Six year deal for Shaw

Habinator33

Im not trying to compare players AT all, cause there simply is none, but it's certainly better value than Emelins 4.1 mill.

Like many I'm not particularly a fan of the contract but it could be worse. We don't have David Clarkson ;)

Like many I'm not particularly a fan of the contract but it could be worse. We don't have David Clarkson ;)

Probably good time to remind folks that if Montreal didn't get such good deals done for Pacioretty, Gallagher, and Price we would have zero dollars for Shaw and to pick up anyone on free agency.

We don't have a Clarkson anchor but in absence of that and with the deals we do have, we're not exactly maximizing our cap space on a superstar and instead on the Shaw's and Desharnais' of the hockey world. Our only anchor is Emelin and he at least becomes easier to trade in a week.

Shaw had the same amount of even strength points as Eller. He needs to be on the upswing. We can't afford him to do less than 30 points.

• Upvote 2

Really.

I guess Versteeg deserves what $6m?

Why $6M? Wouldn't he command around the same money as Shaw? How's his health, he's gotten hurt the past few seasons and missed some playing time. Plus he's 30 years old. This isn't the same comparison and you know it.

• Upvote 1

Emelin isn't as bad as most people say on this board, he actually had a pretty good year and is the only physical dman the habs have,

Pleks, DD are worse contracts IMO.

Hopefully Markov doesn't slow down anymore than last year or that would be another bad contract.

he best contracts they have are there best 4 players, Pcs, Price and the gally's.

Probably good time to remind folks that if Montreal didn't get such good deals done for Pacioretty, Gallagher, and Price we would have zero dollars for Shaw and to pick up anyone on free agency.

We don't have a Clarkson anchor but in absence of that and with the deals we do have, we're not exactly maximizing our cap space on a superstar and instead on the Shaw's and Desharnais' of the hockey world. Our only anchor is Emelin and he at least becomes easier to trade in a week.

Shaw had the same amount of even strength points as Eller. He needs to be on the upswing. We can't afford him to do less than 30 points.

How about the fact that Subban makes 9 friggin' million! That more than offsets Pacioretty making $4.5M. That's another reason why we have less cap space.

• Upvote 1

Subban is overpaid, but at least we're getting a very good player for that extra million or two or whatever. It's worth saving those extra millions from the middle of your lineup and putting them in the top of your lineup. Shaw next season is a more skilled Brandon Prust - but hey, that worked out, until it didn't... that's where the term is gonna look bad.

Emelin isn't as bad as most people say on this board, he actually had a pretty good year and is the only physical dman the habs have,

Pleks, DD are worse contracts IMO.

Hopefully Markov doesn't slow down anymore than last year or that would be another bad contract.

he best contracts they have are there best 4 players, Pcs, Price and the gally's.

Pleks contract is worse than Emelin.... thats insanity....

Good deal when you also consider one of those 2nd rounders was acquired with Danault for Weise & Fleish. Which were PTO and Weber bait. That's great asset management. There will be more addition by subtraction. Lets see what the roster looks like going into camp and not over analyze each step too harshly. This isn't a bad move because it wasn't DD or Emelin being moved. It in itself is a substantial step in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

Shaw is 24, character player, 2 rings, there is no formula to calculate how his 6 years will go, what if he is a Marchand II?

Potential is there, and this guy is a battle ready playoff performer, we didn't even have to pay for potential, he is already what the Habs need.

Bergevin knows the kid well, and believes in him, so therefor I do too, I certainly believe Bergevin's opinion more than, oh let's say anyone on this board.

I'd rather build my team around guys like this, than worry about getting in a bidding war over guys like Stamkos, you can't have 9 Stamkos' on your team, so why not build a team that is a complete team, without putting all your eggs in one basket, and then that basket gets wasted by one injury crippling your team?

Team sport, and great team building so far by Bergevin.

Guest Stogey24

This team isn't complete though, which is the problem with this deal. If we had a top 6 that was legit and scoring goals, then ya, add Shaw, but right now we don't have that.

Now we have sunk 4 million into a 30 point player(on a stacked team). That money should be focused on top 6 talent. After your resolve your biggest flaw, then you go out and add a character guy like Shaw.

I don't hate the signing, I just hate the fact we just basically paid a Dale Weise point producer 4 million dollars, when it should be going towards two solid top 6 guys.

Bergevin has a soft spot for depth guys and it's going to be his kryptonite.

Subban is overpaid, but at least we're getting a very good player for that extra million or two or whatever. It's worth saving those extra millions from the middle of your lineup and putting them in the top of your lineup. Shaw next season is a more skilled Brandon Prust - but hey, that worked out, until it didn't... that's where the term is gonna look bad.

Prust was 29 on the day we signed him.....

Shaw will be 30 on the day his contract ends.

But sure... thats the comparison..

This team isn't complete though, which is the problem with this deal. If we had a top 6 that was legit and scoring goals, then ya, add Shaw, but right now we don't have that.

Now we have sunk 4 million into a 30 point player(on a stacked team). That money should be focused on top 6 talent. After your resolve your biggest flaw, then you go out and add a character guy like Shaw.

I don't hate the signing, I just hate the fact we just basically paid a Dale Weise point producer 4 million dollars, when it should be going towards two solid top 6 guys.

Bergevin has a soft spot for depth guys and it's going to be his kryptonite.

The team isn't complete 4 days before the offseason has even started!

Prust was 29 on the day we signed him.....

Shaw will be 30 on the day his contract ends.

But sure... thats the comparison..

The team isn't complete 4 days before the offseason has even started!

Excuses excuses.

And now we have less cap space to make it complete instead of more.

Idiot Bergevin, he only made two trades so far, but I agree "the sky is falling".

• Upvote 1

And now we have less cap space to make it complete instead of more.

Montreal still has ~$8 million in cap space to find a winger. Possibly more if Bergevin finds a trade partner. He has two 2nd round picks in 2017 and three 2nd round picks in 2018 to use to help ship out a bad contract

Guest Stogey24

we used 400K in cap space in changing Eller into a player who can actually play wing on our top 6... a spot where Eller was micast all year.

Ya man. Those 8 points in offensive numbers are huge.

Montreal still has ~$8 million in cap space to find a winger. Possibly more if Bergevin finds a trade partner. He has two 2nd round picks in 2017 and three 2nd round picks in 2018 to use to help ship out a bad contract

Gotta sign Carr

Gotta sign Danault

Team always leaves some cap space breathing room

Idiot Bergevin, he only made two trades so far, but I agree "the sky is falling".

I don't know if the sky is falling but I just don't see this as the best possible moves to make. I'm also afraid that Bergevin is just turning the Habs into his country club of friends and former Blackhawks. If we sign Ladd that'll confirm it.

I see Commandant's point on Shaw being a #6 forward but why did we make acquiring a #6 forward our first priority? Why didn't we wait to see how the market would be? Guys like Joe Colbourne and Devante Smith-Pelly are now ufa because teams are skipping on qualifying offers. Why sign Shaw at this price before knowing what you want on free agency? He's an RFA. We could have made him sweat and got a better deal.

I used to have confidence in Bergevin. Now I just see so many errors in every decision.

• Upvote 1

Pleks contract is 6 mill starting July 1st, for a 50 point center who doesn't show up when the going gets tough, especially playoff time. That's a bad contract in my books, not insanity. He still has 3 more years.

Pleks contract is 6 mill starting July 1st, for a 50 point center who doesn't show up when the going gets tough, especially playoff time. That's a bad contract in my books, not insanity. He still has 3 more years.

If Plekanec stumbles we can leave him available in the expansion draft.

I used to have confidence in Bergevin. Now I just see so many errors in every decision.

Just your opinion though, not a bona fide error, or an error at all until it becomes an error, your opinion that Bergevin is wrong may be an error ;)

Everything is a crap shoot, but for me, the bottom line is Shaw is absolutely an upgrade on Eller, none of us really can argue that. Shaw had 6 pts, 4 goals in Chicago series, that says a lot for a 24 yr old.

Commandant made 2 points, which are really the best posts in this thread...

Eller out-Shaw in, for .4 mil. Problem? Nope.

Now we are ready to focus on UFA's, WHICH HASN'T STARTED YET.

Ya man. Those 8 points in offensive numbers are huge.

We complain he makes no trades than when he does..."OH, he paid way too much!!!" Fickle crowd. :crazy: