Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

Since I am home today for a snow day i'll chime in.

I think they need some size and grit in the top 6 for sure. DD and Eller are worthless. I would move Pleks as well, 13 whopping goals this year,

A lucic / Hartnell type LW Gally and Gally

Pacioretty (although he was a disappointment this year) New center and RW

Carr McCarron Flynn

Lessio Danault Mitchell (I kind of like Brown so far) Brown

Matteau and DLR fighting for a spot

Bealieau Subban

Markov Petry

Emelin Patyren Barbario (I'm in the minority in liking Emelin, but playing on the 3rd pair where he belongs is fine)

Price

Condon

• Upvote 1

I'd just feel dirty cheering for that ape.

If he can help our team, I have no problem with him. We're in the business of winning, not indulging grudges.

Whether the Montreal circus is the right place for said ape is another question. Other than demolishing Komisarek, he had a history of flaming out in our high-intensity rivalry matchups. Maybe he'll do better in a lower-key setting.

He's from Van, so perhaps the west coast is his preferred destination, but would he really recoil from Montreal in principle? Gallagher is one of his best friends. Heck, maybe he'd embrace coming here precisely because of the 'rivalry' factor. It all depends on what type of guy you are. Some guys relish the circus and the intensity.

I forgt Byron to my lineup. Man this team has a lot of 4th liners.

yes, that's why it's hard to put together a lineup. we have one top line a FOUR fourth lines!

how about something like this:

Pacioretty - Galcheynuk - Gallagher

Carr-New C-New RW

Eller-Plekanec-Mitchell

Byron-Danault-Brown

with Lessio and Flynn fighting for a spot and McCarron starting in the AHL to keep porgressing

Pacioretty $4.5 Galchenyuk $2.8 McCarron $0.9

Andrighetto $0.8 Stamkos $11 Gallagher $3.75

de la Rose $0.9 Plekanec $6 Danault $0.8

Flynn $0.95 Mitchell $1.2 Byron $1

Lessio $0.7

Beaulieu $1 Subban $9 Price $6.5

Markov $5.75 Petry $5.5 Condon $0.6

Emelin $4.1 Pateryn $0.8

Barberio $1

Trade Eller, Desharnais (retain salary to facilitate)

Add $1.3 for Parenteau buyout and $1.5 for retained salary on Desharnais

Cap $72.5 Million.

Lessio $0.7

Would Stamkos come to play with that mess of a top-9? We need TWO big additions up front.

Lessio $0.7

Beaulieu $1 Subban $9 Price $6.5

Markov $5.75 Petry $5.5 Condon $0.6

Emelin $4.1 Pateryn $0.8

Barberio $1

Trade Eller, Desharnais (retain salary to facilitate)

Add $1.3 for Parenteau buyout and $1.5 for retained salary on Desharnais

Cap $72.5 Million.

So we're putting a guy with 2 points in 16 NHL games... and with 2 goals in his last 25 AHL games on the top line? He's nowhere close to ready for that kinda of duty. In fact he's probably never going to be a first line forward.

He's a better center, he is much more noticeable in the middle then on the wing.

They have Gallagher as honestly a 2nd line center, nothing even resembling a top line RW. They will need to move one.

I'm not even sure between Pleks, Eller an DD they have 30 goals. that's like 12 mill for less then 30 goals. You could Stamkos for 10 and produce more than those 3. Still have some change left over.

Sorry RW for Gallagher

Gallagher is top 15 (12th right now amongst guys who have played at least 30 games) in the ENTIRE NHL in points/game amongst right wings. Yet the idea that he isn't a true first liner persists.

He's improved his status in this every single season in his career as well.

Gallagher's mentality makes him a #1 RW. Guy is effort personified, and his skill ain't too shabby either, I agree he is a top RW.

Gallagher is top 15 (12th right now amongst guys who have played at least 30 games) in the ENTIRE NHL in points/game amongst right wings. Yet the idea that he isn't a true first liner persists.

He's improved his status in this every single season in his career as well.

Most hockey fans don't realize that right wing is no longer the dominant wing in the league. Scoring at the position is down. You only need around 35 points to be a top 60 right wing in the league now.

• Upvote 1

In terms of our FW configuration, a lot depends on whether we see Plekanec as a legit top-6 FW at this stage of his career.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher-Plekanec + UFA + Carr/Andrighetto/fill-in

looks a whole lot better than

Pactoretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher- UFA + fill-in + fill-in

While it's not ideal, I can see the former being a legitimate configuration on a contending team, provided the team has strengths in other areas.

The latter is one patch-up job too many. No high-end team is going to have that.

Pleks' totals still look OK overall, but in terms of the 'eye test' he arguably has not been offensively very dynamic for much of this season, and statistically he has 24 points in his last 50 games. His13 goals will require him to go on a late-season tear in order to come up to anything like his career norms. I get that an individual's production will dip when he gets stuck with tripe for linemates and the whole team is going under - this post is not about tolling the bell for Pleks's demise - but it still makes me uneasy. to see this sagging output from a guy who is going on 34. I think it's a legit concern.

I think Bergevin will trade Pleks, and keep Eller... Eller will be the 3rd line center, right or wrong.

I don't think the organization sees Eller as a centre going forward. They have been stuffing him as a #2 LW and rotating between our other bottom six centres for the 3C spot.

I don't think the organization sees Eller as a centre going forward. They have been stuffing him as a #2 LW and rotating between our other bottom six centres for the 3C spot.

You're probably right, assuming the organization is deciding as committee, but if Therrien is calling the shots, then there is no logic sometimes.

And who will be the second line c?

A dilemma for sure, we need a lot of holes patched up front.

I just don't see Plek as a #2 anymore, at least an ideal one, and he has some trade value, that Eller doesn't have.

Plek would be an awesome #3 C, but like you say, who is #2? Not DD I hope...

Eller is so frustrating... he could be what we need, if he wasn't Lars Eller :wall: