Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

You wanted to dump subban, but want to keep DD. Gotcha. No other explanation necessary.

Never said I wanted to dump Subban...in fact in the trade thread I said I cant even see any player who I would trade him for, other than maybe a Tavares. I never even considered they would trade him for a d-man.

Like it or not, Desharnais is on the team and Commandant/dlbalr think highly unlikely to be able to deal him this summer/fall. And he has played 400games in the NHL and has been basically a 50pt/yr player, so he also is much more proven player than kids like Danault, Hudon, Lehkonen or Rose for now at least.

Rule #1 of habs29world.net: you don't talk about habs29world.net

Rule #2 of habs29world.net: you don't talk about habs29world.net

Rule #3 of habs29world.net: whatever spews out of the great leader's mouth shall be taken as fact, and any logical statements directed back to the great leader shall not be addressed in a rational manner, if at all.

Rule #4 of habs29world.net: only two guys to a debate

Rule #1 of illWill: follow management like a blind and dumb sheep - No matter how obviously stupid their moves are.

Rule#2 of illWill: drink managements koolaid until they are proven wrong again and again and again...

Rule#3 of illWill: complain about managements mistake and than drink more of their koolaid like a dumb sheep.

Rule#4 if illWill: take lessons to on how to be even a dumber and blinder sheep from your koolaid loving leaf buddies and get geared up for the parade that is sure to come next year. Really - just you wait and see.

Rule #1 of habs29world.net: you don't talk about habs29world.net

Rule #2 of habs29world.net: you don't talk about habs29world.net

Rule #3 of habs29world.net: whatever spews out of the great leader's mouth shall be taken as fact, and any logical statements directed back to the great leader shall not be addressed in a rational manner, if at all.

Rule #4 of habs29world.net: only two guys to a debate

Rule #1 of illWill: follow management like a blind and dumb sheep - No matter how obviously stupid their moves are.

Rule#2 of illWill: drink managements koolaid until they are proven wrong again and again and again...

Rule#3 of illWill: complain about managements mistake and than drink more of their koolaid like a dumb sheep.

Rule#4 if illWill: take lessons to on how to be even a dumber and blinder sheep from your koolaid loving leaf buddies and get geared up for the parade that is sure to come next year. Really - just you wait and see.

Sort of the response I anticipated but executed a bit better, not that I expected much of a rational debate between two sensible Habs fans with differing opinions on the current topics. Regardless, well done

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

If Desharnais got a $2.5m extension, would that be acceptable to him and fans for a 3rd line centre? Average NHL centre they say makes $3.7m.

Or should likely just plan on cutting ties at end of year and hope a youngster can fill his role next year?

If Desharnais got a $2.5m extension, would that be acceptable to him and fans for a 3rd line centre? Average NHL centre they say makes $3.7m.

Or should likely just plan on cutting ties at end of year and hope a youngster can fill his role next year?

I would say that for Desharnais, that would be more than acceptable. I think most of the fan base would be quite upset with that number though. We've seen in the last couple of free agency periods that the undersized 2nd/3rd line guys seem to be having a lot of difficulty getting a contract. Why lock him up now for that; unless he has a major season, the Habs could probably get him under that next July. Of course, that roster spot could be earmarked for a youngster like McCarron in 2017-18 as well.

Guest Stogey24

highly unlikely the guy Bergevin was trying the hardest to move at the draft gets resigned

DD had a disastrous season last year. He desperately needs to revert to career norms. If he doesn't, 2.5 is a gross overpay IMHO. If he does, then it's more than fair, although I tend to think Bergevin won't resign him either, although Therrien would no doubt open the vault for DD ;)

highly unlikely the guy Bergevin was trying the hardest to move at the draft gets resigned

(I think he did move "that guy" and it wasn't Desharnais. :lol: )

Poor Larry, pretty much already forgotten. I wonder how he will do in Washington?

He'll be good for them and I think out of any team in the league, it's really one of the best situations for him. He's been on teams that I've always kind of liked for one reason or another throughout his career. St. Louis, Montreal and Washington. Those are all teams I enjoy watching.

My guess is that he won't be saddled with rotating AHLers and will breakout offensively

Eller will be in the bottom six for the Caps (he's not playing ahead of Kuznetsov or Backstrom at centre while Ovechkin/Johansson are ahead on the LW). That will have him with the likes of Jay Beagle, Daniel Winnik, Andre Burakowsky, and Tom Wilson. Those aren't the types of players that should help him break out offensively.

Eller will be in the bottom six for the Caps (he's not playing ahead of Kuznetsov or Backstrom at centre while Ovechkin/Johansson are ahead on the LW). That will have him with the likes of Jay Beagle, Daniel Winnik, Andre Burakowsky, and Tom Wilson. Those aren't the types of players that should help him break out offensively.

Yeah, I guess Eller had some quotes that had him basically saying, "I'm going to be the third line centre and nothing else and I'm happy with that" I guess he'd rather have the consistency of being a centre behind their top six with potential injury fill-ins than be put on the wing and attempted in the top six. I guess Trotz made it clear he's a centre and that's it.

He might get PP2 time but they are more likely to go with Winnik, Wilson, or Connolly for that wing spot. I didn't know Washington got Connolly.

He might get PP2 time but they are more likely to go with Winnik, Wilson, or Connolly for that wing spot. I didn't know Washington got Connolly.

He was one of the more under the radar signings early in free agency. Boston didn't bother qualifying him at a little over a million so the Caps snapped him up for $850k on July 1st.

Radulov-Chucky-Gallagher

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Shaw

Carr-Plekanec-Andrighetto

Byron-Danault-Mitchell

Plek is best left doing what he does best. Producing while playing with the less established wingers. Either Shaw, Andrighetto or Radulov has to play off-wing unless a kid forces the issue. I'd rather Rad. He plays a very similar game to both Gally's. He's grittier, more aggressive and plays at a higher pace than Pax. Placing our 40 goal scorer against secondary defensive players. DD is best left doing what he does best. Max's side kick.

Pacioretty-Chucky-Gallagher

Hudon-Plekanec-Radulov

Lehkonen-Desharnais-Scherbak

Carr-Shaw-McCarron

hmm.. I like this.. 4 line assault.

I wish Tom Wilson was a hab

So 14g in 231 games is what you want...got it delaRose-Danault and 12 other bottom six players can do that already.

Why do you want another bottom six grinder?

So do I. So much grit, but I think he can actually play well enough

Gritty sure..but he never will be a Wayne Simmonds, if that is what you mean.

So 14g in 231 games is what you want...got it delaRose-Danault and 12 other bottom six players can do that already.

Why do you want another bottom six grinder?

Yeah, I've never been a fan of Wilson, no offense, plus he's dirty and takes stupid penalities at key times. Sure he hits a lot but thats about it.

Much rather have a guy like a Wayne Simmonds who combines physicality with talent... thats the kind of guy i want.

To compare Wilson to Simmons is absolutely ridiculous just because of a word like grit was used. It's like me saying "I like Andrighetto" and you saying "really Andrighetto? Patrick Kane is so much better, I'd rather him." They are not the same class of player.

Last season Wilson had 23 points in 82 games. He's 22, and I think between 3rd and 4th like roles he could be an awesome physical presence on any team. Better than the Scotts of the NHL, more of a Chris Neil.