Distraction Thread - How much will Carey cost us after 17-18?

zumpano21

Getting a little tired of all the hand wringing 'round these parts lately. So in an effort to think and move laterally from the current predicament, I've had this thought on my mind lately.

As comparables (salary for 15-16, not AAV):

Weber 14.0

Kane 13.8

Toews 13.8

Crosby 12.0

Kessel 10.0

Lundqvist 10.0 (highest goalie)

I'd say he needs to show that he can still play first. He has been starting to show a serious pattern of being injured. Who knows if he'll ever be the same again......

Christ, what a nightmare that would be!!!

Agree with C-Love on this, as he sits right now he is not worth much. If he comes back next year, avoids injury and is back in top form, he will be in the 10-12 mill bracket.

If I'm his agent I show Bergevin three pieces of paper.

On the first is the Habs record over the last 3 years with Price starting

on the second is the Habs record with every other goalie in net.

On the third is my asking price

$100 billion gagiglllion dollars...

Any questions?

Yes, open the vault - but NOT if he is becoming Rick DiPietro. I share in the general anxiety that he may be damaged goods, but two more years should be sufficient to determine whether or not this is the case.

Assuming he's healthy, well, he is the single most valuable player in all of hockey and therefore will likely expect to get paid like it.

Hes played 65 plus games every other year.

His injuries have been at unfortunate times, but this is the first one that is truly a long-term injury.

The other injuries were of the 1-2 week variety and at times when we were in the playoffs and can't survive two weeks without him.

all goalies pick up minor injuries.

Add to that of all the guys we want to say are elite, we've seen Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick, etc... be just as injured as price.

I'm not worried about the long term here.

Everything the Blue Jays doctor said on sportsnet the other night makes sense (and is on point with what you find on the internet about MCLs). He's got an MCL injury. These injuries heal with time. Surgery doesn't help and doesn't speed things up. All you can do is keep rehabbing and wait it out. I'm sure he's fine long before September comes, he's just not helping this year...

Do we want to spend 10M$ on a goaler ?

That is the question.

Are you serious? Has Carey's absence not shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that a goalie of his caliber makes a much bigger difference than two 5 million dollar players or one 10 million dollar player at any other position?! His presence has clearly papered over our lack of a big ticket forward (or two!) and allowed this team to win for a couple of seasons now.

Are you serious? Has Carey's absence not shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that a goalie of his caliber makes a much bigger difference than two 5 million dollar players at any other position?! His presence has clearly papered over our lack of a big ticket forward (or two!) and allowed this team to win for a couple of seasons now.

I'm dead serious. Carey gone means A LOT of cap space for another top tier goalie + upfront help.

"No Carey Price" doesn't necessarily mean "No Good Goalie at all".

A goalie of the caliber of let's say Lehtonen/Niemi/Anderson is way enough to win games in the NHL when the rest of the team is good enough.

Now, that right there is a whole different story.

Are you serious? Has Carey's absence not shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that a goalie of his caliber makes a much bigger difference than two 5 million dollar players or one 10 million dollar player at any other position?! His presence has clearly papered over our lack of a big ticket forward (or two!) and allowed this team to win for a couple of seasons now.

The counter argument is that our goaltending without price has not been close to adequate. Its worst in the NHL and by a large margin. With better goaltending we aren't in this mess.

Many would say (and I tend to agree) that we are still a playoff team with just league average goaltending.

That said playoff team and cup contender are two different things, and Price makes us a cup contender, so yes, I pay for elite talent, instead of paying the 6 million+ that guys like Jimmy Howard, Corey Crawford, Devan Dubnyk, M-A Fleury, etc... are getting. Heck even Bernier is over 4 million and Reimer is looking for 4 million.

so yes I pay 10 for the best goalie in the league.

The counter argument is that our goaltending without price has not been close to adequate. Its worst in the NHL and by a large margin. With better goaltending we aren't in this mess.

Many would say (and I tend to agree) that we are still a playoff team with just league average goaltending.

That said playoff team and cup contender are two different things, and Price makes us a cup contender, so yes, I pay for elite talent, instead of paying the 6 million+ that guys like Jimmy Howard, Corey Crawford, Devan Dubnyk, M-A Fleury, etc... are getting. Heck even Bernier is over 4 million and Reimer is looking for 4 million.

so yes I pay 10 for the best goalie in the league.

The one caveat here is that Price has not really shown himself to be the league's best goalie in the playoffs. He's played well in the playoffs, but has not, typically, dominated. His stats reinforce this impression. Just saying.

The one caveat here is that Price has not really shown himself to be the league's best goalie in the playoffs. He's played well in the playoffs, but has not, typically, dominated. His stats reinforce this impression. Just saying.

Then we get into the clutch/not clutch argument... which goes nowhere.

So even though I don't believe in "clutch" ability... for those that do... I present Price's work at the World Juniors, in the Calder Cup Playoffs, and Most of all, at the Sochi Olympics. Big games, he always came up big.

I also point to the 2014 playoffs, and a couple of games he absolutely stole in bruins series... game 1, we were badly outplayed, he was magnificent, and Subban scored the OT winner. Game 6, in montreal, down 3-2 in the series? SHUTOUT... game 7, Brilliant again, allows only 1 goal.

Next round he's injured.

So yes, Price has shown he can be just as good in high pressure situations. We've just not given him a lot of credit for it.

Then we get into the clutch/not clutch argument... which goes nowhere.

So even though I don't believe in "clutch" ability... for those that do... I present Price's work at the World Juniors, in the Calder Cup Playoffs, and Most of all, at the Sochi Olympics. Big games, he always came up big.

I also point to the 2014 playoffs, and a couple of games he absolutely stole in bruins series... game 1, we were badly outplayed, he was magnificent, and Subban scored the OT winner. Game 6, in montreal, down 3-2 in the series? SHUTOUT... game 7, Brilliant again, allows only 1 goal.

Next round he's injured.

So yes, Price has shown he can be just as good in high pressure situations. We've just not given him a lot of credit for it.

It's probably the injuries that deflate my assessment of Price in the playoffs. That and the fact that, against Tampa, he seemed good rather than great. Anyway, I agree that we need to sign him to the big bucks provided he's healthy. He's the franchise player.

Price and playoffs

07-08: Only two games against the Bruins with a save percentage under .935. Philly lit him up. He was a rookie.

08-09: .921 in the first game, next three under .900

09-10: Only played one full playoff game (.889), Halak clearly the right guy to go with.

10-11: Four out of seven games with a save percentage over .960 despite the Habs losing the series in seven. Only one game he didn't have to stop 30+ shots.

12-13: Two strong games, two bad games.

13-14: Five games out of 12 with a save percentage under .900

14-15: Four games out of 12 with a save percentage under .900. Only twice allowed more than two goals in a game against Tampa, same with Ottawa.

"No Carey Price" doesn't necessarily mean "No Good Goalie at all".

2 goalies currently match Carey Price's echelon. Quick and Lundqvist. Unless the team is a legitimate 4 lines deep one like a Chicago or Dallas, don't even pose the idea!

Price will be the highest paid goal tender in the NHL when it's time for his new deal, 11-11.5, and he is worth every cent.

It's not him that let the team down in the playoffs, it's his team's lack of being able to produce under the physicality and terrible refereeing in the playoffs.

Moar big, less smurfs... ;)

2 goalies currently match Carey Price's echelon. Quick and Lundqvist. Unless the team is a legitimate 4 lines deep one like a Chicago or Dallas, don't even pose the idea!

You're forgetting Holtby.

Quick is overrated if you are placing him in that echelon. He is a very good goalie, but he's not with Price and Lundqvist.

Yep a two time cup winner, conn smythe winner and vezina nominee is over rated. Now that has to be the most asinine drivel I've read here.

Quick is overrated if you are placing him in that echelon. He is a very good goalie, but he's not with Price and Lundqvist.

Yep a two time cup winner, conn smythe winner and vezina winner is over rated. Now that has to be the most asinine drivel I've read here.

And another shot across the bow... :hyper:

• Upvote 1

Hey I'm not the one to take a shot across the bow - I just fired back!

And another shot across the bow... :hyper: