Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

Im not too worried about pleks as a 2nd line c. Hes got 50 points. And yeah ge hasnt scored much lately... but that seems more due to the fact he has no wingers. We have two legit top 6 wings in pacioretty and gallagher. It should be no surprise that plekanec started a slump when galchenyuk started centring that line.

Get legit top 6 players to play with him and i think hes fine as a second liner.

The bigger question still remains. How good is galchenyuk and is he a first liner. Considering trends and that hes close to a 30g season at just 22. He might be a number 1 but thats no surety either

• 2 weeks later...

After a few trades (over in the trade prediction thread), here's how the Habs ice up next year:

Pacioretty - Duchene - Gallagher

Carr - Galchenyuk - Yakupov

Danault - Plekanec - Byron

Lessio - Mitchell - Flynn

Markov - Subban

Pateryn - Petry

Emelin - Hanley

Price

Condon

• Upvote 1

After a few trades (over in the trade prediction thread), here's how the Habs ice up next year:

Pacioretty - Duchene - Gallagher

Carr - Galchenyuk - Yakupov

Danault - Plekanec - Byron

Lessio - Mitchell - Flynn

Markov - Subban

Pateryn - Petry

Emelin - Hanley

Price

Condon

By this defense core, we would need a # 3/4 Dman in my opinion, unless of course you forgot Barbiero, he may well be a #4, showed some promise at least.

I saw your trade proposal in the other thread, and maybe you would like to re-think the addition to Beaulieu in acquiring Duschene? I do like your main idea of big improvement at center though...

IMHO, the best D corps we can ice right now would be:

Beaulieu Subban

Markov Petry

Emelin Barbiero

Pateryn

I still think maybe Pateryn can be better than Emelin, and arguably has been down the stretch, but Emelin is the one with the big contract, so by default is ahead in management's roster depth chart, or at least until he can be traded somehow, to someone, for something ;).

Duchene would look good in the lineup and if cost Beaulieu, that wouldn't be a showstopper to adding a solid centre (even though a portion of Habfandome no doubt will curse him as another top-6 Smurf).

By this defense core, we would need a # 3/4 Dman in my opinion, unless of course you forgot Barbiero, he may well be a #4, showed some promise at least.I saw your trade proposal in the other thread, and maybe you would like to re-think the addition to Beaulieu in acquiring Duschene? I do like your main idea of big improvement at center though...IMHO, the best D corps we can ice right now would be:Beaulieu SubbanMarkov PetryEmelin BarbieroPaterynI still think maybe Pateryn can be better than Emelin, and arguably has been down the stretch, but Emelin is the one with the big contract, so by default is ahead in management's roster depth chart, or at least until he can be traded somehow, to someone, for something ;).

I edited my Defense but for some reason it didn't take; I did forget Barbeiro - he's in my top 6 for sure. I've really liked his play this year and agree with your lineup.

Pateryn in the top 4 ( and on his off-side)

Hanley in the top 6?

Yikes that defense is attrocious.

I hear you but here are the facts:

- Gilbert is gone

- Beaulieu is trade bait

There's always the reliable:

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Petry

But why not give Pateryn a chance? I also like Barbeiro and would dress him over Hanley.

I hear you but here are the facts:

- Gilbert is gone

- Beaulieu is trade bait

There's always the reliable:

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Petry

But why not give Pateryn a chance? I also like Barbeiro and would dress him over Hanley.

"Bealieau is trade bait" is not a FACT. I don't think that word means what you think it means. Its merely your opinion that he is trade bait.

That said even if he's traded, I don't think that Marc Bergevin would go into a season where he doesn't replace him. This is a GM who LOVES to acquire defencemen, I can't see him doing that.

As for "give Pateryn a chance"... I'm more than happy to have him in my top 6.

But here is the thing... Subban, Petry, and Pateryn are all RHD... I don't like any of the three playing their off-side.

"Bealieau is trade bait" is not a FACT. I don't think that word means what you think it means. Its merely your opinion that he is trade bait.

That said even if he's traded, I don't think that Marc Bergevin would go into a season where he doesn't replace him. This is a GM who LOVES to acquire defencemen, I can't see him doing that.

As for "give Pateryn a chance"... I'm more than happy to have him in my top 6.

But here is the thing... Subban, Petry, and Pateryn are all RHD... I don't like any of the three playing their off-side.

I think Beaulieu could be a great defenceman and is probably one of the best bargaining chips Bergevin has. I'd be happy if he stays but I'm guessing any major trade that gets us a top 3 forward would most likely include Beaulieu. I'd rather trade Emelin but his NTC has us in a pickle. Next year I'd love to see:

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barbeiro - Pateryn

And of course Bergevin signs a veteran UFA.

I think Beaulieu could be a great defenceman and is probably one of the best bargaining chips Bergevin has. I'd be happy if he stays but I'm guessing any major trade that gets us a top 3 forward would most likely include Beaulieu. I'd rather trade Emelin but his NTC has us in a pickle. Next year I'd love to see:

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barbeiro - Pateryn

And of course Bergevin signs a veteran UFA.

Thats our ideal defence, but yes I get your point, someone might need to be moved out to get us a forward and if its a defenceman for forward trade the most logical candidate is Beaulieu.

My only point is that if Beaulieu is traded away, I fully expect Bergevin to sign a defenceman in UFA. I don't think we move him without having a plan to replace him.

I never thought I would say this, but I'm hoping someway, somehow Markov is gone next season. His game has absolutely plummeted the last couple of seasons to the point where he can't make a pass, never-mind skating at the speed of a sloth. It's not just a physical decline, he seems at times like he has forgotten how to play hockey giving the puck away to the opposition. I don't know if they made him third pairing with protected minutes and used him on the powerplay if it could work because even with the man advantage he manages to look questionable out there sometimes. He's not a top 4 guy anymore, he's too much of a liability and I have always been a big fan of the man but I think he's done, at least in his current role.

Ahh, he seems to of played fine or OK lately and given the circumstances, I wouldn't worry about his play. He is still a 45-50point d-man, which is worth...?

(Yes shoud pair him with a quicker skater for sure and not make him kill penalties)

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher

Eller Plekanec Okposo

Carr Desharnais Andrighetto

Danault Mitchell Byron

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Emelin Pateryn

Price

Condon

Looking at a healthy lineup with a ufa pickup isn't too bad at all. Players are where they are supposed to be and that leads to a more consistent effort. I do hope though that there are more moves than that and it would be a huge boost if their draft pick is good enough to crack the lineup.

Another passing on same 3 kids? Seems Lehkonen will get some kind of invitation after solid season and he is doing super in playoffs.

Ahh, he seems to of played fine or OK lately and given the circumstances, I wouldn't worry about his play. He is still a 45-50point d-man, which is worth...?

(Yes shoud pair him with a quicker skater for sure and not make him kill penalties)

You're not worried about his play? You must be watching a different Markov than me. The guy I'm seeing has made numerous blunders since last years playoffs that have lead directly to goals and lost games either due to a brain fart or just being too damn slow. I don't think he's a top 4 anymore. That's leaves a hole Bergevin has to fill. He's still a good powerplay guy but even then he has been responsible for a few short handed against. Now that the games are meaningless he doesn't look as bad but I want him to be good when it's important and he just can't do it anymore.

I still like this Shipachyov guy MOLG mentioned. He could work as a second line Center. I think Galchenyuk is ready to step up as a number 1. Since February he has probably been scoring at a 40 goal pace. Next year I think he'll hit the 60 point plateau, possibly 65+.

Now plex would be a great 3rd line Center (decent 2nd) but at 6 mill too much for line 3. I think we should trade him, and save some cap space if possible to sign Okposo, or get a top 6 RW in return. Our bottom 6 including Eller, Mitchel, Flynn, Mccaron could probably take some decently hard minutes.

I still like this Shipachyov guy MOLG mentioned. He could work as a second line Center. I think Galchenyuk is ready to step up as a number 1. Since February he has probably been scoring at a 40 goal pace. Next year I think he'll hit the 60 point plateau, possibly 65+.

Now plex would be a great 3rd line Center (decent 2nd) but at 6 mill too much for line 3. I think we should trade him, and save some cap space if possible to sign Okposo, or get a top 6 RW in return. Our bottom 6 including Eller, Mitchel, Flynn, Mccaron could probably take some decently hard minutes.

I think assuming Shipachyov will come in and be the number 2 centre right away is a huge assumption considering he will need to adjust to the NA game.

I think you keep pleks as number 2 and have him as a number 2b, or number 3 centre.

If he really performs well, he can get more ice time and deal with things then, but I don't go into the season with pleks gone and him in the number two role and think everything will be fine. Its a big risk.

I think you save the cap space by trading eller or emelin and buying out DD.

I think assuming Shipachyov will come in and be the number 2 centre right away is a huge assumption considering he will need to adjust to the NA game.

I think you keep pleks as number 2 and have him as a number 2b, or number 3 centre.

If he really performs well, he can get more ice time and deal with things then, but I don't go into the season with pleks gone and him in the number two role and think everything will be fine. Its a big risk.

I think you save the cap space by trading eller or emelin and buying out DD.

Yea that's more thought out, I think about shedding Emelin and DD too, but I'm not sure how hard that will be

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher

Eller Plekanec Okposo

Carr Desharnais Andrighetto

Danault Mitchell Byron

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Emelin Pateryn

Price

Condon

Looking at a healthy lineup with a ufa pickup isn't too bad at all. Players are where they are supposed to be and that leads to a more consistent effort. I do hope though that there are more moves than that and it would be a huge boost if their draft pick is good enough to crack the lineup.

Yes. We do need that UFA addition, big-time. But too often the Chicken Littles forget that, when healthy, this team is top-10 overall. Add a UFA to that and we just might break into the contenders' circle. I expect next season to be a big 'bounce back' season with a lot of 'experts' being surprised at how good we are.

Yes. We do need that UFA addition, big-time. But too often the Chicken Littles forget that, when healthy, this team is top-10 overall. Add a UFA to that and we just might break into the contenders' circle. I expect next season to be a big 'bounce back' season with a lot of 'experts' being surprised at how good we are.

Ah likes da way ya tinx. We really do have a glass half full team. maybe a few more grinders needed....JUST KIDDING!!

Injuries are a reality. We need more pop in the gun. I do like ILL-Wills lineup. I would like to know who is going to fix the power play which has been incredibly bad for a way too long. Same old- same old? Who takes the fall?

Injuries are a reality. We need more pop in the gun. I do like ILL-Wills lineup. I would like to know who is going to fix the power play which has been incredibly bad for a way too long. Same old- same old? Who takes the fall?

Totally agree on the PP. In fact, I believe I said at the end of last year that if MT failed to fix that, he should be canned. At least if we had fired the coach responsible for the PP, that would show a determination to get it right at all costs.

The answer to your question is, no one takes the fall. If MT is not fired, we really need to start wondering whether there is a culture of accountability at any level higher than the players; and if there isn't, that's bad news, because it will, inevitably, leak down into the room (assuming it hasn't already).

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since anyone posted. Here's my revised lineup for next year:

Pacioretty - Stamkos - Gallagher

Yakupov - Galchenyuk - Eriksson

Carr - Plekanec - Byron

Danault - Mitchell - Weise

Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barbeiro - Pateryn

UFA

Price