Drouin leaves his AHL team, suspended indefinitely

Commandant

Cedric Paquette is no defensive stalwart.

Point taken.

I have no problem with MB pursuing Drouin, myself. This organization lacks elite talent at FW. That the kid comes with question-marks is precisely what makes him available and, potentially, affordable in terms of assets sent the other way.

Cooper thought enough, right or wrong, to linematch Paquette with Jonathan Toews in the Cup final last year. It's important to have the right mix of players. Tampa can only have so many small and medium size speedy forwards. This year, Namestnikov took his job. Plain and simple.

Imagine after his second season Bergevin sent Galchenyuk down to the AHL because he felt his defence wasn't good enough. Would you have been in support of that decision? Or would you recognize that there's far more Galchenyuk could learn up in the NHL and that he's too good of a talent to leave in the minor league?

Yes absolutely.--- there may be a handful of elite scores that get away with not committing to go both ways- everybody else conforms or finds themselves out of the league-

Cooper thought enough, right or wrong, to linematch Paquette with Jonathan Toews in the Cup final last year. It's important to have the right mix of players. Tampa can only have so many small and medium size speedy forwards. This year, Namestnikov took his job. Plain and simple.

How'd that line matching work for tampa?

We should also remember that Seguin was written off as a spoiled punk. So was Spezza.

Dallas happily swooped in and claimed both of those guys from teams that lacked the patience and imagination to work with them on the maturation process.

Drouin could go the Ribeiro/Fats route. Or he could go the other way.

Depending on the return, it's a risk worth running for an organization that NEEDS elite talent up front.

• 2 weeks later...

The asking price must be too high for Drouin. Trading him within the division is highly unlikely as well for Yzerman; he could be that diamond in the ruff style player that MB is seeking and that mystery top 6 piece that the Habs desperately need. Andrighetto+picks could be more than enough? Very well might be worth the risk if we're going to play tug of war in the standings this season. The difference between a gamble on Semin and a gamble on Drouin is the fact that you can't change skillset (Semin's depreciated) but you can change a players mentality. Drouin has the pedigree and production of a top 6 considering the circumstances he's had in his brief stint with the Lightning thus far.

The asking price must be too high for Drouin. Trading him within the division is highly unlikely as well for Yzerman; he could be that diamond in the ruff style player that MB is seeking and that mystery top 6 piece that the Habs desperately need. Andrighetto+picks could be more than enough? Very well might be worth the risk if we're going to play tug of war in the standings this season. The difference between a gamble on Semin and a gamble on Drouin is the fact that you can't change skillset (Semin's depreciated) but you can change a players mentality. Drouin has the pedigree and production of a top 6 considering the circumstances he's had in his brief stint with the Lightning thus far.

Andrighetto's not really worth a whole lot, probably no more than a 3rd round pick on his own. He wouldn't be a centrepiece in a deal for Drouin (unless those picks you mention are really, really high).

Andrighetto's not really worth a whole lot, probably no more than a 3rd round pick on his own. He wouldn't be a centrepiece in a deal for Drouin (unless those picks you mention are really, really high).

A couple of first round picks if we play push and shove in the standings til seasons end wouldn't make fans cringe too much I don't think? Yzerman is likely thinking something now as opposed to future value though and we don't have the assets his crosshairs are on.

A couple of first round picks if we play push and shove in the standings til seasons end wouldn't make fans cringe too much I don't think? Yzerman is likely thinking something now as opposed to future value though and we don't have the assets his crosshairs are on.

2 first round picks would make me cringe, that's for sure. Given the current slide, one of those 1st rounders could very well be a lottery selection which is a big risk and adding Drouin doesn't really change a whole lot in terms of their current fortunes. I agree, I think he's looking for current help which may be helping to hold things up a bit.