Therrien

Colin

Ranking them....

Toews and Kane are both better than Pacioretty (who is the third best forward between the teams)

then 4th would be Hossa

5th would be Saad

6th would be Plekanec

7th would Sharp, who was just one year removed from being part of Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics.

So yes... Deeper.

Galchenyuk would be 8th.... and he may move himself up that chart this season, but he wasn't there last year.

---------------------------------

As for the defence again, you see chicago deeper.....

Subban

Keith

Seabrook

Markov

Petry

Oduya

Hjarmalsson

they had a true top 4 while we only had 3 (though yes, Beaulieu and Emelin have both improved this year).

So yeah, the cup winning Hawks were deeper than our team was last year......

------------------

As for who said "its all therrien's fault when the team loses"

No one may have actually said that, but it is the way many fans here and elsewhere have acted for years.

Oh no doubt. Hawks blue line was dynamite in last years run. Not only deep but Seabrook and Kieth seemed to get better the longer it went. Where Monreals top two Markov and PK....not so.

True that some fans have acted that way for years. I have never been a Therrien fan. In 03 when he was here. Nor presently. However as a former player AND coach once said "the coach is the least important guy in the dressing room" Wins or losses. ...........Brian Sutter

I wouldn't hold 2003 against therrien today, first time coaching in the league.

Just like a player develops from rookie to a veteran with experience, so will a coach. He's not the same guy today that he was then.

That Carey Price lost his spot to Halak five years ago. Can we really trust him not to lose his spot again?

That Carey Price lost his spot to Halak five years ago. Can we really trust him not to lose his spot again?

I'm not holding 03 against Therrien. Just stated that I am not high on him as the Habs coach then... or now.

I wouldn't hold 2003 against therrien today, first time coaching in the league.

Just like a player develops from rookie to a veteran with experience, so will a coach. He's not the same guy today that he was then.

I agree that he has improved, his temper is more under control, He seems more calm. There are lots of things that he can be criticized for but with a 7 and 0 record I am not going to say anything other than what I have said, don't over coach. So far he hasn't. I truly hope that he keeps on that path, cause it is working right now. If a problem develops then the coach can step in and solve it. I hope he wins coach of the year, every year. I hope we win the cup every year.

So what you are saying is you formed an opinion of him 12 years ago and will stubbornly hold on to that opinion even when shown evidence of his recent success.

Nah. I will say he has improved. Getting canned twice after a couple years on each job has humbled him. Made him a better coach. I also think he has been schooled by MB and he is listening. "staying out of the way and not over coaching" as has been stated by HR and others, including me.

See thats the thing

"has been schooled by MB"

"Don't over coach"

Its basically saying he wins inspite of himself, or passing the buck on giving him credit to someone else.... we can't ever just give therrien credit, there always has to be a proviso... which i don't understand.

Whatever, many still love the "fire Therrien" threads, no matter that they are top of league or not, which hasn't been the case since 11-12, when he was just a talking head on RDS.

132-64-23 record must be best of any coach over past 4 yrs isn't it (again I add, especially with only 1 all-star forward seems even more impressive, yes I know there is the 'Price" factor)?

See thats the thing

"Don't over coach"

Its basically saying he wins inspite of himself, or passing the buck on giving him credit to someone else.... we can't ever just give therrien credit, there always has to be a proviso... which i don't understand.

No it is a cautionary statement. In the past he did over coach the team. I am trying not to say anything negative about him. You don' have to take every statement as negative.

What's the difference in "Per game" and "per 60 minutes"... isn't 60 minutes a game? (barring OT...which montreal hasn't played at all, so GP should be identical to "per 60")

Whatever, many still love the "fire Therrien" threads, no matter that they are top of league or not, which hasn't been the case since 11-12, when he was just a talking head on RDS.

132-64-23 record must be best of any coach over past 4 yrs isn't it (again I add, especially with only 1 all-star forward seems even more impressive, yes I know there is the 'Price" factor)?

Some are not high on MT, some are . You are not high on NB, some of us are. Why so baffled. We all have the guys we like and the guys we don't.

"132-64-23" ....... and with out Therrien? Price and the boys would have lost all those games. MT is that good. :nuts:

What's the difference in "Per game" and "per 60 minutes"... isn't 60 minutes a game? (barring OT...which montreal hasn't played at all, so GP should be identical to "per 60")

It only counts ES 5v5... so per 60 minutes is more than 1 game..... Its not often that a game has 60 minutes of 5v5 play.

No it is a cautionary statement. In the past he did over coach the team. I am trying not to say anything negative about him. You don' have to take every statement as negative.

Meh, if the biggest complaint is line juggling, i go back to my point that nearly every coach in the league juggles lines when losses and slumps happen.

It only counts ES 5v5... so per 60 minutes is more than 1 game..... Its not often that a game has 60 minutes of 5v5 play.

Meh, if the biggest complaint is line juggling, i go back to my point that nearly every coach in the league juggles lines when losses and slumps happen.

Therrien was juggling lines after losses, wins, slumps, winning streaks, after periods, in the middle of periods. Word is he was juggling them at the charity baseball game, and then at the cottage until at the bbq until some one in the familty finally told him to give it a rest..... it's July man!

Yeah, yeah, Therrien was awful and this year the team is better cause everyone else is running it and he's been neutered.... why couldn't i understand this before.

Funny though, the line juggling complaints were made against Julien, Carbonneau, Martin, Vigneault, Cunneyworth, Tremblay, Gainey, and every coach we've had for 20 years.

• Upvote 1

See thats the thing

"Don't over coach"

You're fighting a battle that cannot be won no matter how much logic you present. He could win all 82 games plus 16 more in the spring, win coach of the year and some will not change their opinion of him. Maybe if his name was Mike Terran from Saskatchewan and it was his first stint with the Habs it would be different. He may not be the best coach or the most liked, but the results speak for themselves.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, yeah, Therrien was awful and this year the team is better cause everyone else is running it and he's been neutered.... why couldn't i understand this before.

Funny though, the line juggling complaints were made against Julien, Carbonneau, Martin, Vigneault, Cunneyworth, Tremblay, Gainey, and every coach we've had for 20 years.

I actually do not recall that at all. But I defer to your obvious superior knowledge. I try to say something good about the guy and you guys still want to fight. I guess better not to say anything at all if it is contrary to the resident geniuses.

No...not a genius, but seems to have a good handle on his roster and his strengths, of solid team defense/goaltending and Bergevin has given him some experienced fast skating checkers to work with. Only thing really missing is another all-star calibre forward (or combo of couple other top six players having career years with goals through till June should suffice).

I cant say I even saw many games when he coached in his 1st stint, but for going on 4 years now I got few complaints (and the more unusual roster calls he makes the better, for entertainment sake from his numerous loud critics).

No...not a genius, but seems to have a good handle on his roster and his strengths, of solid team defense/goaltending and Bergevin has given him some experienced fast skating checkers to work with. Only thing really missing is another all-star calibre forward (or combo of couple other top six players having career years with goals through till June should suffice).

I cant say I even saw many games when he coached in his 1st stint, but for going on 4 years now I got few complaints (and the more unusual roster calls he makes the better, for entertainment sake from his numerous loud critics).

You can't say he is not a genius Don that just won't fly here. I mean "LOOK AT THE FORKING RESULTS"

He is a fair to middling coach who has got this team in a good spot. MB has provided the players, and traded away players, in order to get them out of the line up. He is not a terrible coach but like everyone he has his problems. This is a results oriented business so it you choose to ignore the problems because the results are good, that is up to the individual. As I said earlier i hope he wins coach of the year every year and we win the cup every year. Just don't see it really happening. But let's be honest he is not the second coming of Scott Bowman. More like Donald S Cherry, (ok that was a joke)

• Upvote 1