Distraction Thread - How much will Carey cost us after 17-18?

zumpano21

Osgood never won a conn smythe and has never been in the vezina conversation. He did win a jennings, but that is more of a team award than a goalie award.

Quick has carried his team's at times and for the most part been consistently elite. That's something Osgood's never been. I'd classify Osgood with a guy like neimi. Right place right time, but average goalie. Crawford, is more similar to Osgood, but is a better goalie than Osgood was.

Quick represented his country, I don't remember Osgood even being considered. The only other goalie to win the Stanley Cup and conn smythe trophies that I can think of that probably won't get in the hall of fame is cam ward.

Quick is consistently in the discussion of being among the top 5 goalies, again something that Osgood never was.

You almost described Chris Osgood there.

Yep a two time cup winner, conn smythe winner and vezina nominee is over rated. Now that has to be the most asinine drivel I've read here.

Kinda ridiculous to label a simple disagreement with you as asinine. Commandant surely has reason (i.e. numbers) to back up his argument if you'd refrain from insults.

I was responding to his insults on another thread.

That said, I don't see how you can call a goalie who has gotten his team to two cup wins, won a conn smythe with sparking GAA, has been a regular all-star, vezina nominee and team USA goalie as under rated. Want to tell me what numbers would discount all of that?

Kinda ridiculous to label a simple disagreement with you as asinine. Commandant surely has reason (i.e. numbers) to back up his argument if you'd refrain from insults.

I was responding to his insults on another thread.

That said, I don't see how you can call a goalie who has gotten his team to two cup wins, won a conn smythe with sparking GAA, has been a regular all-star, vezina nominee and team USA goalie as under rated. Want to tell me what numbers would discount all of that?

Probably his save percentage, which is closer to league average than the .930 range that most elite goalies are in.

Probably his save percentage, which is closer to league average than the .930 range that most elite goalies are in.

Bingo.

Hes a very good goalie but hes not in the class of price, rinne, lundqvist, holtby who are proving to be elite.

He has 2 cups.... sure but look at his team. That doesnt move him from very good to elite top 5 guy.

He has a conn smythe. Great he played well in 2010. Cant take that from him. But we also cant take away cam wards conn smythe and ward is hot garbage now. Quick is an above average goalie but not elite

Asinine drivel would be if i said that quick deserves to be in a beer league.

I didnt say that.

Its just the over the top hyperbole that i find to be crap.

Bingo.

Hes a very good goalie but hes not in the class of price, rinne, lundqvist, holtby who are proving to be elite.

He has 2 cups.... sure but look at his team. That doesnt move him from very good to elite top 5 guy.

He has a conn smythe. Great he played well in 2010. Cant take that from him. But we also cant take away cam wards conn smythe and ward is hot garbage now. Quick is an above average goalie but not elite

That kinda prove my point.

Do we absolutely need a 10M$+ goalie to win a SC ? Having a 10M$ goalie prevents you from getting another Superstar player upfront.

Joe's point is valid - having 11-13M tied up in the goalie position is a significant handicap to the roster. Carey better be lights out in the playoffs to warrant it. And imagine he gets hurt? These points are true for any huge salary, which is why it's very risky to have them.

Like it or not, Quick's resumé is better than Price's.

That depends on how you look at it. Individual success or team success? Individual success, Price is over every goalie in the NHL right now. To win the Vezina, Jennings, Lindsay and especially the Hart? That means you were once the best hockey player in the league, regardless of position. Price is also a four time all-star. Quick was a Vezina finalist once, an All-Star once and a one time Jennings winner. His biggest award is the Conn-Smythe, which said he was the best player in the playoffs regardless of position. The Stanley Cup is a team award, like an Olympic gold medal. You can have your name on the Stanley Cup without playing a single playoff game.

So it's Price (Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, Jennings, 4x All-Star) vs. Quick (Conn Smythe, Jennings, x1 All-Star). Is it really that better?

So it's Price (Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, Jennings, 4x All-Star) vs. Quick (Conn Smythe, Jennings, x1 All-Star). Is it really that better?

Don't forget his Calder Cup MVP, CHL goalie of the year award, IIHF tournament MVP and best goalie award in Sochi. And also Quick's Espy (lol) award for best player

Don't forget his Calder Cup MVP, CHL goalie of the year award, IIHF tournament MVP and best goalie award in Sochi. And also Quick's Espy (lol) award for best player

Hahahahahahaha

The ESPYs are about as relevant to sports as the X Games or Rhonda Rousey beating up Zumba instructors.

I never said that I think price isn't the better goalie. But given the group listed I'd take a two time cup winner, who has elevated his play in the playoffs for a couple of series his team didn't show up for and is proven winner over the likes of pekke rinne who has fallen off the since he came back from his injury last year. Lundquist was seen as a playoff disappointment until the last 3 or 4 years.

There is a reason the other kings goalies like scrivens and bernier aren't here anymore, while quick led them to two cups. Just like the Rangers didn't go with talbot over lundquist, despite talbot's sparklingling record and stats when lundquist was injured - Rangers actually did better with talbot than lundquist and talbot had better stats last year. Does that make talbot the better goalie?

Stats aren't the end all be all. The important thing for a goalie is to make the big important save when the team needs it. Both Roy and fuhr let in a lot of cheap nothing goals, but when the game is on the line and their teams needed the big save at a critical time, they were money in the bank. Do we have stats that measure that? Quick has been a money goalie.

While I think Carey is the better goalie, given the choices of awards, I'd take the conn smythe over any other award. You win the conn smythe, it usually means you won the cup, and to me that is what it is all about.

That depends on how you look at it. Individual success or team success? Individual success, Price is over every goalie in the NHL right now. To win the Vezina, Jennings, Lindsay and especially the Hart? That means you were once the best hockey player in the league, regardless of position. Price is also a four time all-star. Quick was a Vezina finalist once, an All-Star once and a one time Jennings winner. His biggest award is the Conn-Smythe, which said he was the best player in the playoffs regardless of position. The Stanley Cup is a team award, like an Olympic gold medal. You can have your name on the Stanley Cup without playing a single playoff game.

Joe's point is valid - having 11-13M tied up in the goalie position is a significant handicap to the roster. Carey better be lights out in the playoffs to warrant it. And imagine he gets hurt? These points are true for any huge salary, which is why it's very risky to have them.

Your star forward could just as easily get hurt as your star goalie.

If I'm gonna pay 12 million for the absolute best goalie in the game... I'm fine with it, cause my goalie is on the ice for 60 minutes. My best forward around 20 at best

How could anyone, in their right mind, knowingly condone or allow our GM to let Price go?

Not to insult anyone, but THAT is pure assinine drivel, lol! Stop drinking, or hitting the pipe too much brotha...

Guest Stogey24

If I'm gonna pay 12 million for the absolute best goalie in the game... I'm fine with it, cause my goalie is on the ice for 60 minutes. My best forward around 20 at best

Price's injury history is definitely worrisome though. With that being said, if we have any chance at a cup, it will have alot to do with Carey between the pipes.

Price's injury history is definitely worrisome though. With that being said, if we have any chance at a cup, it will have alot to do with Carey between the pipes.

Yeah. The team is built on Price. Just that simple. Any hope of a Cup does indeed rest on him. And nothing will change that for this generation of Montreal Canadiens; that's how the entire organizational structure has been assembled. We're all in.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah. The team is built on Price. Just that simple. Any hope of a Cup does indeed rest on him. And nothing will change that for this generation of Montreal Canadiens; that's how the entire organizational structure has been assembled. We're all in.

I know this could be said for any team, but I seriously think if Bergevin can add Stamkos and Price stays healthy next year, this team will win a cup(knock on wood).

I know this could be said for any team, but I seriously think if Bergevin can add Stamkos and Price stays healthy next year, this team will win a cup(knock on wood).

Hey, I still believe that this team with Price is a serious threat to get out of the Conference - despite all the holes that The Slump has exposed. That belief is not some religious fan-boy enthusiasm, it's rooted in the knowledge that in the previous two seasons we were in the same category as the Rangers and the Lightning, the two eventual Conference champs.

So, if Price returns at 100% AND Grizzly Adams makes the necessary moves to shore up those exposed flanks, there is indeed no reason this team cannot become a VERY serious contender no later than next season.

Sure, but it's just a matter of how you want to spread your cap space.

If you have 20M$ of space for 1 goalie and 3 players, you can :

A) spend 11 on your superstar Goalie (Price, Lundqvist) and then an average of $3M per player.

B) spend 6 on an solid average goalie (Lehtonen, Rinne, Quick, Crawford, Schneider, etc) and then an average $4,66M per player.

With scenario A, you get a lot of 2-1 wins. If your 11M$ goalie gets hurt, then it switches to a lot of 4-1 losses.

With scenario B, you're more looking at 6-3 wins, if a 8M$ forward gets hurt, then it probably switches to a lot of 4-3 wins instead.