Who we gonna Draft?

habs rule

Guest Stogey24

Ya, Edmonton needs to get better now. They'll be making some moves this summer for sure. Maybe Montreal gets involved. They do have some trade history

Ya, Edmonton needs to get better now. They'll be making some moves this summer for sure. Maybe Montreal gets involved. They do have some trade history

Is there anyone other than Beaulieu we could offer them, who would make sense from their POV? Frankly, I could see Plekanec being hugely valuable to that team over a 2-3 years span. Veteran leadership, impeccable professionalism, strong two-way game. (Not proposing a Pleks trade, just saying that he's about the only piece I could see fitting in with their need to get better now).

Is there anyone other than Beaulieu we could offer them, who would make sense from their POV? Frankly, I could see Plekanec being hugely valuable to that team over a 2-3 years span. Veteran leadership, impeccable professionalism, strong two-way game. (Not proposing a Pleks trade, just saying that he's about the only piece I could see fitting in with their need to get better now).

i've been pushing for a Pleks trade for the last couple of years and I think Edmonton is a great fit - he's exactly what they need - solid two way veteran experienced player. Not sure if he's got a no-trade list protection to edmonton. If possible, i'd try packaging Emelin-Pleks to EDM.

i've been pushing for a Pleks trade for the last couple of years and I think Edmonton is a great fit - he's exactly what they need - solid two way veteran experienced player. Not sure if he's got a no-trade list protection to edmonton. If possible, i'd try packaging Emelin-Pleks to EDM.

Yeah I agree Pleks and Emlin to Edm Rnh and Yak to montreal. I'm in.

It's a tempting scenario - get a talented young player back for the "pick + stuff." But what's less clear to me is why the Oilers would do it. They're not just looking to get rid of their young FWs, after all; they want to turn those guys into assets that will make them a better team, preferably sooner rather than later. No?

Possibly Oilers might want to draft a Matthews plus add a d-man with pick 9 or 10? But is just a thought and perhaps Oiler GM has zero interest in trading a player for another prospect?

And Plekanec's contract extension hasn't even started yet, so aint happening...back to package including Beaulieu as more likely option.

And Plekanec's contract extension hasn't even started yet, so aint happening...back to package including Beaulieu as more likely option.

What does his extension not starting have anything to do with it. Lots of teams have traded players right after signing them.

Do you know what the trade restrictions are for pleks, Markov and yemelin after July 1st?

His current NTC is in effect until the extension starts (July 1st).

Do you know what the trade restrictions are for pleks, Markov and yemelin after July 1st?

Current:

Plekanec: Modified (I don't have the details but it's not a full clause)

Markov: Can block a trade to 12 teams (tradeable to 17)

Emelin: Full NTC

After July 1:

Plekanec: No NTC at all (that's part of the reason his salary is going up)

Emelin: Can block a trade to 10 teams (tradeable to 19)

Thanks! I'd think Edmonton would be on the no-trade list going forward for emelin and Markov. Doubt they'd waive to go there.

Current:

Plekanec: Modified (I don't have the details but it's not a full clause)

Emelin: Full NTC

After July 1:

Plekanec: No NTC at all (that's part of the reason his salary is going up)

Emelin: Can block a trade to 10 teams (tradeable to 19)

Thanks! I'd think Edmonton would be on the no-trade list going forward for emelin and Markov. Doubt they'd waive to go there.

Why just cause they are a forked up organization going exactly no where? Come on man it only needs a little sales job. Let's get peter puck involved

What does his extension not starting have anything to do with it. Lots of teams have traded players right after signing them.

Besides Ottawa trading Marian Hossa to Atlanta for Dany Heatley, what players have been traded after signing an extension but before that extension started?

Who are these "lots of teams"?

Good luck negotiating with future FAs after this, they will all want NTCs.

Besides Ottawa trading Marian Hossa to Atlanta for Dany Heatley, what players have been traded after signing an extension but before that extension started?

yeah I was trying to figure that out to. Do not see that happening especially with Mr Character Mark Down Mark.

I don't see that as any different from a team signing a player to a long-term home town discount and than trading them a year or two into the deal. Both the Bruins and Flyers have done that on numerous occasions and have absolutely no issue in continuing to sign free agents.

I seriously doubt there will be much blow-back for trading Plekanec. It's not like we signed him and traded him; we negotiated the extension a year ago. Everyone can see the Habs need to get better up front, and I doubt players will hold it against MB if he swings a necessary deal that accomplishes that.

I feel like Philly did it twice... Mike Richards and Jeff Carter?

Or that might have just been trading them before their NTCs kicked in, but during their extensions?

Philly and Boston have both dumped players very shortly after signing them to deals lower than they could have gotten elsewhere. I don't think there would be any fallback at all - especially given how the year shaped out.

Or that might have just been trading them before their NTCs kicked in, but during their extensions?

Guest Stogey24

There's a reason Plekanec didn't get a NTC. That's not to say he will be traded, but the door is left open if something comes up to make this team better.

They both played 2 full seasons on their extensions before being traded. It also included publically clashing with Chris Pronger, and with team management, including the team instituting a policy of "dry island" meaning no drinking during the season, because they were partying too much. A lot of shit went on during those two years.

With Plekanec I'm failing to see it being the same situation. I don't see him having off-ice question marks, I don't see him clashing with other team leaders, and he's not started his extension.

Its not the same situation.

Also who did Boston trade.... Kessel was an unsigned RFA, Hamilton was an unsigned RFA, Seguin was signed but he signed an RFA deal.... its a little different when you sign away your UFA years. Those are years a player can CHOOSE who he is playing for. RFA doesn't have that same control.

I'm still waiting to hear about all these teams who trade players before their new contract even kicks in are? or was that just a bullshit claim?

People forget that these are human beings, and not just assets. When you commit your life and your family to a certain city, and then get traded immediately thereafter before your commitment even begins, there is going to be resentment created.

I remember philly trading roenuck shortly after signing him. Boston dumped lapointe pretty quick. Seguin signed a 6 year deal, so why wouldn't you include him?

They both played 2 full seasons on their extensions before being traded. It also included publically clashing with Chris Pronger, and with team management, including the team instituting a policy of "dry island" meaning no drinking during the season, because they were partying too much. A lot of shit went on during those two years.

With Plekanec I'm failing to see it being the same situation. I don't see him having off-ice question marks, I don't see him clashing with other team leaders, and he's not started his extension.

Its not the same situation.

Also who did Boston trade.... Kessel was an unsigned RFA, Hamilton was an unsigned RFA, Seguin was signed but he signed an RFA deal.... its a little different when you sign away your UFA years. Those are years a player can CHOOSE who he is playing for. RFA doesn't have that same control.

I'm still waiting to hear about all these teams who trade players before their new contract even kicks in are? or was that just a bullshit claim?

People forget that these are human beings, and not just assets. When you commit your life and your family to a certain city, and then get traded immediately thereafter before your commitment even begins, there is going to be resentment created.

He signed a deal coming off his RFA contract. Thats not the same.

Again you are missing the point, that when you sign away UFA years... the years where you can choose where you and your family live, its a big deal, and one where agents and players are going to look at the GM who trades a player away (before he even plays a single game on that extension) a little funny.

Every player signing away UFA years in the future is going to be looking for a NTC if we have a GM that trades players away right after signing them.

5'9" Clayton Keller (USA) leads U18 scoring; 3gm 3g 7pts (he had 91pts in 54gms this year)

6'6" Logan Brown (USA) 3gm 1g 6pts (74pts in 59gms for Spitfires this year)

Canada plays Slovaks today