NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

but ya know, GM's get fired every year so how long would this threat actually be?

Look at Burkie he got pissed off 2 teams ago, you think anybody cares?

Yes people care. That's why you don't see offer sheets

Id counter that you dont see offer sheets cause

1) teams match almost all of them. You really need to find a vulnerable team... no cap space or no money for it to work. Most gms are smart enough to leave room in the budget for the rfa.

2) in order that they dont match you have to overpay.

3) compensation is based on contract. Which because of #2 is an overpay. So you overpay money and you overpay in draft picks too

Rumblings about Ice Caps moving to Laval this year. Not sure how much truth is behind that

TVA sports have it as a done deal.

Not like we didn't know it was coming.

Rumblings about Ice Caps moving to Laval this year. Not sure how much truth is behind that

It won't be this year, the arena's not ready yet. Monday's press conference will be to announce that it will happen, probably for 2017-18.

The bridge deal for top players appears to be going the way of the dodo bird this offseason. In the span of about 20 minutes, Mark Scheifele signed for 8 years, $49M with Winnipeg and Nathan MacKinnon for 7 years and $44.1M.

Edit: A good read about the death of the bridge deal: http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/07/death-bridge-deal.html

Expansion draft related or ?

There were some last year too that skipped the bridge so I don't think it's related to the expansion draft. I think the plan for GM's now is to bypass the bridge to keep the overall AAV down relative to what a third (post-bridge) contract would be. Is, say, two years at $3.75M and then 6 years at $7M better cap-planning wise than 8 years at $6.25M?

Right now they really only got Galchneyuk & Beaulieu to get re-signed next year.

Radulov, Markov, Desharnais likely all bye bye.

Right now they really only got Galchneyuk & Beaulieu to get re-signed next year.

On top of re-signing Galchenyuk/Beaulieu, they'd also have to sign replacements for Radulov and Markov as there isn't anyone in the system ready to take their spots for next year. (Desharnais is another story, someone like Hudon could potentially slide into his spot.)

Anyone can replace DD and we probably wouldn't miss a beat.

On top of re-signing Galchenyuk/Beaulieu, they'd also have to sign replacements for Radulov and Markov as there isn't anyone in the system ready to take their spots for next year. (Desharnais is another story, someone like Hudon could potentially slide into his spot.)

Radulov hasn't even got here yet and we are already assuming he leaves?

Sure why not, if he has solid year seems likely to test free agency with just the 1 year deal isn't he.

Sure why not, if he has solid year seems likely to test free agency with just the 1 year deal isn't he.

If he has a solid year, we will have the money to re-sign him from the fact that Parenteau, DD and Markov will be off the books.

He also choose Montreal when he had better offers elsewhere.

If he has a solid year, we will have the money to re-sign him from the fact that Parenteau, DD and Markov will be off the books.

He also choose Montreal when he had better offers elsewhere.

Also was wrong when I assumed Habs had 0% of extending Petry before he hit free agency, so what do I know. But, still would bet that he will chase the big bucks and sign with NY/L.A. or some big American market with a good team.

Listening to Radulov it sounded like the comfort of his family was by far the most important consideration. I think he left money and term on the table to sign with the Habs. Things are pretty shaky in the U.S, politically atm, so he might not want to endure that after living in Russia. If things are working smoothly he probably could be re-upped without too much effort after the season. You have to think at least a couple of the younger players will be ready to step up. Especially from the 2013 draft class which looks very promising. McCarron, de La Rose, Lehkonen, Reway, are all NHLers.

Yeah I don't really get that. Markov is done. DD who cares, but jeez you should at least let Radioactive man unpack before we kick him out.

Yeah I don't really get that. Markov is done. DD who cares, but jeez you should at least let Radioactive man unpack before we kick him out.

'Radioactive Man' :D Nicely coined, sir.

I wonder whether Kovalev's well-documented love of Montreal, along with Markov's, play any role in making the Canadiens disproportionately appealing to Russian players? Just a thought.

'Radioactive Man' :D Nicely coined, sir.

I wonder whether Kovalev's well-documented love of Montreal, along with Markov's, play any role in making the Canadiens disproportionately appealing to Russian players? Just a thought.

Having spent about all of a day of my life in Montreal, I'm not the one to really comment on this but doesn't the city have the reputation of having more of an international/European feel? That in itself may appeal to international players like the Russians.

Having spent about all of a day of my life in Montreal, I'm not the one to really comment on this but doesn't the city have the reputation of having more of an international/European feel? That in itself may appeal to international players like the Russians.

Yeah the reputation, and I have not lived there either, got drunk at a grey cup once, Is that it is more European style place. Which is great, Canada is all about diversity.

Guest Stogey24

The #Canadiens currently have 25 players on 1-way deals (*lead the league).

Only 1 of those players is waiver exempt (D. Carr).

14 F

8 D

3 G

I've spent about a week there on a school trip, and another week with my family. I can certainly say it has a different feel that any other city I've been; there is a vibe of history and culture. I have never been to Europe but my imagination can understand why people say it. I love the city personally!

The #Canadiens currently have 25 players on 1-way deals (*lead the league).

Only 1 of those players is waiver exempt (D. Carr).

14 F

8 D

3 G

Redmond and Condon will go through waivers and be sent down. My hope is Desharnais gets sent too (or traded) because Hudon or Lehkonen make the team.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic