Scott Recalled

l<OV4L3V

Never should have picked up Brown from waivers. Should have just called up Scott.

No kidding. Didn't Therrien say McCarron would finish the season in MTL?

Here's hoping he knocks Shawn Thornton's block off, because for starters he's Shawn Thornton, and also because I'll be rooting for the Panthers by default in the playoffs and Gallant might actually play him.

Scott passed McCarron for the PIM lead in St. John's last week and now McCarron has been sent down. Coincidence? I think not. (Okay, maybe it is...)

I don't mind McCarron being sent back - honestly, I'd have liked de la Rose to go too but he had to go get hurt. I suspect (and quite frankly, hope) that Scott will get at most one game. With Carr and Gallagher back and guys like Matteau and Brown already sitting, there really isn't room for him up front. The fact they emergency-recalled Johnston suggests they plan to play him in place of Lernout on the back end and not Scott.

This is also the final non-emergency recall of the four that the Habs are allowed to use between now and the end of the season.

Doesn't exactly speak to a top-6 guy, does it? Surely he has a future in the top-9 though.

He's from the Sylvain Lefebvre School of Awesome.

Hudon seems to be the only Ice Cap with a shot at top-6 (maybe Sherbak two years from now) and he can't get a sniff.

They got rolled 12-1 in three games this weekend.

Five years without a playoff appearance. No wonder Andlauer was pissed.

Doesn't exactly speak to a top-6 guy, does it? Surely he has a future in the top-9 though.

He's 21. Mike Ribeiro at the same age had two points in his first 19 games. Gotta be patient with players. I honestly do not expect McCarron to find his offensive stride into the league until he's 24, 25, when comparable guys like Ryane Clowe and Bryan Bickell found their game.

• Upvote 1

He's from the Sylvain Lefebvre School of Awesome.

Hudon seems to be the only Ice Cap with a shot at top-6 (maybe Sherbak two years from now) and he can't get a sniff.

They got rolled 12-1 in three games this weekend.

Five years without a playoff appearance. No wonder Andlauer was pissed.

There is much to blame Lefebvre for, I agree with that.

I'm not gonna get on him for the lack of development of McCarron's offensive game, its not like he's ever been a consistent scorer at any level.

Guest Stogey24

He's 21. Mike Ribeiro at the same age had two points in his first 19 games. Gotta be patient with players. I honestly do not expect McCarron to find his offensive stride into the league until he's 24, 25, when comparable guys like Ryane Clowe and Bryan Bickell found their game.

Exactly, he's young. I'm not really sure how anyone can be disappointed with him.

I spent alot of Friday nights at the Knights games; I've seen what this kid was and he's come a long way in just a short period of time. Is he going to be a top line player, highly unlikely, but I do know what he brings to the table and it's something that Montreal has been missing.

Only time will tell, but his development is heading in the right direction.

Exactly, he's young. I'm not really sure how anyone can be disappointed with him.

I spent alot of Friday nights at the Knights games, I've seen what this kid was; he's come a long way in just short period of time. Is he going to be a top line player, highly unlikely, but I do know what he brings to the table and it's something that Montreal has been missing.

Only time will tell, but his development is heading in the right direction.

The top player stuff gets up my craw mostly because:

- 25th overall picks rarely become superstars in the history of the NHL draft

- Nobody puts the same pressure on de La Rose as they do McCarron when they were selected nine spots apart. Heck Fucale gets treated with the patience one should be treating McCarron with since he was expected to be a first round pick but because we got him in the early 2nd instead, it's all on Big Mike.

- If McCarron had the skill to be a consistent top six scorer with his size he never would have dropped to the final five choices in the first round. He would have been taken in the top five and treated like the second coming of Eric Lindros (or at least a poor man's Lindros)

- When McCarron does find his game he will more likely be the type of guy who has third line skill but gets played on the top PP unit because of his size and ability in front of the net, enhancing his statistics into a top six forward. He won't be expected to take the defensive shifts of a top six player, nor will he be expected to take the carry load for offence at even strength. He's going to make his mark as a PP player and bump the fourth best winger on the team out of the PP rotation. And that all is perfectly fine with me on where he was drafted and what he brings to the table. For some, they obsess over the fact he was a first round pick and it's silly when the Habs basically had three draft picks in a 15 spot space.

- The biggest McCarron hater here was crazy about J.T. Compher at the draft, and openly complained about us not selecting him when we could have had him at de La Rose's spot. Compher is still not in the NHL, which is fine, because... he's only 21! Something that does not extend to McCarron apparently.

• Upvote 3

according to Habs twitter: Canadiens assigned forward Michael McCarron to the AHL IceCaps, and recalled John Scott from St. John's tonight.

IT'S ABOUT TIME

McCarron- I believe this is about giving him the extra few games in a role that he needs to be in

Scott- last move available to Habs- in the dregs of lineup- there could be more injuries to the defense before the last three games are played out

These will probably be John Scott's last nhl games. Nice gesture to bring him up and let him finish in the NHL.

Just to put the rancid cherry on top of the sh*t sundae that is the 2015-16 season...we call up this thug.

:bonk: indeed

BC I think you have it right on. The only way to erase the stain on the CH from getting involved in the league machinations around Scott is to let him play. I actually think it reflects well on the franchise. And, it will make a hell of an end to the movie.

CC, while I agree with your assessment of the season which is all that more bitter due to the scintillating start (Gallivan reference deliberate) your assessment of Scott is a little harsh. He has dealt with a difficult situation with aplomb and deserves a final curtain call. After all, we can use all the entertainment/feel good stories we can get from this season of merde.

Well at least a bum like Scott wont hurt the tank, hope he plays 20minutes. 5 at forward, 5 on d and 10 between the pipes. He cant be any worse a goalie than skater can he?

BC I think you have it right on. The only way to erase the stain on the CH from getting involved in the league machinations around Scott is to let him play. I actually think it reflects well on the franchise. And, it will make a hell of an end to the movie.

CC, while I agree with your assessment of the season which is all that more bitter due to the scintillating start (Gallivan reference deliberate) your assessment of Scott is a little harsh. He has dealt with a difficult situation with aplomb and deserves a final curtain call. After all, we can use all the entertainment/feel good stories we can get from this season of merde.

The 'feel good story' for Scott was the all-star game. While I concede that giving him a last hurrah in the NHL is a nice idea in principle, the truth is that he does not belong in the league in the first place. His entire role is to punch guys in the head. Other than that he is a speed bump. So I don't see why he deserves a 'last hurrah' in particular. Why him and not, say, Chris Higgins, an actual hockey player? Do any of us really have an emotional attachment to John Scott? And why does he deserve a 'thank you' (MT) and not some other veteran who has toiled in obscurity in the AHL without making a fraction of Scott's money or enjoying a fraction of his unwarranted fame?

As for 'entertainment,' I used to enjoy fighting and enforcers, but I'm totally past it, in this era of concussions and brain-damaged fighters. These guys are liabilities on the ice - and increasingly liabilities in law.

Anyway, it's not like I'm in a frothing rage about it. But John Scott has no business wearing the CH, and the fact that this is happening is a sad indictment of how wretchedly low we've sunk this year IMHO.

• Upvote 1

My only "Yay Scott" is an FU to the NHL.

- Create an All-Star Game voting where fans can vote for anyone

- They vote for John Scott

- Arizona trades Scott to Montreal where he's sent to St. John's, all while Bergevin acts weird about it all like he was told to take him for the good of the league

- Scott, who at one point didn't want to play, changes his mind.

- NHL executive tries to shame him into not playing by bringing up his daughters and telling him he'd be basically embarrassing them to go

- Scott has his NHL all-star moment but still doesn't play a game in the NHL until now, even when the Habs picked up Mike Brown on waivers to punch people

I'm against fighting in the NHL and would prefer it gone or at least far more penalized so I have no love for enforcers or goons. But I don't like to see a human being's life be messed around by the league just because their own decisions might make them look bad. I also don't like this club trading for him for no reason and then trying to bury the shame in the minors when the guy is getting major attention all around.

• Upvote 1

I guess we can agree to disagree... one point of clarification, I was not referring to the entertainment value of Scott punching out an opposition player, but the entertainment of the story itself--although I would make an exception if we were playing Boston.

In fact, I am sorry that MTL got involved in this whole sorry story at all, but not playing Scott when it doesn't matter would make Les Canadiens look worse, IMHO

• Upvote 1

Ahh to hell with it, lets bring Brown in and anybody else who can fight, let's go kick the crap out of whoever we are playing. We have been abused and pushed around long enough. Fork em all. We got nothing to lose so let's go fork some people up. You guys know I am kidding right?