Habs trade Smith-Pelly to NJ

dlbalr

I hope moving an overpaid 4th liner for a cheaper one is MB trying to free up room for a top 6 target, and not just him tweaking the bottom 6 because he has a never-ending obsession with that part of the lineup (which so far seems to have distracted him from more pressing needs).

Looks like Smith-Pelly liked playing here. Was very emotional in his scrum with the media. Dressing room must be really tight if he feels this way after only a year with the team.

Guest Stogey24

Looks like Smith-Pelly liked playing here. Was very emotional in his scrum with the media. Dressing room must be really tight if he feels this way after only a year with the team.

If Pelly wanted to stay so bad, maybe he should have thrown a hit or two.

He grew up a Habs fan and also knows if it doesn't work out in New Jersey, he won't have many options left.

I think it is a Cull for Cull deal, Matteau hasn't scored for shite in juniors, AHL nor NHL, so likely will be a wash out soon enough. He isn't as good as he thinks he is.

You could fit DSPs highlight reel with the Habs into a 20 second video, and 18 seconds of it would be body checks. He never reached his potential here, and might never reach his potential.

Matteau is an intriguing prospect, but he's getting older, only one year younger than DSP. I remember hearing rumblings of an attitude problem with him. I don't know how at age 22 he factors into becoming more than a fourth liner.

I think it is a Cull for Cull deal, Matteau hasn't scored for shite in juniors, AHL nor NHL, so likely will be a wash out soon enough. He isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Pretty much.

I remember when he was drafted, the talk centered around how the Devils got him so New York couldn't.

Worth a shot though. DSP had moments and nothing else. I liked the guy but he couldn't get it together.

I'm glad he's gone cuz I'm not a fan of hyphenated last names. ?

• Upvote 1

Matteau has been a disappointment since being drafted, but maybe a change of scenery helps. If not we can bury him in St. John's.

I mean you weren't getting much for DSP.

Yep, it's a cheap enough deal that there's no cap hit for burying him if it comes to it.

I thought Smith-Pelly might fetch a late round pick and a contract dump (a minor leaguer for 50-contract purposes) but after the Pirri trade where all he fetched was a 6th, that thought more or less went out the window.

Matteau is an intriguing prospect, but he's getting older, only one year younger than DSP. I remember hearing rumblings of an attitude problem with him. I don't know how at age 22 he factors into becoming more than a fourth liner.

Was this the incident you were thinking of? http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/stefan-matteau-suspended-by-qmjhl-team-for-insubordination-1.1354147

Lets just say, I have got a much better 'feeling' about Danault than Matteau. Pelly simply couldn't finish. nor be consistent with physical play. Rene Bourque was just like that, would hit but also do as many (or more) stick-check fly bys.

Hope Matteau can find his game and he is a big young kid, maybe he can become a good checker?

That's the one.

Sounds like the Devils screwed up his development by playing him right after the draft. He probably thought he was too big to take the rules seriously in junior. I think Erik Gudbranson had the same issue in the OHL after his draft year.

I feel pretty bad for DSP after watching his interview. Not because he was tearing up, but it seemed like for the first time he could be entertaining the reality that he's not good enough, being traded for a late first rounder with an attitude issue and to make room for a fading tough guy. It must be pretty cold shot.

Sorry, they make too much cash for me to feel that bad for them, it is just a sport.

I got respect for a Mike Keane who played 5 full years in AHL after playing 1161 NHL career games. Or a Tom Kostopoulas who is still losing 100% of his fights, standing up for his teammates in the AHL.

Sorry, they make too much cash for me to feel that bad for them, it is just a sport.

I got respect for a Mike Keane who played 5 full years in AHL after playing 1161 NHL career games. Or a Tom Kostopoulas who is still losing 100% of his fights, standing up for his teammates in the AHL.

So by that logic, a coffee farmer in Brazil could be wholly unsympathetic to anything that happens to you since you're a first world fat cat?

A guy like DSP could find himself out of hockey by age 30 with a few hundred grand in the bank. That's nothing special when you consider his next forty or so years are a big question mark.

Guest Stogey24

lol

It has to be hard for anyone who grows up dreaming of wearing the CH on their chest to be given the chance to do so and then not be able to finish their career there. Chris Higgins comes to mind. DSP's tears were real. That is caring. That is what I would have felt or any of you if we were in his shoes. He had achieved his childhood dream, to be a Hab. Now that dream is shattered so of course his heart is aching. I feel for him and wish him well. At least he got to live his dream for a moment though. Think how Kardi feels! To have grown up dreaming of making the Habs only to be drafted by the Leafs. Man that has to hurt everyday.