Montreal Canadiens vs. St. Louis Blues | January 16th, 2016 | 7:00 EST

Habsfan84

well now this is 2 questionable moves in a span of a couple days for both GM and Coach

Galchenyuk has been our best forward for some time now, he is the last Piece that should have been touched, if anything the moves should have been to move him up and play with El Capitaine and Gallagher. this is such backwards thinking, i'm really starting to wonder if Panic has not seeped into the coach's office too, because this has to be as close to "were trying any old thing" type of crap that I've seen here for awhile. I thought we were done with Galchenyuk on wing, he has played just fine at center, been the best center through this whole slump, yet for some reason, he is the one who gets bounced?

This whole, veterans get away with murder while young guys continue to have to take the adjustments in stride, type of nonsense has to get out of the air. It is always a young guy taking the fall, from Carr and Andrighetto going back down, Beaulieu being benched, to now Galchenyuk being bumped back to wing for some ridiculous excuse about defense while DD gets to cozy up in the spot Galchneyuk was doing very honorably in. Its about time the Veterans find their own ways out of the mud, its about time the veterans who commit heinous giveaways get benched instantly the way Beaulieu did, because they have been just as guilty of having moments like that all year too.

Well...we DID kinda deserve to win that Chicago game.

If the team outplays high-powered opponents but simply fails to capitalize on its many chances, there really isn't much the coach can do about it.

• Upvote 1

I guess this all depends on the narrative you want to tell.

Some see a mistake by the coach and its therrein punishing his best centre by putting him on the wing.

Others see a team that doesn't have the depth to keep playing this top 9 bottom 3 way of doing things, and see Therrien stacking a second line togo to a top 6/bottom 6 philosophy to try and generate more offence.

• Upvote 1

I guess this all depends on the narrative you want to tell.

Some see a mistake by the coach and its therrein punishing his best centre by putting him on the wing.

Others see a team that doesn't have the depth to keep playing this top 9 bottom 3 way of doing things, and see Therrien stacking a second line togo to a top 6/bottom 6 philosophy to try and generate more offence.

Therrien was explicit: he wants to free Galchenyuk up to concentrate on offence, and liked how the DD-Galy combo looked in the 3rd of last game.

Seems like a non-issue to me, but we're now at that 'melt-down' point where NOTHING is a non-issue to the fan-base, and EVERYTHING the Habs do is automatically and axiomatically wrong. Only wins will simmer things down.

• Upvote 1

Therrien was explicit: he wants to free Galchenyuk up to concentrate on offence, and liked how the DD-Galy combo looked in the 3rd of last game.

Seems like a non-issue to me, but we're now at that 'melt-down' point where NOTHING is a non-issue to the fan-base, and EVERYTHING the Habs do is automatically and axiomatically wrong. Only wins will simmer things down.

In my own defense, this is my first moment where i'm starting to see things I don't agree with at this stage from the people in charge, Galchenyuk is a Center, it is where we need him to be when the time comes to go for a cup. I'm done with any excuse to move him from that position short of, He just isn't performing well at all there, which clearly has been anything but the case. my point is DD should be the one bumped to the wing in order to make the top 6, he is the one struggling he is the one who makes the adjustment to see a more offensive role with skilled players.

We all know here, this team goes nowhere in the hopes for a cup as long as Plekanec is a top line center and Desharnais is your second line Center. Galchenyuk has to become the #1 and Plekanec the #2 just to get our ducks in a row for a Chance to build a true contender. The only adjustment Galchneyuk should have seen was a move in between Max and Gallagher, otherwise you leave him where he was, their is no amount of wool that will make me see this differently, it is simply my opinion. And in this case I firmly believe Therrien is wrong, and succumb to some form of panic, trying to mask his move with a ridiculous unfounded reason. Can anyone tell me in what instance Galchenyuk has looked like a major liability defensively? or looked so ineffective offensively because he is trying to be the next Malholtra? from my view the answer to both of these is a solid Hell No.

So, No coach, i'm not following your logic here

We NEED Galchenyuk to become a centre - if not a #1 at least a #2. he is isn't going to do that playing the wing. This is year 4. He should have been getting extended looks at centre during the last 2 years.

If he did show chemistry with DD. Move friggin DD to the wing. Galchenyuk isn't suddenly going to morph as a dominent centre or improve his ability on face-offs playing the wing.

Well...we DID kinda deserve to win that Chicago game.

If the team outplays high-powered opponents but simply fails to capitalize on its many chances, there really isn't much the coach can do about it.

Oh I don't know, kick some garbage cans, slam some doors, beat up a cab driver? There has to be something. I jest.

In my own defense, this is my first moment where i'm starting to see things I don't agree with at this stage from the people in charge, Galchenyuk is a Center, it is where we need him to be when the time comes to go for a cup. I'm done with any excuse to move him from that position short of, He just isn't performing well at all there, which clearly has been anything but the case. my point is DD should be the one bumped to the wing in order to make the top 6, he is the one struggling he is the one who makes the adjustment to see a more offensive role with skilled players.

We all know here, this team goes nowhere in the hopes for a cup as long as Plekanec is a top line center and Desharnais is your second line Center. Galchenyuk has to become the #1 and Plekanec the #2 just to get our ducks in a row for a Chance to build a true contender. The only adjustment Galchneyuk should have seen was a move in between Max and Gallagher, otherwise you leave him where he was, their is no amount of wool that will make me see this differently, it is simply my opinion. And in this case I firmly believe Therrien is wrong, and succumb to some form of panic, trying to mask his move with a ridiculous unfounded reason. Can anyone tell me in what instance Galchenyuk has looked like a major liability defensively? or looked so ineffective offensively because he is trying to be the next Malholtra? from my view the answer to both of these is a solid Hell No.

I agree completely, also the fact that we criticize does not make us idiots. We have opinions and are entitled to them. This team has a problem, it can't score goals. Whistling through the grave yard is not going to help.

If you watched the third period last game, Galchenyuk played a lot fo "centre" in the offensive zone and "wing" in the defensive end.

i've watched many periods this season, and at the end of any game i've watched, I have never thought to myself "holy cow Galchenyuk really sucks defensively". Any defensive imperfections in Galchenyuk's game have been mostly non factors, not contributing to any loses directly. However his contribution at Center and from the top line, will directly contribute to many wins in the Future, problem is we have to get him there, and him spending another second on wing while Price and Pacioretty's contracts continue to tick away is to me, a waste of a window we may not have anymore in 3 years time.

this is simply the wrong move and focusing in the wrong area, Galchenyuk's roster position should have been just as far as a thought for the coaching staff as the position of Gallagher or Pacioretty. those have been your 3 best forwards all season, therefore, 9 other spots should be focused on before you even bat an eye in their direction.

I think this is a short term solution for an instant injection of offence in a team that badly needs some confidence.

A few days or even weeks of Galchenyuk on the wing isn't going to slow his development IMO.

Now if we are staying he stays there the rest of the season, I agree with you. But I'm not ready to come to that conclusion yet.

Not to send the Therrien haters haywire, but I have to think to Commandants point about a temporary solution to kickstart the offense is all that Therrien can do, try and stop the bleeding, and you have to admit, that line looked pretty good vs Chicago.

He is trying his best, with what he has to work with, and although most of us want Galchenyuk at center, we are so weak at wing in the top 6, this is a logical move by the coach.

Coaching is not the problem with this team...

• Upvote 1

Not to send the Therrien haters haywire, but I have to think to Commandants point about a temporary solution to kickstart the offense is all that Therrien can do, try and stop the bleeding, and you have to admit, that line looked pretty good vs Chicago.

He is trying his best, with what he has to work with, and although most of us want Galchenyuk at center, we are so weak at wing in the top 6, this is a logical move by the coach.

Coaching is not the problem with this team...

I am sorry, but I do think coaching is a problem. No Price no win, How is the coaching so good? I am not blaming him for this fiasco entirely but at some point you gotta cut bait. This is a results business and he is not getting the right results.

LOL

The center corps since 2011 is starting to remind me of Edmonton's front office pre-Chiarelli. Larry, DD and Plek, just shuffle em around! Subtract a Gomez, add a Mitchell. Take two aspirins and call the doc in the morning.

I really want to see a win tonight. This has been a brutal team to follow over the last couple of months. And unlike the Panthers, who I can just disengage from as a surrogate team, I'll keep watching these bums stink the place out, sickening.

de la Rose has 6pts in last 10gms in AHL, since coming back from injury in mid Dec. he has been more productive.

Am curious to see how he does and if this is a 'showcase' call up, or they actually think he is better fit than Carr?

On a more positive note. Habsfan84 that is a great GDT. With any amount of luck you will do more and I look forward to that. :thumbs_up:

Thank you, I'm hoping to be able to.

Hope the Habs show up tonight so it can justify me not watching the football game tonight. Habs just need a little offence. Condon has been playing great. Go Habs Go!!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, great new DD line. Great job by DD and Weisse in picking up the goal scorer. Great defensive coverage by the centre. Le Genius strikes again!

Nice job by useless SMURF DD doing a lazy stickcheck attempt instead of actually getting his body between the shooter and the net, and oh...I don't know...maybe impeding his progress to the rebound.

Yes, I said the S-word...bite me if you don't like it. Fed up! Mush soft BS

Ugh.

Well, we now need two goals to win. May as well pack it up for the night.

Good for MT for trying the Coach's Challenge - desperate times call for desperate measures. But it failed, of course, like everything else this team touches.

DD really made a case for himself, didn't he. Pathetic.

Im ready to bury DD in the minors. Lets go Chuck, Pleck, Eller and Mitchel down the middle and let Carr fill the empty spot on the wing.

If you think that was poor coverage from DD on the first goal, just wait till the playoffs..... if we get in.

last minute of play in the 1st. Offensive zone face-off and Le Genius puts on the 4th line. Habs end up in their own zone and give up a 3 scoring chances.