What happens at the trade deadline?

Meller93

Emelin won't go before the offseason. I appreciate his heart and work against the Bruins, but he's more of a bottom-pair guy.

We dumped Gorges because he was similarly overpaid, and immediately recreated the problem. They are both excellent #5-6 guys who we overpaid with poorly timed signings. Emelin especially, because he was coming back from injury and unproven at that point.

We gotta hope that we've done our due diligence with Petry, because he's a part of our top-3 going forward.

Guest Stogey24

Emelin gets too much shit here. He's a below average #4/5. If he made 3.5 a year, people would have no problem. The defense needs some physicality.

The whole point is he makes too much money. He's Not a top 4 d-man.

Guest Stogey24

But he has played top 4 minutes for 4 years at least, so he is a top 4 d-man. Any capable top-4 upgrade will likely cost, but do agree he is overpaid

So you think because Emelin has played parts of top 4 minutes, that makes him a number 4 d-man? You must think Dale Weise is a first line winger too then eh.

I think that if indeed Yakupov is available MB should at least try to land him. He will never be as available as he is right now. If you could sell Emelin to the Oilers you do it. I actually think that Charelli might do that because he often saw the best of Emelin. I would even keep a million or so to make it happen.

The biggest Problem might be selling the Oilers to Emelin with the no trade.

Emelin gets too much shit here. He's a below average #4/5. If he made 3.5 a year, people would have no problem. The defense needs some physicality.

Hes a 6/7 defenceman at best so id shit on him at 3.5 million too.

Physicality is good only if it prevents goals from going in the net. Plenty of physical d who prevent goals and scoring chances and that is fine. But the stats show that emelin isnt preventing goals and isnt preventing scoring chances... in fact hes bleeding them more than any other dman on our team. Yes teams need physicality on defence but it needs to be the type of physical play that clears the crease... that changes possession... and that doesnt get caught out of position in making the hit. Thats not what emelin is bringing. Hes a liability instead.

Guest Stogey24

Parts of top 4 minutes? What does that mean, he has played top 4 minutes for couple hundred games, simply a fact that is all.

(what criteria do you use?)

Emelin once was a top 4 d-man, "a couple hundred games ago". Now he's a bottom pair guy making top 4 money.

Emelin once was a top 4 d-man, "a couple hundred games ago". Now he's a bottom pair guy making top 4 money.

Emelin played 20 minutes in the last game. He has played five games this month with 18+ minutes. He's still being used as a top four guy when he's healthy and in the lineup.

Does Emelin have the skill to be a top four defenceman? No.

Is Emelin used like he has the skill of a top four defenceman? Yes.

The thing with Emelin is that he seems, at least, to be more valuable the bigger the game. I have no advanced stats to back this up, but my impression is definitely that in the playoffs, and in key regular season games, #74 tends to step up, reliably mete out punishing hits, and generally play the kin og blood-and-guts game that teams need in the clutch. Now, I could be way off base about that. But if it's accurate, then we need to temper our criticism of him with an awareness that he might be one of those guys that 'helps you win in the playoffs.' Just a thought.

And Stogey you forgot to add so I will add to what you say; he has for years and is currently playing top 4 minutes.

Good on his agent for his contract, bad on Bergevin for paying him what he is and the darn no-trade bit.

OK he is overpaid, tha is why you trade him? No I don't think so. He is a solid 5/6 defenceman who can knock guys on their a$$. The 1 million that he is over paid is not going to make the difference. Get rid of Gilbert, ok. He can be replaced by a hundred guys. Who do we have on the farm that is going to take Emelins place. Please answer that.

Guest Stogey24

And Stogey you forgot to add so I will add to what you say; he has for years and is currently playing top 4 minutes.

Good on his agent for his contract, bad on Bergevin for paying him what he is and the darn no-trade bit.

So David Desharnais is a first line centre since he's played top minutes his entire career? Emelin isn't a top four D-man on a contender I guess I should have said.

The NTC is the icing on the cake of Emelin's contact.

OK he is overpaid, tha is why you trade him? No I don't think so. He is a solid 5/6 defenceman who can knock guys on their a$$. The 1 million that he is over paid is not going to make the difference. Get rid of Gilbert, ok. He can be replaced by a hundred guys. Who do we have on the farm that is going to take Emelins place. Please answer that.

If it was just $1 million he was overpaid, that might make sense.

I'm seeing it as closer to 2.5.

As for being able to knock guys on their ass... thats only useful if doing it prevents goals. In Emelin's case, its pretty clear from the stats that he's the worst of our regular defencemen at leaking goals, so his hitting doesn't seem to matter much.

I'm all for a physical dman, but that physicality has to lead to actual goal prevention. Cause that is the name of the game, put the puck in their net and keep it out of yours. His hits aren't keeping it out of ours.

If it was just $1 million he was overpaid, that might make sense.

I'm seeing it as closer to 2.5.

As for being able to knock guys on their ass... thats only useful if doing it prevents goals. In Emelin's case, its pretty clear from the stats that he's the worst of our regular defencemen at leaking goals, so his hitting doesn't seem to matter much.

I'm all for a physical dman, but that physicality has to lead to actual goal prevention. Cause that is the name of the game, put the puck in their net and keep it out of yours. His hits aren't keeping it out of ours.

So you really think you could sign Emelin for 1 million? I do not think so. He would be playing somewhere else. He is not a terrible defenceman he just has no offensive ability. On another team with good coaching he would be a force to be reckoned with. As it is you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

I think you could get a better defenceman for 1.5 million, yes.

I think he has no ability to make a breakout pass, he hits but gets caught running around to do it and gets out of position, he doesnt have good positioning, and his pivots and skating are bad.

In short, I think he's crap and needs to be replaced.

there are plenty of D who can be physical and be more effective at doing other things too.

Stogey, #14 is and has been the Habs number #1 centre for years (since Koivu left maybe?) not DD.

Although many love to say DD is #1 to help their argument against the poor lil fellow.

Guest Stogey24

Stogey, #14 is and has been the Habs number #1 centre for years (since Koivu left maybe?) not DD.

Although many love to say DD is #1 to help their argument against the poor lil fellow.

Any player riding shotgun with Max and getting top minutes is a number one centre though, no? It's the exact same thing as you saying Emelin is a top 4 d-man because he is playing minutes that a top four D-man would play.

A major problem with this team is players don't have specified roles. Desharnais, Weise, Eller, Emelin, Plek even Galchenyuk. It's just a mishmash of lines basically every night with alot of guys playing over their heads.

I think you could get a better defenceman for 1.5 million, yes.

I think he has no ability to make a breakout pass, he hits but gets caught running around to do it and gets out of position, he doesnt have good positioning, and his pivots and skating are bad.

In short, I think he's crap and needs to be replaced.

there are plenty of D who can be physical and be more effective at doing other things too.

ok like who?