Six year deal for Shaw

Habinator33

I don't know if the sky is falling but I just don't see this as the best possible moves to make. I'm also afraid that Bergevin is just turning the Habs into his country club of friends and former Blackhawks. If we sign Ladd that'll confirm it.

I see Commandant's point on Shaw being a #6 forward but why did we make acquiring a #6 forward our first priority? Why didn't we wait to see how the market would be? Guys like Joe Colbourne and Devante Smith-Pelly are now ufa because teams are skipping on qualifying offers. Why sign Shaw at this price before knowing what you want on free agency? He's an RFAWe could have made him sweat and got a better deal.

I used to have confidence in Bergevin. Now I just see so many errors in every decision.

And how in the hell would you know that? Your imagining things and then complaining about them as if there are real?

Your imagining things and then complaining about them as if there are real?

My ol' lady does that once a month for 3 days :crazy:

And how in the hell would you know that? Your imagining things and then complaining about them as if there are real?

Bottom six Restricted free agent we spent a lot to acquire. If someone offer sheets him we can turn two seconds into a first. If nobody does he's sitting all summer without a contract looking at the Canadiens pack their cap with new free agents. There will be pressure to sign for less than expected.

Bergevin immediately signed him to a six year deal worth $3.9 million a season. That's a Benning move.

Bottom six Restricted free agent we spent a lot to acquire. If someone offer sheets him we can turn two seconds into a first. If nobody does he's sitting all summer without a contract looking at the Canadiens pack their cap with new free agents. There will be pressure to sign for less than expected.

If there was no deal between now and late next week, he'd have filed for arbitration. He wouldn't have sat the summer without a contract.

Don't see him getting more than what he got in arbitration.

For sure he wouldn't have got $3.9M but he still would have been somewhat pricey. His QO was $2.5M and coming off a 34 point season, there's a strong case he'd have got around $3M in arbitration (while putting the Habs in a situation of him being just one year away from UFA next summer which would give him more leverage moving forward).

The difference between a potential arbitration settlement and the AAV here is around a million, probably a bit lower even. That shouldn't drastically affect their spending plan for the summer. It hurts it a bit by going long-term vs short-term but they still have a decent chunk of change to work with in free agency.

Prust was 29 on the day we signed him.....

Shaw will be 30 on the day his contract ends.

But sure... thats the comparison..

He's a guy we overpaid for his intangibles. We're hoping his experience and grit bring a jolt to the locker room. I'd say he's filling the Prust role that's been sorely vacant. Sure, he's younger and can put up more points, but he's also much more overpaid.

IMH(ish)O:

The points Shaw should produce over the course of the next few season will be points fans will cheer for 'harder' for then the points Sars would have put up.

The price... 2 picks that (just) get moved next year and year after, seems to me we won that\those trade(s).

The money... 400k over Eller; for a guy that should bring more to the rink on a daily... sounds mheh!

And to all the ppl that are freaking out about where on the pay chart Shaw is... Ya'll need to stop fretting when the time will be due all players with an capable agent will get their raise and ya'll can go back to saying how ridiculous they pay is.

dlbalr, ehjay, and DON seem to me to be on the side of reason on this. It's not a great deal but neither is it self-evidently a franchise-breaking catastrophe. 'Meh' is my response. Can we at least see what Shaw does before playing Chicken Little?

Commandant, you've said repeatedly that Bergevin sees Shaw as a top-6 FW. By contrast, the Negative Nellies here see him as Prust 2.0 (and I suspect they're forgetting how excellent Prust was in year one of his deal - by 'Prust' they have in mind the declining guy we dumped). Do you agree with Bergevin that Shaw is a viable option for a #6 FW? Can we realistically expect, say, 40 points from this guy and a lot of net-crashing, greasy-goal effectiveness?

• Upvote 1

dlbalr, ehjay, and DON seem to me to be on the side of reason on this. It's not a great deal but neither is it self-evidently a franchise-breaking catastrophe. 'Meh' is my response. Can we at least see what Shaw does before playing Chicken Little?

Commandant, you've said repeatedly that Bergevin sees Shaw as a top-6 FW. By contrast, the Negative Nellies here see him as Prust 2.0 (and I suspect they're forgetting how excellent Prust was in year one of his deal - by 'Prust' they have in mind the declining guy we dumped). Do you agree with Bergevin that Shaw is a viable option for a #6 FW? Can we realistically expect, say, 40 points from this guy and a lot of net-crashing, greasy-goal effectiveness?

Preach brother!!!

If the AAV was 3.6 everyone would be really happy with the deal so i don't think that 300K takes it from good to terrible. He is better than Prust and Prust got 2.5 four years ago. Age 24-30 should be some of the best of his career.

I agree with Machine that we bought high on Shaw, like we did with Eller before him. And Pleks during his early season tear. And Emelin when he hadn't proven squat. At best Shaw lives up to this contract.

Can we expect top 6 production out of him? He hasn't cracked 40 points on a much more skilled Chicago team, but he's entering his prime and he'll likely get more minutes with us. So maybe we'll see decent numbers, but hardly much of an answer to our scoring woes.

His outburst and suspension in the playoffs give me pause about his reliability. Agitators are notoriously mercurial. But he's good when he's on his game and makes us a tougher playoff team for sure. Gallagher won't be the only guy getting in the dirty areas.

He's a guy we overpaid for his intangibles. We're hoping his experience and grit bring a jolt to the locker room. I'd say he's filling the Prust role that's been sorely vacant. Sure, he's younger and can put up more points, but he's also much more overpaid.

Hes a better hockey player than Prust ever was. He can legit play in the top 6.

Yes, he can be a #6 with 35-40 points. He needs to have offensive talent around him. Shaw - Plekanec - Whatwehaveontherosternow isn't going to do it. Another player must be acquired.

Is he a top 6? well 35+ points is the number 6 forward on most teams in the NHL today. Scoring is way down. Thats just the way it is.

How will they utilize him?

He could be on Plekanec's line, as i suggested above.

Or he could be the defensive conscience on DD's line (and then used on the second PP unit as well); while one of the rookie group (Carr, Sven, Hudon, Reway, Lehkonen, Scherbak), goes on Plekanec's line; and Pleks babysits the kid, as he's so good defensively. I suspect it will be the latter as I don't think Therrien will want DD and a rookie with defensive issues together on a line.

ie

Carr/Lehkonen/etc - Plekanec - Eriksson/Ladd/Okposo/etc...

Danault - DD - Shaw

The key here remains signing a UFA (or making a trade) to find a guy who is better than a #6

Contract breakdown:

16-17: $5.5M (includes $2.5M signing bonus)

17-18: $5M (includes $2M signing bonus)

18-19: $4M

19-20: $3.25M (includes $1M signing bonus)

20-21: $2.75M

21-22: $2.9M (includes $1M signing bonus)

You can't say the Habs aren't open to front loading contracts, they've done a few of these lately.

Ya know I did not like the trade, 2 2nds was too much. I am not going to get too upset over the contract. I thought it should be 3 to 3.5 but it is 3.9 without any fancy pants clauses OK let's live with that. Will Le Genius play him? cause that is the question. Now when is this forking sniper showing up?

When does the buyout period end? June.30?

Players have to be waived by noon EST on the 30th. That's the regular buyout window. There is a second buyout window that will open up for some teams due to arbitration filings. As the Habs don't have any arbitration-eligible players, that won't apply to them though.

Thanks. I guess no real need for a buyout on this team. Emelin should be movable

Someone posted a buyout for Desharnais which seemed reasonable (other than Habs wouldn't even consider it) and I hope Emelin picks some teams for his trade list that actually are a fit for him. :wavetowel:

I'd rather see the Habs retain some salary on Desharnais in a trade than buy him out. Why pay for a guy that's not with your team for two straight years?

I'd rather see the Habs retain some salary on Desharnais in a trade than buy him out. Why pay for a guy that's not with your team for two straight years?

It depends on how much they need the money now. If they need as much as possible, a buyout cap charge for this year is $1.167M. If they retain at 50%, that's a charge of $1.75M, about $600k more. What else is planned and how much money do they need to get it done?

Personally, I agree with you, if they can find a taker at half price or so, I'd rather that than the buyout route. I'd have went that way with Parenteau too last year but either they didn't try or they couldn't find a taker even at 50%.