2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

26 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Considering Toews tweet when the deal was made last year, I would venture a guess that he isn't all that happy with having to face Subban - he seemed to score a lot more against Weber

Toews was giving love to his Team Canada buddy. He's also a hockey traditionalist, and hockey traditionalists have never quite respected shadowing compared to just crushing a guy along the boards. Weber in his mind was tougher to play against because he felt it. Subban he probably doesn't understand and just blames himself for not being able to break out against him.

55 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Toews was giving love to his Team Canada buddy. He's also a hockey traditionalist, and hockey traditionalists have never quite respected shadowing compared to just crushing a guy along the boards. Weber in his mind was tougher to play against because he felt it. Subban he probably doesn't understand and just blames himself for not being able to break out against him.

Looked like he felt it when Subban slew footed him on to his tailbone last night. 

• Upvote 2

Dan Bylsma and Tim Murray are out in Buffalo. A bit surprising but there was a report out there that Eichel was unhappy with the coaching and would not re-sign with the team if Bylsma remained in his position. This report was denied by Eichel's agent.

1 hour ago, Habsfan84 said:

Dan Bylsma and Tim Murray are out in Buffalo. A bit surprising but there was a report out there that Eichel was unhappy with the coaching and would not re-sign with the team if Bylsma remained in his position. This report was denied by Eichel's agent.

I'm putting a quarter on Pierre McGuire finally getting an undeserved GM job.

Hey now that would be entertaining. We could watch the idiot screw them up even more.

I figured Bylsma was gone but a little surprised that Murray was fired as well. I did not think he did bad a job. He has provided them with a solid base.

12 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Hey now that would be entertaining. We could watch the idiot screw them up even more.

I figured Bylsma was gone but a little surprised that Murray was fired as well. I did not think he did bad a job. He has provided them with a solid base.

Gave up to much for lehner, when there were much better options available.  Only solid move was the O'Reilly trade.

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Gave up to much for lehner, when there were much better options available.  Only solid move was the O'Reilly trade.

Well I think there was more to it than that. Kane has mostly worked out. Eichel will be Captain and lead the team. They asked him to blow the team up and fire him after what is in essence is 2 years. I did not agree with the Nolan firing for much the same reason. They wanted him to tank so he does and they fire him cause the team finished last?

4 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Well I think there was more to it than that. Kane has mostly worked out. Eichel will be Captain and lead the team. They asked him to blow the team up and fire him after what is in essence is 2 years. I did not agree with the Nolan firing for much the same reason. They wanted him to tank so he does and they fire him cause the team finished last?

I hated the Nolan firing.

Eichal fell into his lap, and  Do you remember his very public reaction and comments when he lost the McDavid lottery and got Eichal.  He had to damage control and smooth things over with Eichal.

He also hired the wrong coach and gave him ridiculous term and money.

the sabres would have been much better off having lafontaine and Nolan.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hated the Nolan firing.

Eichal fell into his lap, and  Do you remember his very public reaction and comments when he lost the McDavid lottery and got Eichal.  He had to damage control and smooth things over with Eichal.

He also hired the wrong coach and gave him ridiculous term and money.

the sabres would have been much better off having lafontaine and Nolan.

Yep got to agree with that.

Buffalo looks to me like a basket case, on account of meddlesome and inept ownership - much like Florida. Which suits me just fine; the more teams self-immolate in our Conference, the better.

James Duthie was on the radio making what I thought was an excellent point about rebuilding. He noted that everyone talks about 'rebuilds' as taking three years, then you're a contender. But more often than not, it doesn't work, and what you really get is years of mediocrity followed by another rebuild. TO got lucky, and the 'tankers' fail to realize that. Buffalo may prove a decent example of that dynamic.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

James Duthie was on the radio making what I thought was an excellent point about rebuilding. He noted that everyone talks about 'rebuilds' as taking three years, then you're a contender. But more often than not, it doesn't work, and what you really get is years of mediocrity followed by another rebuild. TO got lucky, and the 'tankers' fail to realize that. Buffalo may prove a decent example of that dynamic.

Toronto has been a non-playoff team since 05-06, with exception to 2013. Toronto didn't necessarily get lucky. Toronto has yet to finish better than third in their division since the 2005 lockout. Their rebuild actually started in 2012 with a delay in 2013.

It might not be bottoming out for first overall but Toronto drafted (and could have drafted)

2005: Tuuka Rask 21st overall (traded him)

2006: Jiri Tlusty 13th overall (bad draft, best they could likely have asked for)

2007: No first OR second rounder so they could get Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell. San Jose's pick went to St. Louis and they took Lars Eller. 

2008: Luke Schenn at 5th overall

2009: Nazem Kadri at 7th overall (still on the team)

2010: Could have been Tyler Seguin but they traded for Kessel

2011: Could have been Dougie Hamilton but they traded for Kessel. Still drafted Tyler Biggs and Stuart Percy in the first round, who had 12 games total in the NHL.

2012: Morgan Reilly at 5th overall

2013: Freddie Gauthier at 21st overall

2014: Willy Nylander at 8th overall

2015: Mitch Marner at 4th overall

2016: Auston Matthews at 1st overall

So five years before Matthews came in they had drafted an elite goalie (Rask), elite centreman (Seguin), top four defenceman (Hamilton), got a top six centre in Kadri who turned into a two way guy, drafted Schenn and overrated him, and despite not making the playoffs they twice traded their first round pick.

Toronto was just a club that SHOULD have been better but management screwed them up, and when bad management screwed them up, they could have tanked but didn't. And the club they have now still has remnants of the years they weren't anywhere near a playoff team but still kept chugging. The Toronto rebuild technically started with the drafting of Reilly in 2012, but 2013 made everyone thinkt hey could be a playoff team again and the club made a bunch of disaster decisions that led to them falling to the Top 10 to pick Nylander.

If people want a great example of a team that tanked to rebuild and has nothing to show for it? They are playing the Leafs in the playoffs right now.

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm putting a quarter on Pierre McGuire finally getting an undeserved GM job.

I hope not. I like his speaking gig on TSN690. He's really at home on radio with nobody to compete with and no Sidney Crosby to drool over. Nobody can see his phallic countenance, neither.

14 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Toronto has been a non-playoff team since 05-06, with exception to 2013. Toronto didn't necessarily get lucky. Toronto has yet to finish better than third in their division since the 2005 lockout. Their rebuild actually started in 2012 with a delay in 2013.

It might not be bottoming out for first overall but Toronto drafted (and could have drafted)

2005: Tuuka Rask 21st overall (traded him)

2006: Jiri Tlusty 13th overall (bad draft, best they could likely have asked for)

2007: No first OR second rounder so they could get Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell. San Jose's pick went to St. Louis and they took Lars Eller. 

2008: Luke Schenn at 5th overall

2009: Nazem Kadri at 7th overall (still on the team)

2010: Could have been Tyler Seguin but they traded for Kessel

2011: Could have been Dougie Hamilton but they traded for Kessel. Still drafted Tyler Biggs and Stuart Percy in the first round, who had 12 games total in the NHL.

2012: Morgan Reilly at 5th overall

2013: Freddie Gauthier at 21st overall

2014: Willy Nylander at 8th overall

2015: Mitch Marner at 4th overall

2016: Auston Matthews at 1st overall

So five years before Matthews came in they had drafted an elite goalie (Rask), elite centreman (Seguin), top four defenceman (Hamilton), got a top six centre in Kadri who turned into a two way guy, drafted Schenn and overrated him, and despite not making the playoffs they twice traded their first round pick.

Toronto was just a club that SHOULD have been better but management screwed them up, and when bad management screwed them up, they could have tanked but didn't. And the club they have now still has remnants of the years they weren't anywhere near a playoff team but still kept chugging. The Toronto rebuild technically started with the drafting of Reilly in 2012, but 2013 made everyone thinkt hey could be a playoff team again and the club made a bunch of disaster decisions that led to them falling to the Top 10 to pick Nylander.

If people want a great example of a team that tanked to rebuild and has nothing to show for it? They are playing the Leafs in the playoffs right now.

That's good analysis...although I'm not entirely sure what the point is. My suggestion was just that being crap as often as not fails to translate into world-beating excellence; what often happens is simply that you suffered through years of being crap, period, with no particular reward at the end of the rainbow. Heck, this is what happened to the Habs in the Houle era. Total crap, yet the end result was the first Gainey team - not exactly world-beating. No doubt the Leafs *could* have been better sooner, but managerial mistakes are part of the equation.

54 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Good on Davey to be the playoff hero for Edmonton.

:thumbs_up: Yep, I've got nothing but good wishes for him.

Another guy I'm happy for is PK Subban. Given their total handling of the Hawks, Nashville could be set for a long run.

Three point game so far for Subban. He's commanding the game right after the CBC panel with exception to Kypreos was calling PK a second pair defenceman.

Now 3rd in D scoring in the playoffs (played one game more than Theodore).

On the anniversary of his first game with the Habs, called up to fill in for Spacek.

38 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Three point game so far for Subban. He's commanding the game right after the CBC panel with exception to Kypreos was calling PK a second pair defenceman.

Now 3rd in D scoring in the playoffs (played one game more than Theodore).

On the anniversary of his first game with the Habs, called up to fill in for Spacek.

The Habs really didn't need that offence did they? 

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

Happy for PK he sure had a game last night.

Don't miss him though. Weber is just fine 

I miss the excitement and the ability to take over a game. But yes, Weber is very good.

That said, in light of the abysmal condition of our talent pipeline, it really is incredible that the GM would trade a 27 year old #1 d-man for a 31-year-old, effectively burning four years of the team's Cup window on a lateral move. Oh well, Weber is a good old boy, so there's that.

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Weird price to pay right now for an impending UFA.

They must think they can sign him.  Darling's going to be one of the more sought after goalies in free agency this summer but I didn't think someone would give up a high pick without basically having a deal in place.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic