Negative GDT: Crappy Habs vs. Oilers, 9PM EST

I don't like the move because I think it means Byron will probably get at least two games - I'd expect he'll play against his old team in Calgary tomorrow as well

I would have liked to see Gilbert sat out tonight in favor of pateryn or tinordi.

Semin has earned his paychecks. I think MT is a bit premature here. Not so sure this team got better offensively or defensively with him out. He isn't ripping it up, but I don't think he has been a liability overall.

I get that Semin hasn't really been playing great so far.

But Semin was not the reason we got hammered in the last game. It was a complete team lack of effort.

He was actually one of the better players. I fear that Le Genius is scrambling to find the blender.

The predictable coach's war on Semin has begun. I figured as much when he was benched for some shifts against Van. And I guarantee you that hustle/defensive play is the reason (he's been useful in the O-zone in my opinion, but I'm pretty sure that Byron - or nearly anyone - can provide us with 3 points in 10 games given the ice-time and linemates he had).

What exposes the 'coach's war' as hollow is the calibre of the replacements. Flynn on the 2nd line is a joke, while Byron is a marginal player. I don't see how we can drop a player of Semin's offensive skills and replace him with plumbers over the longer term. Inevitably he will draw back in the second we dry up offensively.

Like I say: all this was completely predictable. It was always a long shot that Semin would be anything other than erratic.

• Upvote 1

The points haven't been there, but I think Semin has been playing well in the offensive zone. Moreover, he draws coverage which I have a hard time believing that Flynn will do (nothing against the guy, but he's grinder in my books). Life just got more difficult for Chucky and Larry, and on the road.

That being said, cue the Flynn hat-trick!

The predictable coach's war on Semin has begun. I figured as much when he was benched for some shifts against Van. And I guarantee you that hustle/defensive play is the reason (he's been useful in the O-zone in my opinion, but I'm pretty sure that Byron - or nearly anyone - can provide us with 3 points in 10 games given the ice-time and linemates he had).

What exposes the 'coach's war' as hollow is the calibre of the replacements. Flynn on the 2nd line is a joke, while Byron is a marginal player. I don't see how we can drop a player of Semin's offensive skills and replace him with plumbers over the longer term. Inevitably he will draw back in the second we dry up offensively.

Like I say: all this was completely predictable. It was always a long shot that Semin would be anything other than erratic.

Arpon said it:

1 - #Habs sign Semin

2 - Everyone immediately expects Semin to be scratched at some point

3 - Semin gets scratched

4 - Everyone freaks out

Maybe Semin is having a health day?

Nagging little injury?

Doesn't have to be all doom and gloom and a "bad coach" story does it?

Go Habs!

If MT is going to scratch Semin, then bring up McCarron for a shot with Galy and Eller.

Why is Byron on this team anyways?

The Habs are at the max 23 on the active roster so if someone were to be called up, they'd have to waive someone the day before. And McCarron is what, less than ten games into his pro career? He's not ready yet.

Byron was added as a late replacement for Kassian so that de la Rose wouldn't be the 13th forward. He's a quality fourth liner and deserving of a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

Why is Byron on this team anyways?

That was my initial thought when he was signed. I will reserve myself from either re-iterating or changing that sentiment until after I see him play tonight. He deserves a chance to show what he can do.

Maybe Semin is having a health day?

Nagging little injury?

Doesn't have to be all doom and gloom and a "bad coach" story does it?

Go Habs!

Therrien's comments about Semin toss any thought out the window of this being a maintenance day.

"La balance doit être plus du côté positif que négatif. Dans le cas de Semin, on trouve que la balance est plus négatif."

Basically, things have been more negative than positive with Semin according to Therrien.

Lineups posted. No change in D unless it happens at the last minute. Oilers playing 7 D.

In the past five games, the forwards with a negative +/- are Galchenyuk, Eller and Semin (-3) while Beaulieu was a -1. Semin had only a goal in that timespan, Eller a goal and assist, Galchenyuk with three assists. If you just go the past two games, Markov is a -5, Subban is a -4, Chuck line a -3, Mitchell line a -1.

Offensive zone passing 72.8%, highest on team, offensive zone loose puck recovery 11.7%, highest on team, and second on team in successful passes to slot. Guess who this is... Semin

Like i said. "Not sure Semin should be sat based on his play". He's been good.

Semin has earned his paychecks. I think MT is a bit premature here. Not so sure this team got better offensively or defensively with him out. He isn't ripping it up, but I don't think he has been a liability overall.

Agreed. But MT has shown great restraint in leaving the blender in his garage. Ten games without line up change has to be a record for him. One loss was all he needed. :nuts:

I hope that this is a short 'light a fire' bit of business and not an all-out trip to the doghouse that involves an extended period in the pressbox. I'm the first to jump on a guy when he's playing badly, and Semin has looked pretty good in all but the last two games (and he had a lot of company in that regard).

I am not a fan of scratching Semin. Sure he has been sub par on the defensive side but that was to be expected. He hasn't produced much either but I've seen good things in the offensive zone from him, the results just haven't been there yet. With a player like that I think they have to keep playing. Sitting him out a game won't likely help him offensively and at this point in his time line I doubt he is going to change and become much better defensively. From what I've see from Semin this season is that the has shown the ability to hold on to and control the puck for extended periods in the offensive zone, a skill that few players on this team are capable of. Even if he's does have some bad turnovers he can still do things that most players can not.

Therrien's comments about Semin toss any thought out the window of this being a maintenance day.

"La balance doit être plus du côté positif que négatif. Dans le cas de Semin, on trouve que la balance est plus négatif."

Basically, things have been more negative than positive with Semin according to Therrien.

Same thing has been said about Therriens powerplay for his tenure in Montreal. ha!

Semin has sucked, seems same ol lazy softie as ever, just a full step slower than when he was a productive scorer. :nuts:

is he sucking anymore than DD a few years ago at the start of the year??

is he sucking anymore than DD a few years ago at the start of the year??

DD went the first 20 games putting up 0 goals and 1 assist. lol Didn't the mayor of Montreal want him sent to Hamilton? But MT showed the struggling little centerman nothing but love. :ph34r:

Semin has sucked, seems same ol lazy softie as ever, just a full step slower than when he was a productive scorer. :nuts:

That got Paps on the first line at this time last season. ha! Now he's on the fourth lines of the laughing stock loafs.

Byron will add speed, they said he is faster than any other Hab.

Flames too loaded with super stars to make room for him?