Yakupov definitely available, are we interested?

habs rule

Why would the chances of Emelin having Edmonton on his trade list be good. I'd say it's pretty unlikely he wants to go to the worst team in the game. Especially in a contract year.

My bad, I got stumped by the double-negative (i.e., is not on the no-go list).

To be clear, I figure Emelin wants nothing to do with EDM.

I really don't think the price for Yakupov would be Emelin, certainly not Emelin alone... Edmonton needs good defensemen...

Given this (ridiculous) NTC, and the reasonable assumption that Emelin will nix a trade to Edmonton, maybe we should think about who else we'd send back. Any suggestions?

Look it just wouldn't right not say DD. I'll just say it.

They need defence maybe a barberio and a pateryn might do the trick?

I'm pretty sure that Edmonton want Beaulieu and that Bergevin doesn't want to give Beaulieu due to Tinordi's failure.

Beaulieu is too much. I would want more from them that Yak. I want Yak but at the right price. N8 will be great in a year or so.

Beaulieu is too much. I would want more from them that Yak. I want Yak but at the right price. N8 will be great in a year or so.

Totally agree. Just saying that a trade for Yakupov would, IMO, have to include Beaulieu. Sure, they should send something else with Yakupov in return.

Dreger says the best offer the oilers got at the deadline was a 2nd rounder.

If thats the high bid right now i dont think emelin plus third would be crazy

I would do Emelin and a 2nd...just to be rid of Emelin.

What has Yakupov done to prove that he was a good #1 pick ? If the Habs and Bergevin picked first and had such results the fans would want Bergevin or Timmins head. Don't pay too much for an unproven player but pay well for a top player who's available

• Upvote 1

I think if they swing a non-crippling deal for Yakupov, and add a quality top-6 FW as a UFA, they can certainly go into next season optimistic that we've fixed the most glaring area of organizational weakness. Personally, I'd be OK (not overjoyed) with adding said quality UFA and then trusting to a rookie or a patch-up job to fill the last spot up front; but if that guy could be Yakupov, well, so much the better. It's pretty rare that a #1 overall pick completely flames out, and it IS significant that he's been trapped in an organization where most players seem to fall short of their potential.

Guest Stogey24

Sportsnet did a good write up on the Yakupov situation. The scouts really don't seem to like the kid. I think Lovette mentioned it too when he watched Yak live; he's apparently clueless without the puck.

We watched a decent amount of sting games while Yakupov was there, he looked damn good. Great release and his defensive game wasn't terrible by any means.

Maybe some time in the minors, before the show, would have done him some good.

Yakupov is a bust. Hes playing with McDavid and still not performing adequatley. The kid is lost. No hockey sense at all.

Nobody will offer Edmonton anything of value for him. If they had he'd have been moved already

As to the +- thing (a useless stat) there are 8 guys on the entire sad team that are 0 or more. Connor Mcdavid is +1 with 45 points for crying out loud. The top guy is a +8. Sounds like a team epidemic to me.

Yes It's mostly a team stat that's flawed but he manages to be near the most minus on the team every year so it can't be a coincidence. The stat means more when you compare him to his teammates.

• Upvote 1

Yes It's mostly a team stat that's flawed but he manages to be near the most minus on the team every year so it can't be a coincidence. The stat means more when you compare him to his teammates.

Or you could look at usage, quality of competition, corsi, fenwick, and pdo. Stats analysis can be useful but there is so much more info that is avaliable today and better than plus/minus so why live with it still? Maybe in lower leagues its still okay... but in the nhl now there is no reason to pay attention to plus/minus

If we could clear some cap space (Eller Emelin and dd) we could also sign Okposo. I like him a lot better than a Yakupov experiement but why not both? We could potentially being back a second line LW in one of the Eller dd Emelin trades, OR if I'm being unrealistic another UFA.

A top six of

Patch-Chucky-Yakupov

Perron/Ladd- Plekanec - Okposo

Just a tad better than what we have now (except way better)

Of course Ladd + Okposo will probably take up 12 mill total. Emelin Eller dd take up 11.1 mill.. Not impossible.

How can you not have Gallagher in your top 6???

If we could clear some cap space (Eller Emelin and dd) we could also sign Okposo. I like him a lot better than a Yakupov experiement but why not both? We could potentially being back a second line LW in one of the Eller dd Emelin trades, OR if I'm being unrealistic another UFA.

A top six of

Patch-Chucky-Yakupov

Of course Ladd + Okposo will probably take up 12 mill total. Emelin Eller dd take up 11.1 mill.. Not impossible.

How can you not have Gallagher in your top 6???

Because I had a huge brain fart. Gallagher missing for the bulk of the year messed with me haha. Scrap Yakupov and plop in Gallagher.

Guest Stogey24

A top six of

Patch-Chucky-Yakupov

It would be tough to move DD,Eller, and Emelin without bringing some type of cap hit in return.

Guest Stogey24

Bergevin had success dumping Gorges, Moen and Bourque without the Habs taking crippling cap returns.

He still took players back though. It's not like we're just going to clear Desharnais and Eller's cap hit. Who even wants either of them for the money they're making? I guess the one year remaining for both helps.