Kassian Dealt for Scrivens

Lovett's Magnatones

The worst kept secret in hockey is official.

Oilers retain 24% of Scrivens salary, making his cap hit almost identical to Kassian when Tokarski comes off the Cap.

A decent swap for both teams. Kassian cleared waivers before Xmas, so he can get his game together in minors without facing waivers. He's also RFA, so they have him at the same salary for another year, not sure if he's arbitration eligible.

Tokarski has been sent down to St John's.

Personally I would have liked to give Kassian a chance after he got clearance to leave the substance abuse program. Especially given our incredible need for a RW player of his ilk. However, I suppose this is management basically saying " I don't care how bad we are, we are not putting up with that here". It sends a strong message to the rest of the team. I am also quite skeptical about Scrivens being any sort of upgrade on what is already here for goalies, but time will tell.

Not sure about that any 5th pick is better than Prust.

About only recognizable 5th round picks I see in recent years NHL drafts are; Hudon, Gallagher, Koberstein, Audette, Dietz, Bradley. To a non Habsfan, Gallagher likely would be only known pick.

Ben Scrivens has a .942 save percentage in his last five games in the AHL.

Bernier had three shutouts in a row lol

Want to see what our goalie coach extraordinaire can do with this guy. Looked excellent with Kings at one point.

Guest Stogey24

That fifth round pick is guaranteed to be a better hockey player than Brandon Prust.

What are you talking about

What a stupid fackin trade.

Personally I would have liked to give Kassian a chance after he got clearance to leave the substance abuse program. Especially given our incredible need for a RW player of his ilk. However, I suppose this is management basically saying " I don't care how bad we are, we are not putting up with that here". It sends a strong message to the rest of the team. I am also quite skeptical about Scrivens being any sort of upgrade on what is already here for goalies, but time will tell.

This sums up my view as well. Nice post.I don't like this whole scenario because the move was made from a position of weakness/desperation, while keeping Kassian would have been the thing to do had the team not melted down - the kind of thing a contending team would do. But if Scrivens is an upgrade on Toker, then the deal will bring short-term help of the modest variety.

There are two Brandon Prusts, One is the guy we acquired as a UFA, who was a terrific bottom-6 guy who could even chip in in a top-6 role from time to time, and was one of the league's most respected fighters. The other is the guy we traded, who is slow, broken-down, and basically playing out the thread. Trading THAT guy for a 5th-rounder and a hopefully-competent backup goalie was good value.

Someone will sign Prust after this year. This awesome fifth rounder we'll get won't play for at least three years, if at all. He was a big part of turning the dressing room around the first year he got here, there's no need to shit on the guy to defend Bergevin.

• Upvote 1

So, which was really the throw in on the Prust trade, Kassian or the 5th rounder? Would explain the shortest leash in history.

I would've preferred Kassian get some kind of opportunity after completing the abuse program. Of course nobody knows any of the backstory, so who knows what the full story with Kassian is...I can only assume there's more because to never even play for the team seems a bit harsh.

Someone will sign Prust after this year. This awesome fifth rounder we'll get won't play for at least three years, if at all. He was a big part of turning the dressing room around the first year he got here, there's no need to shit on the guy to defend Bergevin.

I'll take as many dumps as I'd like to on Prust. He was progressively worse and worse for us last year and the only happiness anyone got from him as a Hab was his play fights on the ice with Chuck and such. I was jumping for joy when we got Kassian for him because I thought there was no way we'd dump him without taking a big cap hit back. Plus I thought Kassian could be a good Hab (I was wrong, welp). It's like everyone forgets that stupid hit in the playoffs against the Rangers and that stupid ref fight he had against Tampa.

Guest Stogey24

That fifth round pick is guaranteed to be a better hockey player than Brandon Prust.

How can you possibly say that? Prust was great for this team and he has the same or better point totals than all Habs bottom 6 and was also one of the best fighters in the game.

I can't for the life of me fathom what this trade is about. On the surface it looks like a stupid Mike Milbury type trade. I hope I am wrong. Someone better let MB know that Montreal is burning and fiddling around is not the answer.

How can you possibly say that? Prust was great for this team and he has the same or better point totals than all Habs bottom 6 and was also one of the best fighters in the game.

Fighting is worthless in today's NHL and Canucks fans are seething at the idea they might lose on a draft pick for a worthless veteran who burns a lot of rubber but goes nowhere.

He was great when he first arrived.

Last year he was broken down... slow... took bad penalties.

At 2.5 million thats a liability.

Since November Prust has had two points (in the same game) and 12 shots in 17 games. 5 of his 7 points came in October. All while costing the Canucks $2.5M on the cap.

Im just not sure a goalie at 893 in the ahl helps

I know I'm Mr. Positive usually when we make a trade but his game by game stats tell the story there.

In his first five games (October 23rd, November 1st, November 11th, November 24th, December 5th) he allowed 22 goals. He posted a .636 save percentage in that December 5th game and played only a single period.

Since then he's allowed 9 goals in five games including a shut out. A 1.000, .903, .957, .921 and .923 with a 2-2-1 record. The .957 game he stopped 44 shots.

Basically he's been a completely different player in his past five games compared to the first five games. Just brushing off a .893 save percentage is unfair to him.

I think this trade may be a sign that Price is going to be out longer than expected. Even then, it's a lousy trade, because if that is the case, we needed a better goalie.

Unless MB makes another deal in a hurry to get some help on RW, this is was a dumb move. Only reason it makes any sense at all is if Kassian already started drinking again.