2016 All Star Weekend Thread

dlbalr

What? we're evaluating performance in this side show as a means of determining callups

Do you think the other players weren't desperately trying to get scott goals? Do you think people were playing actual defence against John Scott? Come on man.... its pretty clear what was going on out there. The players have heard the stories, they read the players tribune shit, they felt bad for scott and were gonna make sure he not only didn't get embarrassed, they were gonna make sure he was the star of the show.

None of this changes what type of hockey player John Scott is, and what he can and can't provide.

Asking for a callup based on this is just being ridiculous.

I think it is more about calling him up so people can cheer for someone they have grown to like.

Having a player in the lineup who can't score isn't exactly new for us this season....

None of this changes what type of hockey player John Scott is, and what he can and can't provide.

Asking for a callup based on this is just being ridiculous.

Says Mr. Tank Nation. Ironic. You'd think he'd be perfect for everybody.

• Upvote 1

Before the All-Star game, almost everyone on here was in agreement that Scott was an embarassment who had no place wearing the CH.

Now all sorts of people want him called up, playing for the CH.

Either a number of posters have suddenly been converted to the value of goons, or we seriously believe that Scott has 'hidden skills' that somehow have been wrongly obscured all those years.

Before the All-Star game, almost everyone on here was in agreement that Scott was an embarassment who had no place wearing the CH.

Either a number of posters have suddenly been converted to the value of goons, or we seriously believe that Scott has 'hidden skills' that somehow have been wrongly obscured all those years.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that Scott has hidden offensive talent that would blossom with the right linemates; just think he'd lay the body, maybe smack around a thorn in our side or two, and possibly be a good front of net presence for the 4th line. He'd provide more entertainment value than many of the stiffs that are in the lineup night after night, so why not shake things up and see if maybe it sparks some team chemistry and excitement? Its more of a 'how could it possibly hurt?' argument.

Or possibly like me I was kidding. :) Unless of course he comes up to break Chara's ankle then I am in.

The AHL All Star Game goes tonight. Like the NHL, it's a tournament of sorts. Unlike the NHL though, it's a bit of a confusing setup.

McCarron and Ellis play in the North Division. Their games are as follows:

7:18 PM EST vs Pacific

8:12 PM EST vs Central

9:24 PM EST vs Atlantic

And if they make it though, the Final is at 9:42 PM EST. Each game lasts nine minutes and is part 4-on-4 and part 3-on-3. Sportsnet has the coverage if anyone's interested in seeing just how confusing this may be.

Results from the skills yesterday: http://theahl.com/2016-skills-competition-p200959 (There are a few ex-Habs/prospects in there...)

I don't think anyone is under the impression that Scott has hidden offensive talent that would blossom with the right linemates; just think he'd lay the body, maybe smack around a thorn in our side or two, and possibly be a good front of net presence for the 4th line. He'd provide more entertainment value than many of the stiffs that are in the lineup night after night, so why not shake things up and see if maybe it sparks some team chemistry and excitement? Its more of a 'how could it possibly hurt?' argument.

If you find the team being pinned in its own end for long periods of time to have "entertainment value" then sure, I guess we could do that.

I don't want anything do with him. My comments of him showing more finish and better hands than our current roster is a did at our guys - not a compliment to Scott.

Through 2 of 3 games in the AHL All Star Game, McCarron has a goal, Ellis an assist. Their division is 1-1; the winner of their final matchup will determine whether or not they go to the finals.

A game like this makes McCarron's relative lack of foot speed rather apparent. (I say relative lack as he's a good skater for his size...but quite a few of the other skilled players are all really strong skaters.) His goal was a nice play on a 2-on-1. I didn't see much of the second game but Ellis was strong in limited minutes in Game 1. The star of that game was Peter Budaj, who made 15 saves including several breakaways in a losing effort (in 9 minutes of action).

I don't like the idea of a goon who can't play hockey... sorry if that offends you.

I personally couldn't care less if Scott ever dresses for the Habs.

That "can't play hockey" thing is overstated. Nothing to do with Scott but just because a player is fighter does not mean they can't play hockey.

I could see Scott having a positive impact on the team briefly though. Who knows, he could bring a smile or two to the locker room. I don't expect it to happen in the immediate future though and don't actually think it would have a huge impact either way other than the small positive I mentioned as well as reducing the minutes of our fourth liners on the negative side of things.

I personally couldn't care less if Scott ever dresses for the Habs.

That "can't play hockey" thing is overstated. Nothing to do with Scott but just because a player is fighter does not mean they can't play hockey.

I could see Scott having a positive impact on the team briefly though. Who knows, he could bring a smile or two to the locker room. I don't expect it to happen in the immediate future though and don't actually think it would have a huge impact either way other than the small positive I mentioned as well as reducing the minutes of our fourth liners on the negative side of things.

Its not because he's a fighter that I think John Scott can't play hockey.

Its watching John Scott throughout his career shows that he "can't play hockey".

The guy is a forward and has a career record of 5 goals and 11 points in 285 games.

The guy has a career corsi of 45% with HUGE offensive zone starts and hugely sheltered competition. Even with those zone starts and heavily sheltered competition he is -4% relative to his teammates.

In other words, the numbers confirm the eye test... he's a terrible hockey player who plays limited minutes against easy competition and gets pinned in his own zone while on the ice.

There is a reason that even in the AHL, the Ice Caps are using him on the fourth line, cause he can't even compete against decent AHL players and needs his minutes and matchups managed at that level.

Chris Nilan was a fighter who could play hockey. Bob Probert could play hockey. John Scott can't play hockey.

Chris Nilan was a fighter who could play hockey. Bob Probert could play hockey. John Scott can't play hockey.

Anyone who has played in the NHL can play hockey. I remember coming through Jr hockey development camps and 4th line NHL "dusters" made an appearance looking super talented. Truth is, our bottom 6 have done shit all in terms of production and it would feel nice to see someone who has all the confidence in the world right now to get the call. If we gave George frigging Parros a shot at being in our regular season lineup, why the hell can't we bring Scott up for a couple of games? Lastly, at least he won't pull a George Laraque on the organization if he got the call and we could see some interesting tillys.

when the Habs are firmly out of the thick of the playoff race. Could happen as soon as Valentine's Day.

Momentum says that day has come and gone... :1vomit:

Anyone who has played in the NHL can play hockey. I remember coming through Jr hockey development camps and 4th line NHL "dusters" made an appearance looking super talented. Truth is, our bottom 6 have done shit all in terms of production and it would feel nice to see someone who has all the confidence in the world right now to get the call. If we gave George frigging Parros a shot at being in our regular season lineup, why the hell can't we bring Scott up for a couple of games? Lastly, at least he won't pull a George Laraque on the organization if he got the call and we could see some interesting tillys.

Playing hockey in a beer league and playing hockey at the NHL level are two different things.

And comparing him to George Parros and Georges Laraque is all i need to know... can't play hockey at the NHL level. Heck we've seen that Scott can't play at the AHL level either.

Also what is this "truth is our bottom 6 have done shit in terms of production"... WHAT? Do you watch the games? The Paul Byrons, Torrey Mitchells, and Bryan Flynns of this team have done much in terms of production... they've been better than the fourth liners we've had in a long time.... its the rest of the lineup that isn't doing shit.

I think Scott will play one game as a farewell similar to Colton Orr when the Habs are firmly out of the thick of the playoff race. Could happen as soon as Valentine's Day.

I could possibly see them calling him up after the deadline but that would be to make it so that he's not taking someone's spot in the AHL lineup more than anything else.

The Paul Byrons, Torrey Mitchells, and Bryan Flynns of this team have done much in terms of production... they've been better than the fourth liners we've had in a long time.... its the rest of the lineup that isn't doing shit.

You are missing the point. I am not questioning any of the above players mentioned skills or the fact that the Canadiens finally have a deeper roster; sometime a team requires a BOOST. Not like anyone has answered the bell during this slide? Maybe if they watched Scott get in a tilly or two they will get a much spirited lift. I don't care if it's a one game stint or he finishes the season in Montreal. Also, since the rest of the lineup isn't doing 'shit', why not substitute one of those players out for him to put in perspective how SHIT they are really playing?

You are missing the point. I am not questioning any of the above players mentioned skills or the fact that the Canadiens finally have a deeper roster; sometime a team requires a BOOST. Not like anyone has answered the bell during this slide? Maybe if they watched Scott get in a tilly or two they will get a much spirited lift. I don't care if it's a one game stint or he finishes the season in Montreal. Also, since the rest of the lineup isn't doing 'shit', why not substitute one of those players out for him to put in perspective how SHIT they are really playing?

But the rest of the lineup is doing shite...

We are not getting outplayed or blown out every game, but add another poor skater and defensive liability, who will not help exit our zone with speed, and that will add a chance or two to the oppositions chances, we can't afford to give up too many more chances, because our goalies are under siege as it is, with the glaring give aways we have become so good at.

Scott can protect the farm hands, and lay his memory of the Allstar weekend out to rust...

Fights don't give spirited lifts... thats a media creation, but the fact is fighting has little effect on the game... puck possession before/after fights doesnt' show any correlation to changes

With our luck he will fall on his face and be gone for the year.