peers, He may not be a Quenville, but he is certainly better than most teams have in this league, and I simply don't think he gets a fair shake no matter what happens.

He is either blamed for every issue the team has or is given no credit when it has none, the guy is cold as ice in the face of all the critics, even though he doesn't deserve half the flak he gets, or given half the credit he deserves.

my thoughts on the matter anyway

• Upvote 1

One all star forward and the best player in the game in net.

Hawks won the Cup with two all star forwards. A goalie not nearly as good as Price.

Until you win the cup improvements can always made. No security in a decent winning record. Habs had 110 points last year. Did we keep all the players that helped us achieve that? No.

Hitchcock has a fantastic record over the last four seasons with the Blues. Yet word is if the Blues don't win it all or at least get to the finals he'll be replaced.

Therrien is doing ok. Yet if they replaced him tomorrow I would miss him about as muck as I miss Parenteau, and the team would not be hindered in the least without him. Easy to replace and improve upon ...just as Prust and Paps were.

Not sure i'm on board with all this "he isn't in the way" talk, Therrien might not be the greatest coach ever, but he is hardly a bad coach either. This team is certainly built well, which helps a lot, but to constantly give the guy no credit and assume has no hand in any of the team's success is a little crazy to me.

He is a guy who preaches structure and discipline to play within the confines of hockey that he deems acceptable, and that is what this team is doing from top to bottom, he has that whole room skipping when he says and that alone says a lot about his coaching. Secondly, when a world class coach like Hitchcock says a team is well coached, it may be time to take the anti-Therrien goggles off for a minute and listen to what was just said, and who it is coming from, he knows a lot more than any of us on the matter. Therrien at this point is in the upper echelon of coaches in my book, and what sounds like those of his peers, He may not be a Quenville, but he is certainly better than most teams have in this league, and I simply don't think he gets a fair shake no matter what happens.

He is either blamed for every issue the team has or is given no credit when it has none, the guy is cold as ice in the face of all the critics, even though he doesn't deserve half the flak he gets, or given half the credit he deserves.

Awesome post, I agree.

I think Therrien has had this 2-3 year plan to form the team habits and it's mindset, to make them all play with this confidence and gusto.

MT has done a lot to improve the Habs team he took over, and there is no doubt about that in my mind anymore.

Awesome post, I agree.

I think Therrien has had this 2-3 year plan to form the team habits and it's mindset, to make them all play with this confidence and gusto.

MT has done a lot to improve the Habs team he took over, and there is no doubt about that in my mind anymore.

After 11 play off games, upon being eliminated in the 12th by Tampa Bay. MT described his teams efforts in this way "the players were physically and mentally drained" Insulting to the players I'm sure. Who could have played two more rounds without a doubt. As the Lightning and Hawks did.

Somehow I doubt that same coach is, or has been forming the team habits and mindsets with the likes of Pk Subban, Andre Markov, Brenden Gallagher, and Carey Price.

Credit for success they have so far achieved? in order?

Price

Price

Price

MB

Subban

Petry

Max

Gally

Markov

.......could keep going for a while before I hit Therrien.

But thats just my thoughts on the subject.

Agreed, great post.

Its crazy... when the team loses, its all his fault; when they win he gets no credit.... its absolutely crazy.

Also for Habs 30/31..... Hawks had more than 2 all star forwards......

Toews

Kane

Hossa

Saad

Sharp

Vermette

B Richards

Thats a lot deeper on offence than we had.

Agreed, great post.

Its crazy... when the team loses, its all his fault; when they win he gets no credit.... its absolutely crazy.

Toews

Kane

Hossa

Saad

Sharp

Vermette

B Richards

If Richards and Sharp are still all considered all stars then the habs have more than the "one all star forward" Don was referring to. Hossa? back up 5 years and maybe he's an all star.

Vermette??? lol .... now your just reaching.

But yes they are deeper no doubt.

Agreed, great post.

Toews

Kane

Hossa

Saad

Sharp

Vermette

B Richards

Who said "its all Theirriens fault when the team loses"??

I no more think it's all MT's fault when the team loses than it was all Hal Gills fault. It was not Gills fault but I still wanted a better d man than him going forward. It was not all Prusts fault when we lost. But we got a faster better third/fourth liner anyways. It was not Brian Gionta fault that we lost but we got a bigger , better captain anyways did we not?

Just because someone does not like the coach, or does not give him a ton of credit.... is not the same as saying "its all his fault" Geesh you Therrien fans are a sensitive bunch.

He'll do for now.

Yep, ok then, team is 7-0, has no controversy, or locker room troubles, and is described as a well coached team that is prepared to go to the wall and play the right way by his peer coaches, yet Therrien is only as good as;

Price

Price

Price

Bergevin

Subban,

Etc...

Yep, Therrien fans sensitive to stupidity maybe... sorry, not stupidity, numb belligerence... ;)

Ranking them....

Toews and Kane are both better than Pacioretty (who is the third best forward between the teams)

then 4th would be Hossa

5th would be Saad

6th would be Plekanec

7th would Sharp, who was just one year removed from being part of Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics.

So yes... Deeper.

Galchenyuk would be 8th.... and he may move himself up that chart this season, but he wasn't there last year.

---------------------------------

As for the defence again, you see chicago deeper.....

Subban

Keith

Seabrook

Markov

Petry

Oduya

Hjarmalsson

they had a true top 4 while we only had 3 (though yes, Beaulieu and Emelin have both improved this year).

So yeah, the cup winning Hawks were deeper than our team was last year......

------------------

As for who said "its all therrien's fault when the team loses"

No one may have actually said that, but it is the way many fans here and elsewhere have acted for years.