Habs PTO

PMAC

With Prust getting a PTO with Toronto and Torres! getting a PTO with Carolina, the tryout season is upon us. Do you see any likely PTO candidates for Montreal this year?

The Habs have brought guys in on tryouts the last couple of years that have yielded contracts in Fleischmann (who worked out reasonably well all things considered) and Drayson Bowman (yeah, that one didn't go so well).

I could see Tanguay being offered one as a hedge in case the youngsters struggle in camp. Crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see a defenceman get one since they'll be missing three of their top six for a big chunk of the preseason. There are veteran minimum standards to meet for all exhibition games so there will be a lot of PTO's this year.

Guest Stogey24

he was the leading scorer on the team when he got injured (the first time).

How did he "not handle the pressure"?

Before he got traded to Montreal he said he didn't want to be put in the spot light, being a French Canadian.

Then he wouldn't resign with the team.There were a bunch of rumours about him not being happy in Montreal.

I used to love Tanguay. I wouldn't hate seeing him back, I just highly doubt it

Before he got traded to Montreal he said he didn't want to be put in the spot light, being a French Canadian.

Then he wouldn't resign with the team.There were a bunch of rumours about him not being happy in Montreal.

I used to love Tanguay. I wouldn't hate seeing him back, I just highly doubt it

How much does he want to keep playing? If all he gets are a couple of PTO offers, he can't really be too picky at this stage of the game.

I could also see them kicking the tires on someone like Gabriel Bourque, someone that has played bottom six the last few years but is still young enough where someone might think there's still a bit of upside remaining. Justin Fontaine's a bit older but could fit that tertiary scorer type of role if they want to add more competition for that 2nd/3rd line winger spot.

Guest Stogey24

I won't keep playing the size card, but both are undersized. Two low key players though, that I never would have thought of.

Fontaine has the potential to put his game together. Bourque is probably a little less likely to do so.

As much shit as Raffi has done in his career, along with injury trouble. I wouldn't mind a guy with his style getting a PTO.

Guest Stogey24

I know, but I was saying someone with Torres' style of play. Mucker who can bury. I don't think there's much left out there though.

Guest Stogey24

Yup, Shaw is great at what he does.

I wouldn't mind Steve Downie on a PTO at all. He'd probably put up more points than Byron, given the same role.

Byron? He had almost as many goals as Pleks,, DD and the other bunch of 3rd and 4th liners with half the ice time and if my memory serves me he didn't even play the first 20 games or so as a healthy scratch. With no PP time.

Byron isn't a problem, great 4th liner, speed, 10 plus goals kills penalties.

Yup, Shaw is great at what he does.

I wouldn't mind Steve Downie on a PTO at all. He'd probably put up more points than Byron, given the same role.

I remember reading that the Habs had the choice of Downie or Scott back in the Tinordi trade with Arizona and opted for Scott. Now part of that was likely due to the fact that Downie cost about a million more but that's still a sign to me that they don't think too highly of him.

I remember reading that the Habs had the choice of Downie or Scott back in the Tinordi trade with Arizona and opted for Scott. Now part of that was likely due to the fact that Downie cost about a million more but that's still a sign to me that they don't think too highly of him.

Picking an all star over Downie is a no-brainer

Byron? He had almost as many goals as Pleks,, DD and the other bunch of 3rd and 4th liners with half the ice time and if my memory serves me he didn't even play the first 20 games or so as a healthy scratch. With no PP time.

Byron isn't a problem, great 4th liner, speed, 10 plus goals kills penalties.

I liked Byron a lot. He got blamed for something that wasn't his fault, which was the coach using him in the top six. He's a solid bottom six guy who is best suited for teams to forget that kind of speed is on the Habs fourth line. He's the kind of guy who could score a big playoff goal down the road.

I liked Byron a lot. He got blamed for something that wasn't his fault, which was the coach using him in the top six. He's a solid bottom six guy who is best suited for teams to forget that kind of speed is on the Habs fourth line. He's the kind of guy who could score a big playoff goal down the road.

Shorthanded OT goal! :)

I may be grasping at straws but I wouldn't mind giving a PTO to someone like Tanguay. I'm not saying he's the answer but he could be and we're still missing someone up front. The more I hear about him, I'm hoping Lehkonen could be a nice surprise in preseason.

With the Habs picking up Redmond for two years they really nipped the bud on any PTO ideas I had.

There ain't much for potential PTOs out there that I could see making an impact. I think guys like Umberger, Nikitin, Quincey, Seidenberg, and Russell are all looking for contracts and not PTOs. I guess I'd consider Justin Fontaine if I was an NHL GM. Don't care for him as a person (he has an issue with gay slurs like Shaw does) and his 15-16 season was weak but if his knee heals there's a third line RW inside of him good for 30 points.

I could also see them kicking the tires on someone like Gabriel Bourque, someone that has played bottom six the last few years but is still young enough where someone might think there's still a bit of upside remaining.

You can scratch Gabriel Bourque off your list as he signed a PTO with the Avs tonight. Guess they really want a Bourque on their team as they gave Rene a PTO last week. It worked out for them the last time they tried it when they picked up Ray Bourque and won the cup.

You can scratch Gabriel Bourque off your list as he signed a PTO with the Avs tonight. Guess they really want a Bourque on their team as they gave Rene a PTO last week. It worked out for them the last time they tried it when they picked up Ray Bourque and won the cup.

:nuts:

Kris Versteeg is a free agent again after his deal in Switzerland fell through, he might be an interesting PTO candidate. Tanguay hasn't received any interest from the Habs yet but did express an interest in signing with them back in July.