I'll be reconsidering my fandom. And you?

Thrilled that the great Cube is in the organization. He's big on Weber and surprised he was available. A lot of respect for PK as well. I loved PK. Win, lose, mistakes or glory, I just love this guy with the big generous heart and love of playing hockey. I don't know why he was traded and hope it works out for the team, but even if it does, I still valued PK to much to trade him for something passing.. like a cup. As for fanship. What's to reconsider.. I'm a Habs fan. Could not be anything else as I'm too smart, too Montreal, too much a romantic and too faithful. Like all of youse guys .

• Upvote 1

Exactly, you get to see Weber in Team Canada jersey, as chosen by a committee of top G.M.s and coaches around the league. Where is P.K. on the list, I don't see his name?

While the event is held in Ontario hometown boy will be practicing in Nashville. I really think that says it all about the deal.

Best comparison to me is Subban = Guy LaPointe in size and style. Weber = Larry Robinson in size and style. Robinson was a couple years younger than Guy, but played about 10 years longer in the NHL. Shea Weber is better now than P.K., and that won't change for as long as both are in the league.

Edited by ethan raphael

Best comparison to me is Subban = Guy LaPointe in size and style. Weber = Larry Robinson in size and style. Robinson was a couple years younger than Guy, but played about 10 years longer in the NHL. Shea Weber is better now than P.K., and that won't change for as long as both are in the league.

I don't think this is a good comparable at all. First, Robinson playerd for 20 yrs; lapointe, 17. Secondly, lapointe was known as a hard checker whereas Robinson wasn't as physical unless someone made the mistake of really pissing him off. Nice try

Did you actually see Robinson play??? Robinson actually would lead the rush. Weber rarely does.

• Upvote 1

not even close, go look at big bird's stats and then come back and say you are sorry.

Did you actually see Robinson play??? Robinson actually would lead the rush. Weber rarely does.

I still see that Robinson goal in my head that would be replayed over and over as part of the HNIC theme. Huge rush and goal!

Exactly, you get to see Weber in Team Canada jersey, as chosen by a committee of top G.M.s and coaches around the league. Where is P.K. on the list, I don't see his name?

While the event is held in Ontario hometown boy will be practicing in Nashville. I really think that says it all about the deal.

I don't get it :huh:

What does selection to and spectating a national squad have to do with each other then: one can be done somewhere you have a tv?

Where are you on the list of ppl who say PK is not serious about Hockey? He is training where his new home is NOW, wtf has he settles in before the trade?!? :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I agree with the OP. I don't know how the people here feel after some time to cool off, but I'm likely going to be a bandwagon fan going forward, watching the closely through media, radio and on here, but it's going to take time to get reinvested to the team. I started watching hockey again on a nightly or at least a few games a week back in 2010 when I got out of the restaurant business and could see the games again.

The teams with Subban and Price really reignited my passion for the team; sure, I would tune into Bruins-Canadiens or the playoffs, but I was never a boxscore checker until those guys came on the scene. This team more closely resembles the Carbo teams. They even have Kirk Muller back.

Having the Panthers down here is the kicker. There's a team that's just all about fun. There's no provincial baggage and a team of young stars and a coach that lets them play.

Will I tune in for the first week of free previews on Centre Ice? Sure. I just doubt I'll be spending 150$ to watch Shea and the Slapshots.

I've been a Habs fan my entire life. Given my age, that hasn't been easy. They've only won one Cup that I was old enough to remember and even then I was so young I thought it would be cool for Gretzky to bring a Cup to a newer team that hadn't won before. I've stuck with them through a lot of bad years with only an occasional contender popping up. I've never given a second thought to giving up on them. Even with the Roy team, I mostly blamed the player and backed my team. But this... this is different.

Usually when people ask me my favorite player, I say Brendan Gallagher. I'm used to rooting for the underdog, the small guys who play with heart. I rarely go for the team superstar. As rumors started to swirl, however, I found myself dreading every ESPN alert I got, fearing that Subban would be traded. I knew I loved him as a player and respected him as a person, but I hadn't really realized how important he was to me. When the trade was announced, I was crushed. I took down my framed Habs goalie mask poster at home. I took down my Habs pennant and put away my Habs mouse pad at work. I just couldn't show support for a management with whom I disagree so vehemently. I certainly have no intention of getting NHLTV this season.

That's not to say I'm giving up on the team completely. I will still follow them and watch if they make the playoffs. I'm just not going to live and die by their performance. I'm not going to spend money on them. As long as this front office and coaching staff is in tact, however, I can't see myself going back to being a super-fan. It's so rare to have such a talented player who dreamed of playing for the team and does so much for the community. The fact that this coaching staff never fully embraced his talents is disgusting. To run a man like Subban out of town is just wrong.

• Upvote 3

I've been a Habs fan my entire life. Given my age, that hasn't been easy. They've only won one Cup that I was old enough to remember and even then I was so young I thought it would be cool for Gretzky to bring a Cup to a newer team that hadn't won before. I've stuck with them through a lot of bad years with only an occasional contender popping up. I've never given a second thought to giving up on them. Even with the Roy team, I mostly blamed the player and backed my team. But this... this is different.

Usually when people ask me my favorite player, I say Brendan Gallagher. I'm used to rooting for the underdog, the small guys who play with heart. I rarely go for the team superstar. As rumors started to swirl, however, I found myself dreading every ESPN alert I got, fearing that Subban would be traded. I knew I loved him as a player and respected him as a person, but I hadn't really realized how important he was to me. When the trade was announced, I was crushed. I took down my framed Habs goalie mask poster at home. I took down my Habs pennant and put away my Habs mouse pad at work. I just couldn't show support for a management with whom I disagree so vehemently. I certainly have no intention of getting NHLTV this season.

That's not to say I'm giving up on the team completely. I will still follow them and watch if they make the playoffs. I'm just not going to live and die by their performance. I'm not going to spend money on them. As long as this front office and coaching staff is in tact, however, I can't see myself going back to being a super-fan. It's so rare to have such a talented player who dreamed of playing for the team and does so much for the community. The fact that this coaching staff never fully embraced his talents is disgusting. To run a man like Subban out of town is just wrong.

:thumbs_up:

That's a very succint, cogent post that sums up how many of us feel about this team.

I told my girlfriend no Habs gear for my birthday, and I won't be adding Centre Ice to the cable package. Outside of a morbid curiosity, I'm not marking the calendar for the Sunrise game. I'll go to one but won't wear a hat or jersey.

For this team to really win me back, they have to wow me at the start of the year. 14-5-1 or something along those lines. Or else it'll be national games, TSN radio, playoffs and Habsworld.

As viscous as I am about this trade, I am a Habs fan. I am going to cheer my heart out and secretly hope that there is more to the trade. Im going to cheer for Weber and support him. It isnt his fault he was traded. With the exception of some second line depth and maybe a top 4 depth guy, I think the habs are a very good team. A breakout season by one of Hudon, Beaulieu, Ghetto (doubt it) and you got a contender. One thing that really concerns me is that the two best players at skating the puck out of the d zone (Subban and Eller ) are gone. I think its time to move on for me.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking forward to the Habs coming to SoCal next season. Going to attend both the Anaheim and LA games which I'm sure will be a lot better than last season.

I will cheer for the team, I just won't be handing over the money as willingly as I have in the past.

It's a tough one for me. I'm not saying we should be naive and take the management team at their word. But what if something does come out in a few years that paints a clearer picture of why this trade needed to be done?

It makes just a little too much sense to me. I don't think Weber is the worst return in the world but if you have the vast majority of fans reacting the way they have, then one could say that the consensus is that the Habs lost the trade. If it's really that obvious though, then it wouldn't surprise me if MB's hand was forced for whatever reason and as time was running out, he took the best he could. Not sure why we couldn't have been in on the Hall sweepstakes though.

With that seed of possibility in place, it seems a bit silly to punish oneself from cheering for the team. People often ask me why I enjoy watching tennis. The answer is because I enjoy following the careers of specific players. The same can be said for myself and the Habs. Regardless of the man behind the bench or the press box, I can't help but love our players. All they've done is wear our jersey.

I guess I'm apparently like a Leafs fan but some others appear to be lifelong band wagoners on the other end of the extreme. At least that's what it comes off as if you really would consider dropping the Habs that easily.

To those skipping out on games or habs gear, I don't mean to come off rude, but the only one who will notice the difference is you.

• Upvote 1

I won't be missing out on anything. The reality is I know I won't enjoy it knowing i'm giving my money to support an organization i don't agree with the vision of.

I'll spend my money enjoying something different.

Ya. I'm with you on the spending. I will watch but all my team gear will be blue jays this year. No habs stuff. Financial sanctions sounds like a good punishment for how violated I feel.

In other clearly bad trades - chelios, Turgeon, Carboneau, even Roy (who had apologized and would have publically apologized - were the Habs forced to trade them? Did we find out that mgmt was brilliant for trading them for reasons we didn't know about??? This is mgmt trying to scapegoat subban for a season that was largely their own doing.

As far as supporting. I support the CH, but why should I contribute my money to make molson's by purchasing licensed merchandise or tickets, or the league by buying the NHL channel again? Don't care if it makes a difference to anyone else.

It's a tough one for me. I'm not saying we should be naive and take the management team at their word. But what if something does come out in a few years that paints a clearer picture of why this trade needed to be done?

It makes just a little too much sense to me. I don't think Weber is the worst return in the world but if you have the vast majority of fans reacting the way they have, then one could say that the consensus is that the Habs lost the trade. If it's really that obvious though, then it wouldn't surprise me if MB's hand was forced for whatever reason and as time was running out, he took the best he could. Not sure why we couldn't have been in on the Hall sweepstakes though.

With that seed of possibility in place, it seems a bit silly to punish oneself from cheering for the team. People often ask me why I enjoy watching tennis. The answer is because I enjoy following the careers of specific players. The same can be said for myself and the Habs. Regardless of the man behind the bench or the press box, I can't help but love our players. All they've done is wear our jersey.

I guess I'm apparently like a Leafs fan but some others appear to be lifelong band wagoners on the other end of the extreme. At least that's what it comes off as if you really would consider dropping the Habs that easily.

To those skipping out on games or habs gear, I don't mean to come off rude, but the only one who will notice the difference is you.

I am a Habs fan 1st and for always. Players coaches and gms come and go but the Habs will always be here

Ditto with ownership. I miss the American!

I'm looking forward to the Habs coming to SoCal next season. Going to attend both the Anaheim and LA games which I'm sure will be a lot better than last season.

Don't we think that every year and yet it seems they struggle out there each and every season? At least the trip is much earlier this time around, maybe that will help.

I'm more than happy to be considered a bandwagon fan, because at the end of the day all I get out of hockey is entertainment. If it's not entertaining or I'm diametrically opposed to what management is doing, I'm just wasting my time.

Don't we think that every year and yet it seems they struggle out there each and every season? At least the trip is much earlier this time around, maybe that will help.

At least it's not the Florida trip too with this iteration. The only thing they could snatch away from defeat was a purse by Ryan O'Byrne.

I'm hardly a bandwagon fan. I've followed the team for 40 years. This is actually the first time that I feel betrayed by the management. I had enormous respect for Savard if not Corey. Houle, meanwhile, was doing his best, he was just a hapless fool. No one ever doubted Gainey's integrity or his desire to win. Gauthier wasn't around long enough, and besides was so obviously out of control that the whole thing was a borderline joke. But this management group, in the one truly big move its made since taking over, demonstrated decisively that it prioritizes its petty egos and old-school bullsh*t over winning. How I'm supposed to just resume my old enthusiasm and faith in the organization after that is quite beyond me. Doesn't mean I won't ever watch, just that I no longer believe in this era of the Habs (unless Price can work a miracle). Like everyone else, what's gone for me is the joy and enthusiasm that I felt for much of the Subban era. I suspect it'll take the removal of Bergevin and his cronies to rekindle the old intensity.