2016-17 Schedule

dlbalr

The full schedule will be released tomorrow afternoon but we got a little bit of info today:

- The season starts October 12th, a bit later than usual. (We can thank the World Cup of Money Grab Hockey for that.)

- Montreal opens up October 13th in Buffalo (not Toronto for a change). That's the only opponent home opener they play in (I think they had three last year)

- The home opener goes October 18th against Pittsburgh.

I'm excited that they did NOT foist Toronto on us for the home opener for one g*damned time in my life. I get SOOOO sick of the idea that Toronto is our supreme rival, a notion that has everything to do with TO nostalgia fantasies and zilch to do with real life. But instead they give us - BUFFALO?!? Oy vey. That's like replacing a turd with a different kind of turd.

July Stanley Cup finals coming up, sweet.

It won't be that bad. I suspect they'll work with a compressed schedule (which will be fun considering there's a mandatory extended midseason break for each team now as part of the new ASG format). There could be a lot more back-to-backs this year.

It won't be that bad. I suspect they'll work with a compressed schedule (which will be fun considering there's a mandatory extended midseason break for each team now as part of the new ASG format). There could be a lot more back-to-backs this year.

Sorry, forgot the heavy sarcasm font. Waiting till mid-October will suck, when I think they should start season in sept. But must not go up against MLB ratings or something goofy like that, so cant have that?

I'll have to look at the schedule a little closer. I am trying to do a cheap travel weekend, but all the cities that have cheap air fare from Denver have weekday games. I'd like to take my son to a different arena, since all he's been at is Pepsi here.

Originally, this year was going to be the year we traveled to Montreal for a game, but that's most likely not happening.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The national TV schedules are out. Here's the Sportsnet one for the Habs: http://media.sportsnet.ca/2016/08/every-play-every-moment-every-game-sportsnet-announces-montreal-canadiens-2016-17-broadcast-schedule/

44 of the 82 games are nationally televised in Canada. 8 games are national on SN 360, all Thursdays before Christmas instead of shifting the regional rights over to City.

The national TV schedules are out. Here's the Sportsnet one for the Habs: http://media.sportsnet.ca/2016/08/every-play-every-moment-every-game-sportsnet-announces-montreal-canadiens-2016-17-broadcast-schedule/

44 of the 82 games are nationally televised in Canada. 8 games are national on SN 360, all Thursdays before Christmas instead of shifting the regional rights over to City.

thanks

Saw a note that when Markov plays 72 more games, he will be only the 6th to play 1,000 games as a Hab. I just assumed was a whole bunch of them who did that.

Saw a note that when Markov plays 72 more games, he will be only the 6th to play 1,000 games as a Hab. I just assumed was a whole bunch of them who did that.

Here's the list (just sort by GP), lots of great Canadiens failed to reach that plateau: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/montreal-canadiens-players-career-nhl-stats.html

• Upvote 1

Here's the list (just sort by GP), lots of great Canadiens failed to reach that plateau: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/montreal-canadiens-players-career-nhl-stats.html

Funny to realize that Patrice Brisebois is 12th all time on the list of games played for the Habs! :habslogo: I'll bet you could ask most fans that trivia question all day and they'd never get to Breezer.

(A further thing of note is that Pierre Turgeon is third all-time on the Montreal Canadiens in points per game (!). Sure glad we dumped him along with Craig Conroy for Shane Corson and Murray Baron.)

Boy, Markov will be in some rarified air there. If he can pass Provost, he will truly join a class of all-time NHL greats, behind Richard, Robinson, Gainey and Beliveau. Granted, modern players have the advantage of longer seasons, but then again player mobility is much higher than it once was, and markov lost what, two and a half seasons to bizarre injuries? So it's a remarkable accomplishment no matter how you slice it.

That said, this is the first era in which players can play upwards of 1000 games with the Canadiens and never win a Cup or be considered anywhere close to the category of a 'legendary' player, Look at Plekanec, who at 19th on this list has quietly put together a career that makes him one of the defining Habs of his era. But if contrast him to the defining Habs of previous eras, it's not even close. Sigh.

Funny to realize that Patrice Brisebois is 12th all time on the list of games played for the Habs! :habslogo: I'll bet you could ask most fans that trivia question all day and they'd never get to Breezer.

Trivia question? Hmm, that reminds me of an old summer thread that some on here were so fond of a few years ago. Perhaps it should be brought back to get through the rest of the summer lull?

Trivia question? Hmm, that reminds me of an old summer thread that some on here were so fond of a few years ago. Perhaps it should be brought back to get through the rest of the summer lull?

You bet. Awesome thread idea.

Something tells me you could have used this before your post: sarcasm_on_zps2e162f30.gif

Hell no. No sarcasm at all. Anything to get people attention off that Subban trade thread and the eternal comparison between Subban and Weber. :)
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sportsnet released their TV preseason schedule and there is one Montreal national game on there: Sunday, Oct. 2nd at 7 PM vs Toronto (on Sportsnet One). TSN's regional schedule isn't out yet (there are two games against Ottawa that could be televised on TSN5) while all games are on RDS (regional only).