Tinordi traded to Arizona

dlbalr

Under the slightly odd category, Montreal's press release says that both Bartley and Scott have been sent to St. John's. In the IceCaps' press release, they say only Scott has been sent down. One of those is wrong, hopefully the latter.

Guest Stogey24

A lot of sports fans try to rationalize their own thinking to agree with management to feel smarter. Whether or not that applies to anybody here is up for speculation.

Indeed, a minor leaguer and John Scott is the value for a #8 defenseman that's played only three games all year. His value diminishing to a trade for the biggest joke in the game, and an undrafted AHLer with one career NHL goal is on management. They should have traded him before the year if he wasn't in the plans. If the plan was to wait and see if he could make the team, playing more 38 games over the last three seasons is the way to see if he could make, instead of benching him for any mistake.

For the Barberio Camp, a player like him is available every year. The Habs have passed on a few of them in their own system like Yannick Weber. He's no great shakes. I'm more interested in developing 6'6 first rounders than waiting if scrubs with no ceiling like Pateryn or Barberio pan out.

I think we can cancel MBs flight to the NHL Awards in June. What a joke.

Good post

When I prayed that MB would trade for an all-star, this was NOT what I had in mind damnit!

All kidding aside, this is a nothing trade...as in it does nothing to help the team on the ice at all. Call it roster space/cap management, and forget about it.

Call it crap and forget about it. This is frustrating.

If Bergevin wanted to save money, then just waive Tinordi instead of taking some salary back. No ?

They must see something useful in Bartley. Cuz if they see something useful in Scott, fire them all.

• Upvote 1

If Bergevin wanted to save money, then just waive Tinordi instead of taking some salary back. No ?

They must see something useful in Bartley. Cuz if they see something useful in Scott, fire them all.

:thumbs_up:

I think CC nailed it in that we shouldn't be happy that our 2010 first rounder is a bust.

That said, we can't evaluate this trade today as us giving up a first rounder. We have to evaluate it as its been 5.5 years since he was drafted and he's done NOTHING.

The other thing is that it probably wasn't great asset management. Machine is probably right that we could have gotten more for him in October. E.g., if we could have gotten a 5th for him, that probably would have been better than what we ended up with. (Conversely, MB may be thinking about this primarily as a swap of AHLers, in which case a 5th would be of less value than getting back AHL-calibre bodies).

But the only way anyone gives a rat's ass about this two years from now is if Tinordi becomes more than a bottom-pairing, borderline NHLer. Time will tell on that front, but we can say with some confidence that he has never really looked like becoming much more than that.

I'm guessing that the disproportionate outrage REALLY comes less from the trade per se and more from the fact that most of us want Zoot Suit to go out and make a significant move that will improve the damned NHL club. But that, in itself, does not make this specific deal worth getting mad about, since it in no way prevents us from going out and making that Big Move.

Dunno. Still seems like a big fat 'meh' to me.

It's funny - there are cap savings with this trade but the Habs are actually shelling out more in actual money:

Tinordi: $850,000

Fournier: $62,500 (AHL salary)

Total: $912,500

Bartley: $800,000 (salary, not cap hit)

Scott: $575,000

Total: $1,375,000

Of course, these numbers are pro-rated and all (there's roughly 46% of the season left) but still, Montreal is spending more in terms of money actually paid to the players as a result of this trade.

Maybe it's a precursor to a bigger trade, maybe at the deadline with Arizona? Kinda a solid by Berg in good faith?

Or it's just that Bergevin actually knows his sh!t, and that is about all Tinordi is worth? Sh!t?

It's funny - there are cap savings with this trade but the Habs are actually shelling out more in actual money:

Tinordi: $850,000

Fournier: $62,500 (AHL salary)

Total: $912,500

Bartley: $800,000 (salary, not cap hit)

Scott: $575,000

Total: $1,375,000

Of course, these numbers are pro-rated and all (there's roughly 46% of the season left) but still, Montreal is spending more in terms of money actually paid to the players as a result of this trade.

How much is it with AHL money for Scott and Bartley ?

IMO Bartley is the new Drewiske/Weaver (2015 weaver)

122 NHL games

He goes to St. Johns when Gilbert is healthy.

He becomes our emergency dman if we get into playoff injuries on D

122 NHL games

Ok, so no real upside on Tinordi then.

Weird trade. Habs were afraid to lose Tinordi on waivers for nothing. So they trade him for two players that likely will not play for the Habs and likely will not be resigned at the end of the year. So essentially nothing. The only advantages to this move that I can see is the marginal cap savings and the Habs controlled Tinordi's destination (western conference). Personally I would have taken the chance and placed him on waivers and sent him to the minors if he cleared.

Guest Stogey24

122 NHL games

Why are you trying to justify this trade?