Bergevin meeting the media this afternoon

dlbalr

Bergevin will hold court with the media at 5:30 PM EST (I've also seen 6:15 PM from Friedman). (This was called long before the Subban speculation too.) Given the increase in chatter involving Subban (including Jim Benning publicly acknowledging talks had been held), there may be a nugget or two to discuss.

Bergevin will hold court with the media at 5:30 PM EST (I've also seen 6:15 PM from Friedman). (This was called long before the Subban speculation too.) Given the increase in chatter involving Subban (including Jim Benning publicly acknowledging talks had been held), there may be a nugget or two to discuss.

Georges Laraque is trying to become the French Canadian Eklund, claiming he heard the Habs asked for Draisaitl and 4th for Subban.

Bergevin said he has never shopped Subban and never will. Merely listening.

So basically what everyone already knew. He didn't unequivocally state that he won't trade Subban so the speculation will surely continue.

He also acknowledged that he'd like to move up in the draft.

Is the rumour of Draisaitl and the 4th o/a pick strictly from Laraque or is it from someone credible?

the former is my guess :youpi:

Bergevin tried to move up before also with no luck, hasn't he?

(sorry, forgot this is first 2nd round picks he has had since taking Lehkonen/fucale/delaRose and having two 2nd's he has some ammo)

So basically what everyone already knew. He didn't unequivocally state that he won't trade Subban so the speculation will surely continue.

He also acknowledged that he'd like to move up in the draft.

he would trade up for immediate help, is that Dubois or Thkuck I assume?

(Nylander should be OHL one more year for sure eh?)

he would trade up for immediate help, is that Dubois or Thkuck I assume?

if he is trading up, he's going for the french guy.

That might diffuse some of the backlash if Subban was part of the deal.

What a shitstorm that would be!

No question at all in my mind.The pick for Dubois will be part of any return on PK.

What's amazing is that this is what Bergevin thinks constitutes defusing a rumour.

Clearly he's not 100% opposed to trading him so he can't come out and unequivocally say he won't be dealt. So he did close to the next best thing - say he's not shopping Subban and that the talks involving him have been short phone calls. He then said it wouldn't be realistic to think he would trade him. Unfortunately, anything short of the first thing won't diffuse it entirely (and even if he did say that, half the people wouldn't believe him anyways). He certainly poured some water on the flames though.

You have to wonder if there would even be any question of trading subban if we didn't have an idiotic coach who clearly doesn't appreciate how good of a player subban is. I remember a number of people have said over the last few years, at the end of the day PK will be here long after Therrien is gone. I hope they were right, but I got a bad feeling about the next 24 hours.

Most probably wouldn't agree with me, but I'd trade Price before subban (would have to be a monstrous deal - not the kind of crap deal rumoured for subban like a 4th and draisatl). A stud defenceman is a heck of a lot harder to replace than a goalie - even if he is the best in the world. Cups have been won a lot more often without a superstar goalie, Than without an elite dman.

Whatever happens, things could be worse - you could be David Cameron right now

Don't really give a damn about what the Brits decided - I care a lot more what the Habs do over the next 24 hrs and up in through July 1st. IMO trading subban is the bigger disaster as far as I'm concerned! The Habs fortune will plunge harder than the pound is now- but the pound will probably recover faster.

Don't really give a damn about what the Brits decided - I care a lot more what the Habs do over the next 24 hrs and up in through July 1st. IMO trading subban is the bigger disaster as far as I'm concerned! The Habs fortune will plunge harder than the pound is now- but the pound will probably recover faster.

It's all in the return, but look, I've said many times that if they trade PK, I will reconsider my fandom. The return had better be g*damned amazing.

EDIT: Bergevin seems pretty reassuring here to me, but the 'comments' section clearly disagree http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-gm-bergevin-cools-down-p-k-subban-trade-rumours

It's all in the return, but look, I've said many times that if they trade PK, I will reconsider my fandom. The return had better be g*damned amazing.

EDIT: Bergevin seems pretty reassuring here to me, but the 'comments' section clearly disagree http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-gm-bergevin-cools-down-p-k-subban-trade-rumours

It's not just the comments section. A lot of the columns i've read, the columnists all pretty much said, that he could have been much firmer in saying that they aren't trading Subban and one even suggested that if the question was about Price, he probably would have been much more firmer in saying that he is not moving Price.

I've got this bad feeling that they will be hell bent on trying to get the french kid and sacrifice Subban to do so.

Bergevin is damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If he says... I'm not trading subban, and not even listening to offers... people will criticize him and say, you should at least listen. What if the Oilers went crazy and offered McDavid Subban, you wouldnt do it?

He says he's not trading subban and taking calls, and shit just keeps coming down.

July 1st needs to get here so the NTC kicks in.

All he needed to say is that he's got calls, but he's not interested in trading him and than just shut the Fxck up. Just like subban should've shut the Fxck up instead of saying it's not his job to score goals.

If later you get an offer that is too good to pass up, you say I didn't want to move him, but he was blown away by the offer.

I wouldnt be so concerned if throughout his career, subban received half hearted support from his coach and gm. From the contract negotiations, to whether subban belonged on the Olympic team (which was half-hearted to back-handed compliment support at best), to even last year when MT called out subban's mistakes publically on more than on occasion. I've seen karllson, peiterangelo, doughty, Giordano, Weber, suter all make similar plays without their coaches singling them out like MT consistently does.

Can't wait for July 1st to hopefully pass without a mistake. I want MT to make a deal, but subban, price, maxpac, galchenyuk and Gallagher should be off limits - in that order. Yeah, if someone makes a stupid offer you can't refuse, you make a deal, but no reason to say that at this time.

As far as I'm concerned, every other player on the team with the exception of those 5 should be fair game to improve this team, either to trade to upgrade top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen, or move up in the draft for a difference maker.

We have a two year window with price and maxpac's contracts and another year before galchenyuk gets his raise, need to go all in this year.

Bergevin is damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If he says... I'm not trading subban, and not even listening to offers... people will criticize him and say, you should at least listen. What if the Oilers went crazy and offered McDavid Subban, you wouldnt do it?

He says he's not trading subban and taking calls, and shit just keeps coming down.

July 1st needs to get here so the NTC kicks in.