Yakupov definitely available, are we interested?

habs rule

Yak is the type of player that you always keep on those Alex Semin one year contracts.

I think it's a wee early to write off a guy who is 22 and is playing for the most dysfunctional and incompetent organization of this era (which is saying something considering how lousy a lot of franchises have been).

I think it's a wee early to write off a guy who is 22 and is playing for the most dysfunctional and incompetent organization of this era (which is saying something considering how lousy a lot of franchises have been).

Didn't know he played for the Leafs?

Didn't know he played for the Leafs?

As much as I hate the Leafs, they have nothing on Kevin Lowe and company.

• 2 weeks later...

tl;dr

I'm living in Edmonton. Chiarelli already admitted after the trade deadline the best he can expect for Yak is a draft pick. Edmonton needs defence, Emelin is a defenceman. Edmonton has cap space, Emelin has a moderate cap hit. Edmonton wants Yak gone, Montreal needs a scroing forward.

Honestly? Emelin + 3rd is probably all it'll take to get Yak. This isn't only my opinion, work with a lot of oilers fans.

Guest Stogey24

I think Emelin's trade value has increased some for sure. His contract sucks, but he did play better hockey towards end of year.

tl;dr

I'm living in Edmonton. Chiarelli already admitted after the trade deadline the best he can expect for Yak is a draft pick. Edmonton needs defence, Emelin is a defenceman. Edmonton has cap space, Emelin has a moderate cap hit. Edmonton wants Yak gone, Montreal needs a scroing forward.

Honestly? Emelin + 3rd is probably all it'll take to get Yak. This isn't only my opinion, work with a lot of oilers fans.

it won't work, Yakupov embodies everything in a hockey player that Therrien dislikes, and he is not nearly productive enough to make a coach like Therrien look the other way. To play the game the way Yakupov, Semin, and those type of players play you have to be productive like Kovalev was, otherwise your coach will not see the upside to you being on the ice and toss you aside like a dry steak. Kovalev did the exact same thing those guys did, but he also broke games wide open on his own some nights and at the end of the season was always among your more productive top 6 players, easier to swallow the pill. Semin did it for the first few years but once his production slip, the patience for the rest of his game from all his coaches took a nose dive, as it did for Kovalev in Ottawa.

• 4 weeks later...

I would take Yakupov in a minute, for Emelin and a 3rd, he can fly, and who knows, maybe having "play the right way" drilled into his head from camp may turn him around.

His speed and scoring skill is not something that can be taught, how to play the game can be taught.

For Emelin and a 3rd, let alone the "bad contract" that most Hab fans think Emelin is, for a #1 draft pick, that may very well have chemistry(maybe not) with our future #1 center.

Considering the griping of all us Hab fans about lack of talent in our top 6, how can anyone think that Bergevin shouldn't pull the trigger on him is astounding.

I would take Yakupov in a minute, for Emelin and a 3rd, he can fly, and who knows, maybe having "play the right way" drilled into his head from camp may turn him around.

His speed and scoring skill is not something that can be taught, how to play the game can be taught.

For Emelin and a 3rd, let alone the "bad contract" that most Hab fans think Emelin is, for a #1 draft pick, that may very well have chemistry(maybe not) with our future #1 center.

Considering the griping of all us Hab fans about lack of talent in our top 6, how can anyone think that Bergevin shouldn't pull the trigger on him is astounding.

Yes. Given our desperate need for top-6 talent up front, I think that if EDM bites on Emelin and a third, it's well worth the risk. However, such a move should not be a substitute for adding Okposo or some other quality scoring W. As for the D, let Pateryn become the designated 'physical' D-man and bump Barberio to LD on the bottom pairing. It'd be a good trade for us; why Edmonton would do it is another question.

Emelin partial no trade clause will include Edmonton like 99% of other NHLers with NTA protection

I bet that a lot of NHLers will exclude Edmonton from their no trade list now they've seen McDavid play.

Especially guys from Western Canada like Gallagher and Lucic and guys that were born and raised in Alberta like Mike Green, JayBoo, Lupul, Little.

There is a more than fair chance that McDavid will eventually win a Cup or two and that could very likely be in Edmonton now that they've put some good hockey guys in place.

Emelin partial no trade clause will include Edmonton like 99% of other NHLers with NTA protection

Emelin's contract is God-awful - more for the partial NTC than for the salary. Boy, did MB blow that one.