2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
28 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Ryan Ellis is the reason why I want the Habs to protect Beaulieu over Benn.

Benn looked ok when he first came to the Habs, but he's a 5-6 d-man and was probably the worst defensemen during the playoffs.

Yes, Beaulieu can make some questionable plays too, but he's still basically a top 4 d-man. 

He matched Petry's 28pts in less games. 

Mike Fisher (also hurt) 0 points in 14 playoff games

Carl Jarnkrok 2 points in 14 playoff games

Craig Smith and Colin Wilson seem to be out of favour with the coaches. 

Without Johansen, their centre depth is worse than the Habs. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Mike Fisher (also hurt) 0 points in 14 playoff games

Carl Jarnkrok 2 points in 14 playoff games

Craig Smith and Colin Wilson seem to be out of favour with the coaches. 

Without Johansen, their centre depth is worse than the Habs. 

Sadly, because they are the only non-noxious team left, they're hooped. Anaheim will beat the Sens (profitting from an injury ravaged and exhausted Pens squad) to win the Cup: a scenario not one in 10,000 would have predicted, I'll bet.

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sadly, because they are the only non-noxious team left, they're hooped. Anaheim will beat the Sens (profitting from an injury ravaged and exhausted Pens squad) to win the Cup: a scenario not one in 10,000 would have predicted, I'll bet.

I had Anaheim-Washington prior to the playoffs with Anaheim winning the cup but oddly enough I picked Pittsburgh over Washington once the matchup became a reality. I still think Pittsburgh will beat Ottawa and I'm not saying the Anaheim series is over, although what I've read in these past few posts doesn't bode well for them. 

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I almost need a Nashville/Ottawa SC final just for the possibility of seeing this again, but in a playoff game:

Laviolette v Boucher, round 2, FIGHT!

I had forgotten just how frigging goofy that was.

46 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Nashville is one win away from competing for the Cup. I'm amazed they've done it without the leadership of Shea Weber. Next trade: Beaulieu and Sergachev for Marian Hossa and Artem Anisimov. 

They won after losing their top two centres.  That's the difference between a good coach and MT and a management team that doesn't let their players come crumple under adversity.  Unlike the habs who called it a season after losing Price last year.

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They won after losing their top two centres.  That's the difference between a good coach and MT and a management team that doesn't let their players come crumple under adversity.  Unlike the habs who called it a season after losing Price last year.

Both teams are pretty injured so it's a toss up. Pretty much anyone's playoff now, especially if Gibson is out. I think he said he'll be alright but what else would he say and it's usually a bad sign when the goalie comes out of the game.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well...crediting management for this gut-check win seems a bit much, but one thing is clear: Nashville does not miss Shea Weber's supposedly incredible 'leadership' one bit. Make of that what you will.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well...crediting management for this gut-check win seems a bit much, but one thing is clear: Nashville does not miss Shea Weber's supposedly incredible 'leadership' one bit. Make of that what you will.

I don't know about that.  The guys on NBC said that when lavoilette was asked whether they would have to play a more defensive game.  He said absolutely. He said they had to play an aggressive attacking style.  In this situation, most coaches would have had their team go in a defensive shell.  Hell, MT always preached playing that defensive game - even though we were always a lousy defensive team that gave up a lot of high quality scoring chances.

when the game the preds scored the go ahead goal last night, they were still in attack mode and were still going for it and were so and were so aggressive they hardly allowed any shots.

i credit Laviolette for a hell of a coached game and Poile for hiring a guy that was a 180 degree change of direction from what Nashville's identity had been.  Unlike MB who hired a boob and replaced him with a similar, albeit better boob.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Both teams are pretty injured so it's a toss up. Pretty much anyone's playoff now, especially if Gibson is out. I think he said he'll be alright but what else would he say and it's usually a bad sign when the goalie comes out of the game.

Ok for Rackell.  Simon Després missed the whole season  and the other injury on the Ducks is Clayton Stoner.  A toss up ?!?!?!?!

17 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Ok for Rackell.  Simon Després missed the whole season  and the other injury on the Ducks is Clayton Stoner.  A toss up ?!?!?!?!

Patrick Eaves (a 32 goal scorer this year somehow) is also out for them.  Rakell was the other 30+ goal scorer on their team.

On 2017-05-19 at 10:36 PM, Trizzak said:

I almost need a Nashville/Ottawa SC final just for the possibility of seeing this again, but in a playoff game:

Laviolette v Boucher, round 2, FIGHT!

Holy hell how have I never seen this before. What a complete FU to this system. LMAO this is incredible

7 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

As mentioned, Patrick Eaves and when I posted it was right after a game that their starting goalie left due to injury. I'm guessing he's good to go based on your post though. 

21 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Brent Seabrook is complete trash right now.

Seabrook for Petry?

I wanted to say how about Beaulieu for Brian Campbell? But he's an UFA :(

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎18 at 6:19 AM, Stogey24 said:

Benn looked ok when he first came to the Habs, but he's a 5-6 d-man and was probably the worst defensemen during the playoffs.

Yes, Beaulieu can make some questionable plays too, but he's still basically a top 4 d-man. 

He matched Petry's 28pts in less games

Your looking at his PIMs, he only had 17pts.

But, do hope he stays and at 29 he should be in his prime, but never will be a 2nd unit PP guy like Petry can be behind Weber.

My mistake, I thought you meant Benn, but yes Beaulieu produced a bit more...but 7g in 225 NHL games isn't real encouraging for a young guy who is shaky and bit clueless at times in his own end. 

Edited by DON
mistake

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Brent Seabrook is complete trash right now.

Seabrook for Petry?

That sounds good. Marc Bergevin knew him pretty well when he was an AGM of Chicago. I wonder if he's still trying to model the team after the Hawks even though they got swept.

11 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

That sounds good. Marc Bergevin knew him pretty well when he was an AGM of Chicago. I wonder if he's still trying to model the team after the Hawks even though they got swept.

I dunno...the Hawks didn't build all those championships with fourth-line plumbers and slowfoots.

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic