2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

You have to hand it to Patches, praising Danault to the skies, saying he loves playing on his line, etc.  He did the same thing with Weise and, of course most famously, with DD.  If I'm one of those guys, I really appreciate that.

Interesting that he remarked that this team is a lot closer to the one that he came up on - the Kovalev team. I'd love to read an insiders account of the Kovalev/Koivu/Gainey years...all those larger than life characters, leading up to such a disastrous end point.

As for today, we're at one of those points where it's all peaches and cream and everyone loves each other :lol: A few losses oughtta take care of that.;)

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You have to hand it to Patches, praising Danault to the skies, saying he loves playing on his line, etc.  He did the same thing with Weise and, of course most famously, with DD.  If I'm one of those guys, I really appreciate that.

Interesting that he remarked that this team is a lot closer to the one that he came up on - the Kovalev team. I'd love to read an insiders account of the Kovalev/Koivu/Gainey years...all those larger than life characters, leading up to such a disastrous end point.

As for today, we're at one of those points where it's all peaches and cream and everyone loves each other :lol: A few losses oughtta take care of that.;)

Well Montreal did go through a losing phase in Nov/Dec, playing under .500 hockey for more than 10 games (4-5-2). We had trouble scoring even twice in these games. 

Yet from what we could see the team remained solid, the guys regrouped, I haven't heard anyone complain about the coach or their role, and we are still competing through a couple key injuries.  

Well, I was speaking half in jest. Really, it's fan attitudes that change dramatically from week to week. A few games ago Patches was a bum. Now he's a stud. Etc.

Very underrated in all of this is Therrien. This guy managed to survive the debacle of 2016 and even after all these years, and all the ups and downs, still somehow has his charges buying in. He's a survivor.

On 2016-12-22 at 9:31 PM, JoeLassister said:

The Blue Jackets are insane !!!

I don't think even the most optimistic of Columbus fans expected them to be first overall at the Christmas break.  Even more impressive, they've done so while playing 32 games, tied for the lowest in the league.

Just now, Commandant said:

They look like the Panthers of last season, who had a long winning streak around the same time of year.  I think they are over achieving.... They are a good team, but not this good. 

I agree. Guys in my pool are waiving solid mid tier playes to jump on the cbj streak  I will happily pick them up. 

There was a neat story out of Carolina last night.  Eddie Lack was sick and couldn't dress so they 'signed' their equipment manager, who had a few ECHL games under his belt from a decade ago, to be the emergency backup.  With them trailing 3-1 with 7.6 seconds left, they put him in the game.  (They kept him busy during the rest of the game too as he was sharpening skates during the intermission with his pads on while taping sticks up at times as well.)

50 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Burmistrov on waivers today. Do Habs bite for the centre depth?

There's a connection with Rick Dudley being the one who drafted him but he's a bit expensive ($1.55 million cap hit) for the very little he brings to the table.  I'd let him clear and then try to either get them to retain a bit or take some sort of contract in return.  The Habs have very little cap space to work with (they have LTIR but that's a short-term proposition; I'm talking season-long cap space which is what the true number will be when everyone is healthy) - I'm not sure a potential fringe bottom six upgrade is what they should spend it on.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There was a neat story out of Carolina last night.  Eddie Lack was sick and couldn't dress so they 'signed' their equipment manager, who had a few ECHL games under his belt from a decade ago, to be the emergency backup.  With them trailing 3-1 with 7.6 seconds left, they put him in the game.  (They kept him busy during the rest of the game too as he was sharpening skates during the intermission with his pads on while taping sticks up at times as well.)

That is a hell of a story, what a nice thing to do, he probably got a big kick out of playing even for 8 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see Sedin get his 1,000pt and classy of Luongo, after just giving up goal to Sedin deak, to immediately come out and congratulate, or more likely gave him some witty backhanded compliment. :thumbs_up:

• Upvote 1

Lehkonen fitting in nicely.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-notebook-alex-galchenyuk-still-not-practising-with-knee-injury

How hard will Weber shoot on Saturday, is one of few things am curious about that show.

"Weber has won the competition the past two years, at 108.5 mph in 2015 and 108.1 mph a year ago, the second- and third-hardest shots recorded in the competition after the 108.8 mph of Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara in 2012."

On January 25, 2017 at 6:41 PM, DON said:

Lehkonen fitting in nicely.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-notebook-alex-galchenyuk-still-not-practising-with-knee-injury

How hard will Weber shoot on Saturday, is one of few things am curious about that show.

"Weber has won the competition the past two years, at 108.5 mph in 2015 and 108.1 mph a year ago, the second- and third-hardest shots recorded in the competition after the 108.8 mph of Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara in 2012."

Thanks for getting me somewhat excited. I won't be at the game this weekend but I'll be attending the Skills Competition tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What were the highlights from All-Star weekend? 

1) Weber won the hardest shot contest.

2) It's over.

Am I missing any?

Atlantic lost in the first game, so Price only had to play once... for ten minutes. 

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

2) It's over.

Am I missing any?

Good break for most of Habs.

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

2) It's over.

Am I missing any?

Price's newborn is really cute.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic