Bergevin meeting the media this afternoon

dlbalr

Bergevin is damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If he says... I'm not trading subban, and not even listening to offers... people will criticize him and say, you should at least listen. What if the Oilers went crazy and offered McDavid Subban, you wouldnt do it?

He says he's not trading subban and taking calls, and shit just keeps coming down.

July 1st needs to get here so the NTC kicks in.

If someone makes a stupid offer you still listen. You just make it clear publicly you're not trading him so the Leon+4th offers don't clog your time up. Bergevin is basically saying, "I'm in a committed relationship but I'm still going to listen to proposals" and that keeps the door open publicly that he could trade him.

I just get the feeling if this was about Phillip Danault he'd give a straight answer.

All he needed to say is that he's got calls, but he's not interested in trading him and than just shut the Fxck up. Just like subban should've shut the Fxck up instead of saying it's not his job to score goals.

If later you get an offer that is too good to pass up, you say I didn't want to move him, but he was blown away by the offer.

I wouldnt be so concerned if throughout his career, subban received half hearted support from his coach and gm. From the contract negotiations, to whether subban belonged on the Olympic team (which was half-hearted to back-handed compliment support at best), to even last year when MT called out subban's mistakes publically on more than on occasion. I've seen karllson, peiterangelo, doughty, Giordano, Weber, suter all make similar plays without their coaches singling them out like MT consistently does.

Can't wait for July 1st to hopefully pass without a mistake. I want MT to make a deal, but subban, price, maxpac, galchenyuk and Gallagher should be off limits - in that order. Yeah, if someone makes a stupid offer you can't refuse, you make a deal, but no reason to say that at this time.

As far as I'm concerned, every other player on the team with the exception of those 5 should be fair game to improve this team, either to trade to upgrade top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen, or move up in the draft for a difference maker.

We have a two year window with price and maxpac's contracts and another year before galchenyuk gets his raise, need to go all in this year.

While I would do what MB is doing and take the calls on the off-chance that I get a slam-dunk offer, I basically agree with you. A commentator - I forget which one - was on Vancouver radio yesterday, praising PK as an absolutely elite defenceman, but also saying that 'while no one doubts that he's really, really good, there is debate in some circles as to just HOW good he is.' You and I see him as a top-5 NHL defenceman, a superstar. Others, like the Team Canada management clowns, don't. I suspect that Begervin has always been on the side of the relative skeptics about Subban. And I'd guess that the moment PK forced him into signing that $9 million contract, Bergy has kept the window for trading him open just a crack. That said, I don't believe Bergevin is dumb, and I'm tolerably sure he knows he needs to hit a home run if he moves his foundational position player. The more worrisome variable is ownership - and whether Molson is stupid enough not to understand that PK Subban gives you all the PR benefits that a French Canadian all-star could do.

(Those who looove the idea of a Quebec City franchise should also ask themselves whether having to compete with that franchise for the francophone market could become an added factor in a situation like this).

While I would do what MB is doing and take the calls on the off-chance that I get a slam-dunk offer, I basically agree with you. A commentator - I forget which one - was on Vancouver radio yesterday, praising PK as an absolutely elite defenceman, but also saying that 'while no one doubts that he's really, really good, there is debate in some circles as to just HOW good he is.' You and I see him as a top-5 NHL defenceman, a superstar. Others, like the Team Canada management clowns, don't. I suspect that Begervin has always been on the side of the relative skeptics about Subban. And I'd guess that the moment PK forced him into signing that $9 million contract, Bergy has kept the window for trading him open just a crack. That said, I don't believe Bergevin is dumb, and I'm tolerably sure he knows he needs to hit a home run if he moves his foundational position player. The more worrisome variable is ownership - and whether Molson is stupid enough not to understand that PK Subban gives you all the PR benefits that a French Canadian all-star could do.

(Those who looove the idea of a Quebec City franchise should also ask themselves whether having to compete with that franchise for the francophone market could become an added factor in a situation like this).

Go QC Go, comeon Bettman make it happen!

Go QC Go, comeon Bettman make it happen!

Yeah - GO Quebec, create stronger pressure on the Habs' ownership to do idiotic things like trade Subban in order to draft a French kid. YAAAAY

• Upvote 1

Yeah - GO Quebec, create stronger pressure on the Habs' ownership to do idiotic things like trade Subban in order to draft a French kid. YAAAAY

What you basing that on, Quebec forcing Habs to make idiotic trade of Patrick Roy to them...Oh sorry, that stupid trade happened once they left Quebec. Which kinda points to opposite of what you say.

What you basing that on, Quebec forcing Habs to make idiotic trade of Patrick Roy to them...Oh sorry, that stupid trade happened once they left Quebec. Which kinda points to opposite of what you say.

It's more along the lines of that the Habs, who already restrict their options in certain areas to only get French coaches/GM's, may be forced to further restrict themselves in a battle to become the "true French team" (we know a Quebec NHL team would slant that way in a hurry). Considering most of us are already against their policies when it comes to that, expanding them even further isn't ideal in my opinion.

The Habs never tried harder to be "the french team" than the decade the Nordiques were in the NHL. If you think their return would push us away from the French only coaching policy, you're sadly mistaken IMO.

The Habs never tried harder to be "the french team" than the decade the Nordiques were in the NHL. If you think their return would push us away from the French only coaching policy, you're sadly mistaken IMO.

Who are you aiming comment at? It is a given Quebec teams want or demand French coaches, fact of life and for sure a dead horse.

It is entertainment business and Habs-Quebec games were friggin great and playoffs even better.

It was aimed at the suggestion that the Roy trade pointed the other direction.... That was one move, and its one where we had a francophone superstar and only traded him after the Nordiques were gone.

But again, just one move.

The 15 years before that suggested the Habs were very cognizant of the french/english dynamic. Even more so than today.

It's more along the lines of that the Habs, who already restrict their options in certain areas to only get French coaches/GM's, may be forced to further restrict themselves in a battle to become the "true French team" (we know a Quebec NHL team would slant that way in a hurry). Considering most of us are already against their policies when it comes to that, expanding them even further isn't ideal in my opinion.

Precisely.

And this is the only reason I don't want to see an expansion team in Que.

Would love the rivalry games, but stipulating our prospects/team build must be any percentage of French is just wrong... same as the coach thing.

Bahhhh, minor issue. Didn't Habs win twice during Quebec lifespan, you guys are worried about nothing.

Was there a better rivalry in NHL? Leafs were in the West so didn't see them as much and Bruins sucked for 25yrs.

Bahhhh, minor issue. Didn't Habs win twice during Quebec lifespan, you guys are worried about nothing.

Was there a better rivalry in NHL? Leafs were in the West so didn't see them as much and Bruins sucked for 25yrs.

:halm: Lol, you're probably right Don!

Bruins sucked for 25 years? Sure but that was the 40s-60s. I don't see how thats relevant to the time period when the Nordiques were around. The Bruins were a strong team in the 80s and early 90s; going to two cup finals, and beating us multiple times in the playoffs.

Bruins sucked for 25 years? Sure but that was the 40s-60s. I don't see how thats relevant to the time period when the Nordiques were around. The Bruins were a strong team in the 80s and early 90s; going to two cup finals, and beating us multiple times in the playoffs.

Don't remind me. Andy Moog was the bane of my existence.

Hated him as an oiler and a bruin.

Don't remind me. Andy Moog was the bane of my existence.