Trade: Christian Thomas for Lucas Lessio

According to John Liu via Twitter:

prospect Lucas Lessio: 2nd Rd (56th overall) in 2011. LW, LHS; 6'1", 213 lbs. Total 29 NHL gms

I am happy about this deal because it did not seem like Thomas had a future in MTL. I hope he does well in the desert but I hope Lessio develops into a power winger...I live in hope

EDIT: Maybe he grew?

There is a lot of chatter on the net that Thomas and Beaulieu were out parting after the loss to the canes. The theory is that is why Beaulieu was benched and Thomas is gone. MB sending a message. Don't know if it is true or not but it makes about as much sense as anything. We got a little bigger, this is good.

There is a lot of chatter on the net that Thomas and Beaulieu were out parting after the loss to the canes. The theory is that is why Beaulieu was benched and Thomas is gone. MB sending a message. Don't know if it is true or not but it makes about as much sense as anything. We got a little bigger, this is good.

IF the kid goes out on the party during a call-up, then good riddance. This isn't 2006 - no punks need apply. Especially not ones who are unlikely ever to be more than borderline players.

I don't think the partying is why they sent Thomas away. They were comfortable running him through waivers barely two months ago with the risk of losing him for nothing. And being behind the likes of Andrighetto, Carr, Hudon, and probably Bournival/de la Rose who haven't been recalled yet but are now healthy, he wasn't likely to be coming back up anytime soon.

The Habs are doing him a favour by moving him on in what amounts to a swap of underachieving prospects that could use a change of scenery. That's what this deal is in a nutshell.

What's the story about Beaulieu partying?

I do disagree, a night out can help these young guys loosen up. If normal people like us need to cut loose, why can't 22 year olds who are under extreme pressure?

Beaulieu's birthday was the other day and he and Thomas were spotted partying that night (or the night after). There's a video out there - I haven't seen it nor do I have any interest in doing so - that apparently doesn't shine them in the most positive of lights.

Beaulieu's birthday was the other day and he and Thomas were spotted partying that night (or the night after). There's a video out there - I haven't seen it nor do I have any interest in doing so - that apparently doesn't shine them in the most positive of lights.

It doesn't shine them in a negative light either... they're just bro-ing it up with some hoes. What you'd expect from young athletes.

It doesn't shine them in a negative light either... they're just bro-ing it up with some hoes. What you'd expect from young athletes.

This was after a game and a flight home! Remember having party legs like that? I haven't had an excuse to stay up past one AM in years.

Thomas had no future with the team, they got a younger kid who might (and I underline might) become a fourth liner... maybe a third at best, but don't expect much out of Lessio either.

I like the deal for the simple fact that if you have a 23 year old who is going nowhere, trade him for a 22 year old. Just buys you time.

Thomas had no future with the team, they got a younger kid who might (and I underline might) become a fourth liner... maybe a third at best, but don't expect much out of Lessio either.

I like the deal for the simple fact that if you have a 23 year old who is going nowhere, trade him for a 22 year old. Just buys you time.

Reminds me of the D'Agostini for Palushaj deal. Or heck, Kristo for Thomas.

Remember when people thought Kristo was a shoe in top six? Maybe not here but other Hab places.

Reminds me of the D'Agostini for Palushaj deal. Or heck, Kristo for Thomas.

Hopefully it turns into one of those in that at least one of the players sees some NHL time with his new team and that it's not like the other AHL'er for AHL'er swaps we've seen from Bergevin - Quailer for Czarnik or the doozy of a deal that will forever be remembered as his first trade...Brendon Nash for Jason DeSantis.

So round about way is 25 yr old solid AHLer Kristo (who has had 2 20+g AHL yrs), for 22yr old solid AHLer in Lessio (who had a 29g AHL rookie yr).

It's essentially a swap of 56th overall picks if you want to look at it that way - Kristo was 56th in 2008, Lessio 56th in 2011.

Doing some research into Lessio, I get the sense he's the player with the lower upside here. While he's a good skater, that's about it. He seems to profile best as a 4th liner that can log some minutes, hit a couple of players, and not hurt the team. Of course, Thomas wasn't going to make it with the Habs in an offensive role and as an undersized skilled player, he couldn't play a fourth line role for long. So basically, they get a player who may not be as talented but has a better shot of fitting into the current roster composition moving forward.

Doing some research into Lessio, I get the sense he's the player with the lower upside here. While he's a good skater, that's about it. He seems to profile best as a 4th liner that can log some minutes, hit a couple of players, and not hurt the team. Of course, Thomas wasn't going to make it with the Habs in an offensive role and as an undersized skilled player, he couldn't play a fourth line role for long. So basically, they get a player who may not be as talented but has a better shot of fitting into the current roster composition moving forward.

Exactly.

If you are undersized and have 1 goal and 2 assists in ~30 NHL games (As thomas had), he's never fitting the top 9 in Montreal, and is too small for the fourth line. He might have upside, but he wasn't getting there with us. He never showed the offence at the NHL level to stick.

At least Lessio could become a fourth liner.

A little tidbit on this trade from Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

The Coyotes did make a small trade, sending Lucas Lessio to Montreal for Christian Thomas. I actually didn’t ask Maloney about it, but word is Lessio wanted a fresh start, and Arizona was willing to oblige.