Habs re-sign Byron

l<OV4L3V

I like it a lot. Byron has been great for us. Keep him on the third or fourth line and give him PK time with a good passer and he'll be great for us for all three years. The guy is only 26 and already has a career high eight goals in this sucky season. Complaining about this is just finding something to complain about.

Lars Eller: 10 goals in 60 games ($3.5 million)

David Desharnais: 9 goals in 57 games ($3.5 million)

Paul Byron: 8 goals in 40 games ($1.16 million)

• Upvote 2

I like it a lot. Byron has been great for us. Keep him on the third or fourth line and give him PK time with a good passer and he'll be great for us for all three years. The guy is only 26 and already has a career high eight goals in this sucky season. Complaining about this is just finding something to complain about.

Lars Eller: 10 goals in 60 games ($3.5 million)

David Desharnais: 9 goals in 57 games ($3.5 million)

Paul Byron: 8 goals in 40 games ($1.16 million)

So, Byron's deal is good because of the worst contracts in the organization? Three years of Paul Byron doesn't make the team one iota better.

Smallest team in the league again. You can't win with half your forwards under six feet.

Three years for a fourth liner is always a bit iffy but I can't complain otherwise. He's a good penalty killer with speed to burn while he plays with an edge (he leads all Montreal forwards in hits per game). It's not a bargain but it's not a bad deal either.

Part of me wonders if Michael Bournival's complete regression played into this a bit. Until his concussion late last season, he was viewed as the 4th line PK speedster of the future. Now, I'm not sure he'll get a qualifying offer in June because of the injuries.

A quick write-up on the signing: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/02/habs-sign-paul-byron-to-a-3-year-extension/

So, Byron's deal is good because of the worst contracts in the organization? Three years of Paul Byron doesn't make the team one iota better.

Smallest team in the league again. You can't win with half your forwards under six feet.

Byron's deal is good because he's the cheapest shorthanded goal scorer in the league. He's a threat every time he's on the ice.

You're on the hyperbole train so I'll just let you leave the station.

• Upvote 1

Byron's deal is good because he's the cheapest shorthanded goal scorer in the league. He's a threat every time he's on the ice.

You're on the hyperbole train so I'll just let you leave the station.

Three years for a tiny replacement level player. He's small, he's fast, and he's great on the PK. Sounds like half the team.

Calgary fans made a video of him missing a ton of breakaways. That they went in this year is just an aberration in shooting percentage.

• Upvote 1

Three years for a guy teams didn't want for free. The term is too long.

I would be happy with two years, and given the way this year has gone, I don't think he's an essential player by any means.

It's believed multiple teams came calling asking about him in the past few weeks. Guys that can provide offense on the PK are a pretty good asset to have. I don't mind having a combined 4th line valued around 3 million as long as we start allocating more money to the top 6(for players that are worth it too).

As for the calgary flames fan video a majority of flames fans were not happy we claimed him and some were even hoping they would sign him back in the off season as a UFA.

• Upvote 1

This is a great deal.

Its exactly what I'm talking about when I've been talking about team building.

Get rid of the third and fourth liners making 3 million plus.

Get third and fourth liners, and 3rd pairing D and pay them all 1.0 - 1.5 million. Fill the bottom of the team super cheap.

Then you can afford luxuries in Price's next deal, Stamkos, Subban, etc....

Thats how you do it in the cap world. Pay for elite talent... save money on the places where the upgrades to higher priced players only provide very marginal returns.

I want the guy who scores 40 goals instead of 25 in my top 6 and I'll pay for that. I don't want to pay to have the guy who scores 8 goals instead of 6.

Love it, SOB can motor and $1m&change/yr seems such a low salary, at least no one in their right mind would complain about this signing would they.

Kinda like Carr, dosent mind getting in face of opponents and he makes so many defenders look so slow is humerous.

This is a great deal.

Get third and fourth liners, and 3rd pairing D and pay them all 1.0 - 1.5 million. Fill the bottom of the team super cheap.

Thats how you do it in the cap world. Pay for elite talent... save money on the places where the upgrades to higher priced players only provide very marginal returns.

I want the guy who scores 40 goals instead of 25 in my top 6 and I'll pay for that. I don't want to pay to have the guy who scores 8 goals instead of 6.

Bingo!

This is a great deal.

I agree with everything stated. Contract makes sense in a cap era.

I like the deal too, man is he fast, and cheap too! He has shown the ability to score a bit too, so I think it's a great deal for the Habs.

Three years is too long for a replacement level player. He's yet another bottom six player who skates fast but contributes little else. Don't be fooled-he's shooting 25%, so his eight goals are a HUGE abberation, and he'll regess to being a 3-6 goal player. Can't have enough 3-6 goal guys I guess.

• Upvote 1

We are not signing him for his goals but for his ability to penalty kill and to play shifts without being a liability. That's fine at the bottom of the roster.

Rather pay 1 million fot his 6 goals than 2 million for 10 goals. You get better returns saving that money for top 6 talent.

As for length... hes 27 so im not too worried about signing til hes 30. On top of that the majority of his salary can be buried if worst comes to worst

The alternative to signing bottom-liners for a few seasons is a revolving door for a fourth line. We saw how that worked under Gauthier; he was continually scrambling to try to shore up the depth at the bottom end of the roster, and suddenly we fans really appreciated the value of NHL-calibre fourth liners.

As long as the deals are in the $1-million range, I have no problem with giving these guys a bit of term. Stability is preferable to the Gauthier approach IMHO. Bryon is a one-dimensional player - he's all speed and nothing but speed - but he is genuinely elite in that one aspect of the game. He deserves a spot.

This is a great deal.

Yup this is a great signing. I concur with this post totally.

The alternative to signing bottom-liners for a few seasons is a revolving door for a fourth line. We saw how that worked under Gauthier; he was continually scrambling to try to shore up the depth at the bottom end of the roster, and suddenly we fans really appreciated the value of NHL-calibre fourth liners.

As long as the deals are in the $1-million range, I have no problem with giving these guys a bit of term. Stability is preferable to the Gauthier approach IMHO. Bryon is a one-dimensional player - he's all speed and nothing but speed - but he is genuinely elite in that one aspect of the game. He deserves a spot.

Isn't that our approach anyways? Three years our fourth liners were Halpern, Moen, Prust and Armstrong. None of those guys are good enough to play in the league. Fourth liners have a finite life, and Byron is injury prone. A signing doesn't have to be expensive to be stupid.

• Upvote 1