Tank Nation

Commandant

But could take expiring contracts to make room for Stamkos come free agency.

Sure, any selling team should have no issues taking back expiring contracts. That doesn't help the acquiring teams' added cap issues for the following season(s) though. That's the part they'll insist on offsetting; if they don't get that, they'll opt for the expiring guy instead.

Sure, any selling team should have no issues taking back expiring contracts. That doesn't help the acquiring teams' added cap issues for the following season(s) though. That's the part they'll insist on offsetting; if they don't get that, they'll opt for the expiring guy instead.

I get how difficult it is to make a deal. However, the return on two deals as you have laid out (Markov and Desharnais deals) make no sense to the Canadiens at all. So in MHO, no deal. We move on. I think that's what your point is.

Next Habsworld poll: what pick will we end up with? My guess is 9th. It'll be interesting to see what Timmins will be able to do with a much higher choice.

That's a good idea, assuming the slide continues over the next little bit. (If it doesn't, they'll move up in the standings making the poll a little harder to do.) I'll try to remember this one.

8th and getting closer to the prize hopefully!

Will it be a 0 for this weekend? Two more losses would likely force Bergevin to pull plug on season (if not already planning on that).

Guest Stogey24

8th and getting closer to the prize hopefully!

Will it be a 0 for this weekend? Two more losses would likely force Bergevin to pull plug on season (if not already planning on that).

After seeing Price skate, I think the season is all but over for these guys.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see Bergevin make a couple moves before deadline. Weise seems like a guy that's going to get shipped

After seeing Price skate, I think the season is all but over for these guys.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see Bergevin make a couple moves before deadline. Weise seems like a guy that's going to get shipped

Yes, most likely, as someone said already, he is not worth what the market will bring him for salary, he will be paid as a 20 goal man(or nearly), and really is probably only a 12 goal 4th line guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt the Habs win the draft lottery or even get close to a top 5 pick. The best we can probably hope for is around 10th to 15th. Unfortunately they are better than most of the other non-playoff teams and if Price returns you can expect them to get close to playoffs or maybe even sneak in. Nothing worse than being a bubble team at trade deadline time.

I doubt the Habs win the draft lottery or even get close to a top 5 pick. The best we can probably hope for is around 10th to 15th. Unfortunately they are better than most of the other non-playoff teams and if Price returns you can expect them to get close to playoffs or maybe even sneak in. Nothing worse than being a bubble team at trade deadline time.

Sorry to break it to you John but our team absolutely SUCKS right now. It's not because they are deficient talent wise rather because they are a dysfunctional group that is playing with zero emotion or pride.

I actually think that this bodes best for their odds of landing a top 5 pick. Unless Zoot Suit fires his sidekick or they trade someone of importance.

We are 9th TODAY

How do you figure the best we can hope for is 10th to 15th?

Price hasn't even put on pads yet... if he puts on pads tomorrow, he's still 2-3 weeks away from actually playing.

Top 5 is easily reachable imo.

Site is broken

Teams other than the Oilers win.

oh yea, the tank is strong with this team. Now MT is throwing players under the bus, this train wreck will only get worse.

They'll be top 5 no problem.

Sell a handful of players at the deadline pick up another first, I'd be ok with that.

I feel a bit dirty that I look at the NHL standings, set the page to show "Entire League"...just to see how close the Habs are to the bottom.

I still cheer for them to win, as others have stated, but I'm no longer deflated when they lose.

• Upvote 1

I'm aware that the Habs are currently selecting 9th, but they are also tied with Arizona and Ottawa with 58 pts. They are only 2 behind Minnesota (who are also struggling), and Philly. Most of the teams behind the Habs are rebuilding (or just coming out of a rebuild) and are willing sellers at the deadline. Those teams also have more high profile rentals that they will likely unload making them worse. Habs are looking for long term help that will help now and in the very near future. It's hard to compete against teams who are committed to tanking. Unloading Gilbert, Weise, and Fleischmann doesn't hurt the Habs as much as Winnipeg moving Ladd, Calgary moving Hudler and Russell, Vancouver moving Vrbata and Hamhuis, ect. hurts those other teams. They play the Jets, Leafs, Flames, and Sens 1 more time. They play the Sabres 2 more. They would have to lose the majority of those games and hope for some help from other teams.

I just don't think the Habs can lose more games than the teams chasing them. I'm not saying it's not possible, just improbable. I'm all in for a tank and I'm hoping for a good pick.