Tank Nation

Commandant

I'm aware that the Habs are currently selecting 9th, but they are also tied with Arizona and Ottawa with 58 pts. They are only 2 behind Minnesota (who are also struggling), and Philly. Most of the teams behind the Habs are rebuilding (or just coming out of a rebuild) and are willing sellers at the deadline. Those teams also have more high profile rentals that they will likely unload making them worse. Habs are looking for long term help that will help now and in the very near future. It's hard to compete against teams who are committed to tanking. Unloading Gilbert, Weise, and Fleischmann doesn't hurt the Habs as much as Winnipeg moving Ladd, Calgary moving Hudler and Russell, Vancouver moving Vrbata and Hamhuis, ect. hurts those other teams. They play the Jets, Leafs, Flames, and Sens 1 more time. They play the Sabres 2 more. They would have to lose the majority of those games and hope for some help from other teams.

I just don't think the Habs can lose more games than the teams chasing them. I'm not saying it's not possible, just improbable. I'm all in for a tank and I'm hoping for a good pick.

The way they been playing lately, they could accomplish the impossible and finish last.

I'm aware that the Habs are currently selecting 9th, but they are also tied with Arizona and Ottawa with 58 pts. They are only 2 behind Minnesota (who are also struggling), and Philly. Most of the teams behind the Habs are rebuilding (or just coming out of a rebuild) and are willing sellers at the deadline. Those teams also have more high profile rentals that they will likely unload making them worse. Habs are looking for long term help that will help now and in the very near future. It's hard to compete against teams who are committed to tanking. Unloading Gilbert, Weise, and Fleischmann doesn't hurt the Habs as much as Winnipeg moving Ladd, Calgary moving Hudler and Russell, Vancouver moving Vrbata and Hamhuis, ect. hurts those other teams. They play the Jets, Leafs, Flames, and Sens 1 more time. They play the Sabres 2 more. They would have to lose the majority of those games and hope for some help from other teams.

I just don't think the Habs can lose more games than the teams chasing them. I'm not saying it's not possible, just improbable. I'm all in for a tank and I'm hoping for a good pick.

We've been the worst team in the NHL.... the absolute worst, for two and a half months now, with the same roster. I'm sure we can keep losing. Playing those teams is great, and will only help them to pass us.

Never say never. They were first in the division six weeks ago, and they have 19 points in their last ten weeks, the next worse team has 28. A .200 winning percentage. Do you have any reason to think this team turns it around, especially when the games mean less for them, and other teams start playing playoff hockey? Me either.

The numerous teams below them are there for a good reason and Habs will win some games by accident, maybe even today vs a shitty Philly team or Leafs later this month. But just too much ground to make up on some teams who will all get badder in ten days.

Guest Stogey24

I can bet you come March, when some teams are already set for the playoffs, Habs are gonna win a bunch of games and start looking like how they did in October. The players are going to feel like they still have something to prove.

The Goaltending won't hold up for that to happen

I'll take that bet.

The roster has no talent, no character, MT is now throwing players under the bus. This team is only interesting to watch at this point to see how low they can go, and what train wreck happens next. Oh and who gets traded.

After the 25 game mark, they have been the worst team in the league. Why would that change?

I think there's a good chance that Therrien's attack on PK Subban represents a tipping point, pushing the per centage of players that have tuned him out over into critical mass. If so, the team will play out the string listlessly, waiting for an off-season reset.

Ok, anyone who does not believe the time to dump now is nuts. The season is over. this team desperately needs to keep to the long-term plan and build through the draft....

This team needs total offseason reboot that includes some pscho-group-therapy. I think Therien went after PK because he knows he has to go and in order to save Bergevin from his own misguided public commitment to his fox hole buddy. I like Bergevin, but his unwillingness to get a real goaltender after Carey went down killed us this season....(a right winger could have helped too)

Right now, they should move who they can (Weise, Byron, Gilbert, and yes, Markov) for draft picks, try to move Desharnais, Fleishmann, Smith Pelly for equipment bags, ice packs and/or new sticks and move some of the farm guys up (De la Rose, Lessio, Holloway, Hudon, Ellis, Deitz -- maybe even McCarron and Scherbak) for a better look with no pressure.

There are still some great pieces -- Patch, Carey, Chucky, Gally, Plex, Subban and Nathan Beaulieu. Let's get these guys on a dude ranch with Dr. Phil and get them together under new leadership on the bench. Nothing to lose now, send a message, get a new coach and give the new coach the rest of this season and summer to evaluate organizational talent...

what a mess!

Ok, anyone who does not believe the time to dump now is nuts. The season is over. this team desperately needs to keep to the long-term plan and build through the draft....

This team needs total offseason reboot that includes some pscho-group-therapy. I think Therien went after PK because he knows he has to go and in order to save Bergevin from his own misguided public commitment to his fox hole buddy. I like Bergevin, but his unwillingness to get a real goaltender after Carey went down killed us this season....(a right winger could have helped too)

Right now, they should move who they can (Weise, Byron, Gilbert, and yes, Markov) for draft picks, try to move Desharnais, Fleishmann, Smith Pelly for equipment bags, ice packs and/or new sticks and move some of the farm guys up (De la Rose, Lessio, Holloway, Hudon, Ellis, Deitz -- maybe even McCarron and Scherbak) for a better look with no pressure.

There are still some great pieces -- Patch, Carey, Chucky, Gally, Plex, Subban and Nathan Beaulieu. Let's get these guys on a dude ranch with Dr. Phil and get them together under new leadership on the bench. Nothing to lose now, send a message, get a new coach and give the new coach the rest of this season and summer to evaluate organizational talent...

what a mess!

I agree that the time to sell is now.

On the bolded

a 2nd round pick for James Reimer would have got that deal done (say our own pick)

a 2nd and prospect probably gets us a rental winger too.

None of that means anything to me though, cause Bergevins goal should never have been to SAVE the season, or to MAKE the playoffs.... his goal should be icing a Contender and trying to win the cup.

Trading future assets for pieces that get us in the playoffs but not far in the playoffs would have been silly to me.

I'm glad we didn't.

On the coach.... there are two coaches available now who fit the language requirement... Lefebvre and Boucher. Wait til the offseason and there are dozens more. I think we keep therrien til april just to be able to evaluate all potential candidates.

Guest Stogey24

Agree...my only fear with keeping Therien is the continued poisoning of the room and the potential that even in his absence the core will be unable to move forward as a unit...

Exactly.

On the coach.... there are two coaches available now who fit the language requirement... Lefebvre and Boucher. Wait til the offseason and there are dozens more. I think we keep therrien til april just to be able to evaluate all potential candidates.

Why do you keep saying that ?

It's irrelevant.

Ever heard of an interim ?

It's irrelevant.

An interim coach has less clout than Therrien does with the players. Why should I listen to this coach when he won't be back next year? At least with Therrien, there is the potential that he's back next season. And the interim coach would likely be Lefebvre - does anyone really want him working his magic with the NHL players?

It's irrelevant.

So yeah, Lefebvre... one of the two people available now to take this job.

Here is the problem with an interim. Therrien is dead man walking.

You hire an interim and he goes 15-5 down the stretch and you barely miss the playoffs, now there is a ton of pressure to keep a guy who isn't the solution (Lefebvre) and you've ed up the draft position. Why bother?

You hire an interim and he goes 15-5 down the stretch and you barely miss the playoffs, now there is a ton of pressure to keep a guy who isn't the solution (Lefebvre) and you've ######ed up the draft position. Why bother?

My thoughts exactly.

I agree that the time to sell is now.

On the bolded

a 2nd round pick for James Reimer would have got that deal done (say our own pick)

a 2nd and prospect probably gets us a rental winger too.

None of that means anything to me though, cause Bergevins goal should never have been to SAVE the season, or to MAKE the playoffs.... his goal should be icing a Contender and trying to win the cup.

Trading future assets for pieces that get us in the playoffs but not far in the playoffs would have been silly to me.

I'm glad we didn't.

Awesome post! So was your last one re coach.

You hire an interim and he goes 15-5 down the stretch and you barely miss the playoffs, now there is a ton of pressure to keep a guy who isn't the solution (Lefebvre) and you've ######ed up the draft position. Why bother?

I agree that it is a risk, but a minimal one.

If you fire Therrien, you also trade several NHLers and replace them with rookies or plugs. AND you shut Carey down.

No way we go 15-5 with or without interim.