Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

There's also #5: whoever we get in a trade. Hopefully we can actually get a decent return on Emelin or whoever we manage to dump. We need at least one top-6 forward, and probably another good new top-9 guy who isn't a rookie. We've had a subpar forward group for far too long.

Agree.

McCarron looks pretty good at centre. Definitely not putting him on the wing

In that lineup, I couldn't find a spot for him at centre.

he isn't better than Stamkos, Chuck, Plek, Mitchell

He's a bottom six grinder, I'm not concerned with making sure he's at C in the same way as I definitely want Chuck at C.

I know he scored last night but 2 points in 14 games isn't exactly forcing his way into the lineup, heck i could see him down in the AHL to start next year too. See if he can learn to be more of a scorer down there cause up here he'll only learn to grind.

I know he scored last night but 2 points in 14 games isn't exactly forcing his way into the lineup, heck i could see him down in the AHL to start next year too. See if he can learn to be more of a scorer down there cause up here he'll only learn to grind.

I think McCarron should be in the AHL next year. He's not more than a fourth liner in the NHL at the moment and if that's the case, I'd much rather him play top line minutes in the minors. There's no need to rush to have him up full time.

Pacioretty - Stamkos - Gallagher

Carr - Galchenyuk - Perron

Andrighetto - Plekanec - McCarron

Danault - Mitchell - Byron

Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Pateryn

UFA

Price

Condon

I love this lineup. I would switch danault and lessio. I really like lessio so far

I love this lineup. I would switch danault and lessio. I really like lessio so far

Totally forgot Lessio who I've also liked.

After the above discussion, Switch McCarron and Lessio and see if McCarron can learn to score in the AHL.

Pacioretty - Stamkos - Gallagher

Carr - Galchenyuk - Perron

Andrighetto - Plekanec - Lessio

Danault - Mitchell - Byron

Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Pateryn

UFA

Price

Condon

Guest Stogey24

In that lineup, I couldn't find a spot for him at centre.

he isn't better than Stamkos, Chuck, Plek, Mitchell

He's a bottom six grinder, I'm not concerned with making sure he's at C in the same way as I definitely want Chuck at C.

You do realize that Plekanec has 5 goals in his last like 50 games. And 2 of them came in 1 game. If your going to point fingers, point them at the guys who are suppose to be scoring goals.

McCarron is good for this line up. Both of his scraps game after two of his players got run over.

You need more than just goal scores on a roster. McCarron brings something no one else on this roster does. Keep him in. His development will come playing NHL games

You do realize that Plekanec has 5 goals in his last like 50 games. And 2 of them came in 1 game. If your going to point fingers, point them at the guys who are suppose to be scoring goals.

McCarron is good for this line up. His line was the only decent one out there last game too.

I agree with letting McCarron develop more in the AHL to start the season next year, let his play dictate a call up, right now he is a decent player, in a terrible lineup.

But yeah, slotting Plekanec in as #2 C is redundant at this point, considering his production these days.

I'm all for DLR as #4 C to start next season, with Lessio and Byron as wingers.

Andrighetto isn't an NHL player either, but neither is Torrey Mitchell, so he can play some nights as #3 RW, some nights in the press box or retire, I could care less, Andrighetto platoons with him, and Danault on the left wing, he is better than this board has deemed him for sure, Matteau, Cya.

Plek for #3, if not traded... he or Eller need to go, the other slots in at #3 C.

We need a center to replace DD in the #2 slot, and a scoring winger through trades or as a UFA, there is no way around it, Carr might be able to stick on second line? Dunno.

Injury free, our defense isn't too bad for the start of 2016/17, with Pateryn showing he can play this year, at least as good as Emelin...

All hail Carey Price... without him this team isn't even close as it stands, add Gallagher, Subban and Petry to the injury list, and the Habs don't even look NHL caliber.

McCarron is good for this line up. Both of his scraps game after two of his players got run over.

You need more than just goal scores on a roster. McCarron brings something no one else on this roster does. Keep him in. His development will come playing NHL games

2 points in 14 games

vs

a 47 point (And counting) season

YUP TOTALLY THE SAME

Guest Stogey24

2 points in 14 games

vs

a 47 point (And counting) season

YUP TOTALLY THE SAME

The point is that this entire team has done dick all with point production in the last 20 games. Yet, the thing you take away from McCarron's game in his point totals.

McCarron wasn't drafted to be a top flight scorer. He was drafted to be a physical player, who will go the hard areas, and score some tough goals. He's the type of guy this team has been lacking; a hard nosed go to the net player, that has good enough hands to bury some pucks.

Sorry he's not a speedy 5'9 player, that flys up and down the ice.

I think McCarron should be in the AHL next year. He's not more than a fourth liner in the NHL at the moment and if that's the case, I'd much rather him play top line minutes in the minors. There's no need to rush to have him up full time.

I think they'll start him there, but he'll finish the year in Montreal.

They need to get another tough guy in the off season. They don't want McCarron to try to make the team with his fists like Tinordi.

The point is that this entire team has done dick all with point production in the last 20 games. Yet, the thing you take away from McCarron's game in his point totals.

McCarron wasn't drafted to be a top flight scorer. He was drafted to be a physical player, who will go the hard areas, and score some tough goals. He's the type of guy this team has been lacking; a hard nosed go to the net player, that has good enough hands to bury some pucks.

I don't think it's smart to have this "evaluation period" when the team's in the toilet. The numbers are skewed. Evaluate a serious prospect in October/November with an extended look in the top-9.

Normally I'm the first guy to support letting a guy marinade in the minors.

The issue with McCarron, though, is that he brings qualities that no other player in the organization brings. Just look at that big body in front of the net on the PP, for instance. And he hasn't looked out of place, from what I've seen, as a bottom-6 NHL forward. Given that he seems able to handle the NHL game *and* that he adds value to the team by virtue of his unique attributes, this might be a case for keeping him up. The only way I wouldn't is if I don't think he can handle a regular shift; then obviously his development will be furthered in the minors. But if he's getting reliable minutes with us, then keep him up.

I was surprised to see Ghetto ahead of Lessio on Commandant's depth chart. If Ghetto has a future, it's as a one-dimensional, borderline 2nd-liner IMHO. Lessio seems more well-rounded.

Guest Stogey24

Exactly. The qualities that McCarron brings aren't going to develop the same way they would in the NHL. I'm not going to cry if he does go back to the minors, but it just seems like his style of play isn't something that ripens faster in the AHL.

And the point being, he'll never develop any scoring touch if you slot him into the 3rd/4th line in the NHL.

The game is so fast, and he's going to be given a very defensive responsibility in that role.

In order to develop a scoring touch, he's going to need to be put in offensive situations.

That offensive touch may never come (in fact I've argued before that its unlikely), but if you want to explore any chance that he might be a top 6 player, having him at the AHL level playing with offensive players and in offensive zone situations, and on the PP, is the only way to develop that. It won't happen at the NHL level in a defensive role

Normally I'm the first guy to support letting a guy marinade in the minors.

The issue with McCarron, though, is that he brings qualities that no other player in the organization brings. Just look at that big body in front of the net on the PP, for instance. And he hasn't looked out of place, from what I've seen, as a bottom-6 NHL forward. Given that he seems able to handle the NHL game *and* that he adds value to the team by virtue of his unique attributes, this might be a case for keeping him up. The only way I wouldn't is if I don't think he can handle a regular shift; then obviously his development will be furthered in the minors. But if he's getting reliable minutes with us, then keep him up.

I was surprised to see Ghetto ahead of Lessio on Commandant's depth chart. If Ghetto has a future, it's as a one-dimensional, borderline 2nd-liner IMHO. Lessio seems more well-rounded.

As for the standing in front of the net on the Powerplay... I take Carr and Gallagher (one on each PP unit) doing that over McCarron.

They may not have his body, but they are more effective there.

I'll take the substance (production) over the style (huge body in front of the net)

They just are better at converting passes and one timing them, tipping pucks, jamming in rebounds, etc...

McCarron looks good there, but the results aren't there. Maybe thats something where it comes with more development, maybe its something that never comes, but you wont find out if you continually put him in that situation at the NHL level. If he's not getting results at the NHL level, something needs to change and thats where AHL can come in. It worked to make Pacioretty a better scorer.

I agree he should probably go back to the AHL but I can't stand the Pacioretty example. Patches was ready to score at the nhl level but kept being played like a bottom six grinder by Martin so he requested to goto the AHL to prove the coach wrong. He didn't learn anything there. He just received top minutes and less defensive situations. Had Martin said no to AHL and just slotted him in the top six behind Cammalleri the result would have been the same.

The Lucic contract will be an albatross with his age, playing style and back issues. But then again, so would most UFAs.

True. Which is why you should only dip into the market in a very calculated way.

I think, though, that UFA contracts have to be assessed in their totality, rather than doing what most fans seem to do, which is focus on the last couple of years of the deal. If you sign Lucic for 6 years and he gives you (say) 4 years of high-impact, 'full Lucic' performance, followed by a couple of sup-par, injury-riddled years where he's grossly overpaid, which counts for more? The four quality years, or the two duds? It's not clear to me that such a signing is a 'mistake.'

I'd just feel dirty cheering for that ape.

True. Which is why you should only dip into the market in a very calculated way.

I think, though, that UFA contracts have to be assessed in their totality, rather than doing what most fans seem to do, which is focus on the last couple of years of the deal. If you sign Lucic for 6 years and he gives you (say) 4 years of high-impact, 'full Lucic' performance, followed by a couple of sup-par, injury-riddled years where he's grossly overpaid, which counts for more? The four quality years, or the two duds? It's not clear to me that such a signing is a 'mistake.'