Tinordi traded to Arizona

dlbalr

I think Tinordi will have more of a career than O'Byrne had, and would have been worth more than this paltry return if he had been brought along more effectively. We're STILL paying for all those games of Bouillon/Murray/Gonchar when we could have been giving our youngsters NHL experience.

That said, Tinordi's fallen to around 9th on our depth chart, and he isn't the player we thought we once had. So it's not the biggest loss.

Yep. This year he officially lost his job, but I think things could have been different if Bergevin didn't go scrub crazy. There's also the possibility that he lost faith in winning a job and his heart wasn't in it.

Yep. This year he officially lost his job, but I think things could have been different if Bergevin didn't go scrub crazy. There's also the possibility that he lost faith in winning a job and his heart wasn't in it.

Well he was apparently well liked in the room, and was professional at all times.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well only appropriate voted in by clowns, may as well go out like a clown. Just don't put him in a Habs jersey.

Guest Stogey24

John Scott tells Bob McCown he might wear - if allowed by NHL - a St. John's IceCaps jersey at NHL all-star game. "That's who I'm with now."— Robin Short (@telyrobinshort) January 19, 2016

That's seriously ridiculous

John Scott tells Bob McCown he might wear - if allowed by NHL - a St. John's IceCaps jersey at NHL all-star game. "That's who I'm with now."

— Robin Short (@telyrobinshort) January 19, 2016
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SIDE SHOW!

The NHL should have just rolled with Scott's ridiculous nomination, turned it into a feel-good story: 'regular schlub at the All Star Game! Cool!'

Instead, characteristically, the Old Boys tried to rig things behind the scenes (just as they routinely rig discipline, etc.) and got burned.

Morons.

And I agree that I do NOT want that Jabba the Hut wearing the CH at the All Star Game. That would be a disgrace to the most sacred uniform in sport.

And I agree that I do NOT want that Jabba the Hut wearing the CH at the All Star Game. That would be a disgrace to the most sacred uniform in sport.

I love reading stuff like this. The stuff that acts like the Habs have been the blessed aura of Beliveau instead of the referee punching, head slashing violence of Maurice Richard. We brought in John Ferguson Sr. who created the myth of the enforcer (when he was just a violent goon) and were one of the most vicious, violent, cheap teams in the league in the 80s off the back of the knuckle of Chris Nilan.

John Scott would just follow in a long line of goons that wore the CH that draconian fans would love. Wouldn't disgrace anything. We're no better than any franchise that had him wear that sweater. It was only a few years ago we had Steve Begin in our lineup.

I love reading stuff like this. The stuff that acts like the Habs have been the blessed aura of Beliveau instead of the referee punching, head slashing violence of Maurice Richard. We brought in John Ferguson Sr. who created the myth of the enforcer (when he was just a violent goon) and were one of the most vicious, violent, cheap teams in the league in the 80s off the back of the knuckle of Chris Nilan.

John Scott would just follow in a long line of goons that wore the CH that draconian fans would love. Wouldn't disgrace anything. We're no better than any franchise that had him wear that sweater. It was only a few years ago we had Steve Begin in our lineup.

Of course we've had our share of goons. (Ferguson was not a goon, by the way). But there is a mythology around the CH and what the sweater represents - and it's sure not John Scott. This is the franchise of 24 Cups, of Roy, Lafleur, Beliveau, (yes) Richard, Morenz, Harvey, Robinson, and now Price and Subban, and that's what the sweater incarnates in my book. But go ahead, put us on all fours with the Arizona Coyotes, be a cynic and crap on that mythology and symbolism all you want. It's that kinda year.

When Scott scores 20 in a season, then you can disrespect our most beloved Goon Nilan! -_-

It was common for goons, especially in the 80s, to score 15-20 goals once.

Tie Domi scored 15 in one of his last career seasons. Mike Peluso scored 15 for the expansion Senators in 92-93 (15 goals, 318 penalty minutes). Bob Probert put up 29 in the 80s. Dirty Dave Schultz had a 20 goal season for the Flyers with 348 PIM to go with it. No different to Nilan's 21 with 358 PIM.

Of course we've had our share of goons. (Ferguson was not a goon, by the way). But there is a mythology around the CH and what the sweater represents - and it's sure not John Scott. This is the franchise of 24 Cups, of Roy, Lafleur, Beliveau, (yes) Richard, Morenz, Harvey, Robinson, and now Price and Subban, and that's what the sweater incarnates in my book. But go ahead, put us on all fours with the Arizona Coyotes, be a cynic and crap on that mythology and symbolism all you want. It's that kinda year.

I love the mythology and symbolism of the Canadiens, but I also recognize it as a business that's selling a World War II poem with a torch to me. I'm cynical that way with most capitalism.

I can still appreciate the history of the Montreal Canadiens while recognizing how much of it is myth and marketing. John Scott wearing a Habs sweater at an All-Star game would actually be in line with when Mike Milbury tried to put former "most beloved Habs goon" Chris Nilan in an All-Star game. I guess we forgot about that one.

Chris Nilan, John Ferguson and Bob Probert were both talented enough hockey players to play regular shifts and help their team on the third line as well as fill in on the second line in a pinch.

They might be fighters, but they aren't comparable to John Scott, Colton Orr, Eric Boogaard, Georges Laraque, and others we've seen in more recent years, or the guys like Donald Brashear, Stu Grimson, Joey Kocur, and others of the 80s and 90s.

Chris Nilan, John Ferguson and Bob Probert were both talented enough hockey players to play regular shifts and help their team on the third line as well as fill in on the second line in a pinch.

They might be fighters, but they aren't comparable to John Scott, Colton Orr, Eric Boogaard, Georges Laraque, and others we've seen in more recent years, or the guys like Donald Brashear, Stu Grimson, Joey Kocur, and others of the 80s and 90s.

Fair enough. John Scott is comparable to Georges Laraque, George Parros, Donald Brashear, Aaron Downey, Brad Staubitz, Gino Odjick...

EDIT: I mean for gosh sakes, Scott was voted in by the fans! The Montreal Canadiens would never do such a thing! Vote in an undeserved player into the sacred NHL All-Star Game!

NHL+All+Star+Game+Portraits+9WYrct5pwytl

Fair enough. John Scott is comparable to Georges Laraque, George Parros, Donald Brashear, Aaron Downey, Brad Staubitz, Gino Odjick...

EDIT: I mean for gosh sakes, Scott was voted in by the fans! The Montreal Canadiens would never do such a thing! Vote in an undeserved player into the sacred NHL All-Star Game!

NHL+All+Star+Game+Portraits+9WYrct5pwytl

Ha haaaaa, you've got us there

(Interesting to note that that was basically the moment where the 2008 season collapsed. The Hockey Gods were angry!!)

Ferguson and even nilan could play hockey. Scott is NOT a hockey player.

• 2 weeks later...

That was indeed a great read. Assuming he composed that, and didn't have it 'ghosted,' he is quite an effective writer. The argument about his daughters is of course the trump card: my daughters love hockey, they are dying to see me in the All Star Game, so I'm gonna do it. We never think about players as parents, whose kids are fans of them as players.

I'd note, though, that there is a kind of permanent rhetorical strategy around goons: i.e., to present the 'goon' as the hockey equivalent of a sad clown. 'I never wanted to be a fighter...I was just an honest guy who loved hockey...but this was the way I could help my team and make my dreams come true.' They almost always say the same thing. Remember the pathos around Kordic? I don;t mean his tragic death, I mean the whole idea that his dad was ashamed of his goonery, that John 'just wants to be a hockey player,' etc.. As if Kordic had any hockey skills whatsoever.

What the 'tragic goon' narrative tends to overlook, of course, is that in the absence of fighting, these guys would never have become millionaire celebrities in the first place, and no one would give a sh*t about any aspect of their lives at all. The alternative for the Kordics and Scotts is NOT that they play proper hockey, it's that they do something else entirely. Scott at least is smart enough to know that full well.

I have no time for goons, but if we must have fighters, I prefer them like Nilan or Parros: guys who embrace the role and enjoy it (even if it gets brutally tough as they age, c.f. Nilan and painkillers). No sad clowns need apply.

Almost every article on that site is actually ghostwritten. Odds being odds, this was too.

The one by Kunestzov has to be the exception here. The writing quality is quite poor, IMO (even if I'm not the best English writer myself).