Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

I saw potential in Danault but not as a centre like the team was really set on making him.

Plekanec was horrible his first year and maybe a bit longer. Let Danault get settled for a year or two.

Plekanec had 9g 29pts as rookie, missing 15games with knee injury

Then had 5 or 6 straight 20+g seasons, before had a similar to last year with mid 50s point season in 11-12.

54pts cant be horrible can it, unless maybe if you are making $8m+ and defense isn't part of your game?

I'm fine with it too. I was just saying 5 was unrealistic.

Maybe so, but there's no chance MB offers $7M to Okposo. I just don't see that happening.

After what he paid Petry?

Different player, different position. I think MB would rather sign 2 top-9 forwards than break the bank on one player that may or may not be a genuine sniper. The Petry signing was to replace a hole in our top 4 defense with a player that MB was familair with after having acquired him at the deadline. They are totaly different situations/contract variables IMO.

Different player, different position. I think MB would rather sign 2 top-9 forwards than break the bank on one player that may or may not be a genuine sniper. The Petry signing was to replace a hole in our top 4 defense with a player that MB was familair with after having acquired him at the deadline. They are totaly different situations/contract variables IMO.

I think it's a legitimate question - whether we are better to sign one 'major' UFA or fill two spots with respectable second-tier players. I can see MB doing the latter given his cautious tendencies.

I think it's a legitimate question - whether we are better to sign one 'major' UFA or fill two spots with respectable second-tier players. I can see MB doing the latter given his cautious tendencies.

I will second your thought on MB and second-tier players to fill top 6 role and I think that with contracts that will be up in the next couple of years giving 7 mil (or more) to any one player that isn't named Stamkos might not be such a wise move. Now term is where I get all messed up with in other words.

Okposo might be a good to great solution but at 7, MB will have to get creative in moving some contracts on the team (right now) so that we don't get burnt.

Then again MB did move Borque out and Moen without making a fool of the team :)

Guest Stogey24

Ya, Bergevin moved out Bourque and Moen, but took a big contract back, in Gonchar. He can't do that this time.

Ya, Bergevin moved out Bourque and Moen, but took a big contract back, in Gonchar. He can't do that this time.

he moved out guys with 2 years left on their deals for expiring contracts in gonchar and allen, it was still a savings.

Guest Stogey24

Ya, but Bergevin did that because it was apparently a "transition" year. This year we should be chasing the cup. We can't afford to take on contracts like Allen and Gonchar's.

One thing to consider is that those 'second tier' contracts could actually add up to more than we'd pay Okposo. E.g., Hudler and someone else at 4.5-5 mil each. And because they are UFA, they too will get excessive term.

A lot of variables to consider.

I'm not too worried about contractual issues, though. First build a contender, then weed out the contractual messes IMHO.

I'm sick of second tier. Second tier is what we gave Eller and DD and now we need them gone to pay the real stars. Top tier please. I want the sixth best scoring RW in the game.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/24/kyle-okposo-montreal-canadiens-main-target/

• Upvote 1

I had not 'paid' much thought on how second-tier players may end up costing more then Okposo and true if not well termed then we are way up a creek, still I will hold that the Habs NEED to have true top 6 not a troue that will just be ok to plug the hole in words that can best be described (since children are around) as:

WTF is MT doing?

IMHO we have players that can grow into that role (top 6) in the pipelines and if the Habs are to get a second-tier player then I would rather see them give that spot to a young gun. I believe in the youth and I think they serve better then say ... Nielsen (can't really say but lets say)

Because to me that means Big Mac plays with the Ice Caps and we have Hudler or Vrbata or Schenn on the 3rd moving into 1st playing with DD and Eller?!?!

That will make me say (again): WTF is M.T(urd) doing? Because that means Chucky is not there, right?

WOW!! that is some hate happening here, Habs better not have a bad season again because I think I will tell M. Molson to leave the pitchfork at home and come out to the rink with ax and sword in hands to make some heads roll.

I like MB (a lot even I think) but his mate in the fox hole with him just unpinned a grenade this past season and unless MB figures out that he NEEDS to toss out the Turd out of the hole, it will blows him up and that will make me angry.

M.Beer was at the end season presser and he looked like knows where his swords are maybe it's the axes... he knows where one of them 2 are.

I don't believe in youth at all in the immediate term. First of all, most analysts seem to agree that we lack all-star-calibre players in the system. Second, we may have second-line FWs somewhere in the pipeline, but with the the Ps all in their prime years, we cannot afford to waste 2-4 more years waiting for young players X or Y to mature to the point where they are reliable producers in both the regular season and playoffs. Remember, it's most unwise to build a contender so that it peaks in one specific season. You need to be an elite contender over a number of years in order to max out your chances; look at San Jose and Pittsburgh. So in my opinion we have no choice but to add top-6 talent RIGHT FRIGGING NOW. (Well, OK - by September. But you get the idea).

So you think Bergevin is okay for paying big money for a guy that plays #2 RD but wouldn't be for a guy that would play #1 RW.

Makes zero sense to me.

I'm with MOLG...

Add a true star rather than two mediocre guys.... The true game breaking talent is what makes a difference.

You hope that someone like a Lehkonen/Reway/Hudon/Carr/Andrighetto or a cheap free agent pickup or training camp tryout etc... can hold the fort at the other position until deadline day and then make the move.

• Upvote 1

I'm with MOLG...

Add a true star rather than two mediocre guys.... The true game breaking talent is what makes a difference.

You hope that someone like a Lehkonen/Reway/Hudon/Carr/Andrighetto or a cheap free agent pickup or training camp tryout etc... can hold the fort at the other position until deadline day and then make the move.

I agree with both of youz :) I guess it just didn't come out as articulated as your posts. I just don't see Okposo as a monster game breaker. I want the Habs to add a BEAST. The only one I see as UFA is Stamkos, otherwise I say let MB pull trigger on a trade. If trades only happen on playstation then let the kids play and I will do 100 steps on my knees (even if not in faith) at St. Josephs until(?) one the kids rewards my 'faith' :P

I agree with both of youz :) I guess it just didn't come out as articulated as your posts. I just don't see Okposo as a monster game breaker. I want the Habs to add a BEAST. The only one I see as UFA is Stamkos, otherwise I say let MB pull trigger on a trade. If trades only happen on playstation then let the kids play and I will do 100 steps on my knees (even if not in faith) at St. Josephs until(?) one the kids rewards my 'faith' :P

Yeah...I too would prefer one 'beast' to two 'second-tier' guys of the Hudler variety. But is Okposo a guy who brings so much added value as to wipe out any recourse to the 2 X 2nd tier option? That'd be the question, I guess. If it's Stamkos, then there's really no question at all.

Yeah...I too would prefer one 'beast' to two 'second-tier' guys of the Hudler variety. But is Okposo a guy who brings so much added value as to wipe out any recourse to the 2 X 2nd tier option? That'd be the question, I guess. If it's Stamkos, then there's really no question at all.

In the past three seasons, Stamkos has 104 goals, 72 assists and 176 points (in 196 games) for 0.90 points per game. That's 14th best among all NHLers that have played at least 150 games.

Okposo has 67 goals, 117 assists and 184 points in 210 games for a 0.88 points per game. That's 16th among all NHLers that have played at least 150 games.

Meaning in the regular season the difference between Okposo and Stamkos is 0.02 points per game.