2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Goldobin and a conditional fourth is the Hansen return.  (4th becomes 1st if Sharks win cup). 

Who kidnapped Benning and replaced him with a good GM?

I'm glad Hansen didn't want to go to Montreal then.  That's a nice return for Vancouver (again).

Coach said Emelin likely will be healthy scratch tomorrow...when was last time Emelin was healthy scratch, for performance reasons?:spamafote:

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Coach said Emelin likely will be healthy scratch tomorrow...when was last time Emelin was healthy scratch, for performance reasons?:spamafote:

Don't know the last time....but I can tell you its overdue.   Lets hope that Davidson makes Emelyn expendable in expansion draft

5 minutes ago, Davehab said:

Don't know the last time....but I can tell you its overdue.   Lets hope that Davidson makes Emelyn expendable in expansion draft

I don't think one will really affect the other.  The Habs are likely to go the 7-3 route in terms of skaters.  Petry has to be protected, Weber's an obvious choice, and right now Beaulieu is the more logical choice to be #3 (and if that changes, it could be to Benn).  At this point, Emelin's likely to be exposed anyways.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think one will really affect the other.  The Habs are likely to go the 7-3 route in terms of skaters.  Petry has to be protected, Weber's an obvious choice, and right now Beaulieu is the more logical choice to be #3 (and if that changes, it could be to Benn).  At this point, Emelin's likely to be exposed anyways.

Likely to be exposed, and probably with a side deal that says "If you select Emelin we'll trade you a 4th rounder for future considerations"

Pleks will more likely be picked, i don't see Montreal protecting him. On a one year deal, can be moved at the deadline. Those types of players will be what Vegas looks at. 

I don't think they will protect Emelin either. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Neech said:

So apparently NHL GM's don't want to make their expansion lists public, which would be incredibly lame.  The fans deserve to know!

Just to bring up the other side, what about the players?  They wouldn't want it to be known that they were deemed expendable for free by the teams.  A GM certainly wouldn't want it out there either - that has the potential to be damaging in future contract negotiations moving forward.  From the standpoint of the fans, it'd be great to have them posted a couple of days before the draft - it'd make for great discussions.  But it's obvious why the teams or the league for that matter would like to keep the lists private.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Just to bring up the other side, what about the players?  They wouldn't want it to be known that they were deemed expendable for free by the teams.  A GM certainly wouldn't want it out there either - that has the potential to be damaging in future contract negotiations moving forward.  From the standpoint of the fans, it'd be great to have them posted a couple of days before the draft - it'd make for great discussions.  But it's obvious why the teams or the league for that matter would like to keep the lists private.

It is just as likely that they leave him unprotected knowing full well he won't be picked. Each team only loses 1 guy.

1 minute ago, habs rule said:

It is just as likely that they leave him unprotected knowing full well he won't be picked. Each team only loses 1 guy.

Player: "Why did you leave me unprotected?"

GM: "Well, we didn't think you were good enough to be picked.  We're glad to still have you around though."

Something tells me that wouldn't be a fun conversation to have with a bunch of players from every team.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Player: "Why did you leave me unprotected?"

GM: "Well, we didn't think you were good enough to be picked.  We're glad to still have you around though."

Something tells me that wouldn't be a fun conversation to have with a bunch of players from every team.

I am sure that a GM has more tact  and common sense than that. Something like, we did not want to leave you unprotected but it is a numbers game. We really took a huge risk and thankfully it worked out. Now get out of my office and get back to practice.:D

1 minute ago, habs rule said:

I am sure that a GM has more tact  and common sense than that. Something like, we did not want to leave you unprotected but it is a numbers game. We really took a huge risk and thankfully it worked out. Now get out of my office and get back to practice.:D

You're a harsh GM, telling players to get back to practice in the middle of June when the season and playoffs are over... :)

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You're a harsh GM, telling players to get back to practice in the middle of June when the season and playoffs are over... :)

Ya gotta be tough to play on my team.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Just to bring up the other side, what about the players? 

One Hab player will find out and be moving SW.

Who will it be?

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The players understand the nature of the business.  It's entertainment after all.

In 1992 the rangers won the presidents trophy and lost in the playoffs to the eventual cup champion penguins in a hard fought series.

In 1993 they sucked and missed the playoffs.

In 1994 they won the presidents trophy and stanley cup.

What happened in the middle?  That was the lindros trade fiasco where he was traded to both the flyers and the rangers and the trade package was widely known.

Many people believe that had an effect on the players who were "traded" and then stayed in new york after the arbitration.  They were not mentally sharp that year.

Others will say the whole Lecavalier fiasco effected many habs during the 2009 season and there was a reason gainey was so pissed at the leak from tampa.

So yeah i understand why gms dont want the unprotected lists public

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Commandant said:

In 1992 the rangers won the presidents trophy and lost in the playoffs to the eventual cup champion penguins in a hard fought series.

What happened in the middle?  That was the lindros trade fiasco where he was traded to both the flyers and the rangers and the trade package was widely known.

Many people believe that had an effect on the players who were "traded" and then stayed in new york after the arbitration.  They were not mentally sharp that year.

Others will say the whole Lecavalier fiasco effected many habs during the 2009 season and there was a reason gainey was so pissed at the leak from tampa.

Great point. But I dunno...it seems to me ridiculously baby-ish from players to react this way in a cap era. Most of them seem to be fans of the sport, like the rest of us, and are undoubtedly aware of all the same considerations that we are.

Surely a tactful GM could talk to a player before the list comes out and say, 'we love you as a player, but the cap hit is a major consideration, based on our discussions with Vegas we don't believe you will be chosen,' blah blah blah. If he isn't chosen, then you take him out to dinner or something, massage the ego.

All that said, I'm not denying your interpretation of how it actually plays out. But it really shouldn't be that way from today's supposedly sophisticated, 'businessman' hockey player.

On 3/10/2017 at 9:31 AM, Commandant said:

That... eh.

The two biggest changes between 91-92 and 93-94 is that Mike Richter emerged as the starting goalie after a poor 92-93 campaign (Quebec got to choose between Vanbiesbrock and Richter) and Mike Keenan came in as coach. Only James Patrick saw scoring drops as Amonte and Nemchinov had the same scoring numbers in 92 and 93. Kovalev was a rookie in 93 and just got more seasoned in 94. Amonte had a huge downturn in 1994, the year the Rangers won the Cup, as he didn't play well in Keenan's system. He would get traded for Stephane Matteau (which was a bad trade but I'm sure someone will say his size was more valuable than Amonte's skill) while Gartner was moved for Mark Messier's friend Glenn Anderson (another bad trade but they won the Cup so nobody cared to criticize it). They could move Amonte and Gartner because they had emerging stars like Kovalev and Graves to take the minutes. Steve Larmer was another huge addition.

The 2009 trade between Montreal and Tampa was supposed to happen in the 2009 off-season, after the 08-09 campaign. There were rumours of it happening during the season with Dreger saying it would be Higgins/Plekanec/Subban plus picks in January 2009, with Subban not even a Hab yet. Plekanec and Higgins were having terrible years, but Higgins proved he was just regressing due to injuries. By the spring it morphed into Pacioretty/Price/Plekanec according to Brian Lawton. If I recall, at the time it almost happened, it was downgraded to Plekanec/Gorges/Higgins or something along those lines with Gorges apparently taking it hard in the summer of 2009. None of this accounts for the season since the season was over. 

That all said, to the original point, it's no different to teams not just posting on NHL.com the players they are shopping or are willing to move. It's bad business and removes leverage. Imagine if a team was willing to trade for a player but then you put him on your unprotected list. Suddenly he doesn't see any value in them anymore because they know you'll give them up to Vegas for free. The price just changed all because you showed your cards.

On 2017-03-10 at 7:31 AM, Commandant said:

They did get a new coach, but I guess to you consider that as nothing in the middle.  You probably also didn't think it mattered that the Rangers 3rd leading scorer in the cup run kovolev, was a rookie the previous year and wasn't with the team  the whole year in his rookie year, or that tikannen was added late in 1992-93, another veteran key guy in the playoffs, Larmer also wasn't there the previous year.  But I guess none of this goes with the narrative you're trying to sell.

All that matters is the perception that this affected those teams.  It doesn't even have to be real as long as GMs believe it, they are not going to make there lists public.  

And I'm not the first person to claim that these things effected teams either. 

The meltdown of 2009 and Gainey's subsequent demolition of the entire organization remains one of the most dramatic events in recent hockey history - Bob's response might be the single most extreme act of general managing ever.

As for the rumoured (horrific) trade with Tampa Bay, thank God it fell through.

Well looks like Rangers locked in 1st wildcard spot, so given Habs weak schedule to finish season 1st place would match them up. If somehow Sens pass them, the Habs will face Bruins.

Either should be an entertaining match up for Habs to start playoffs vs.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Well looks like Rangers locked in 1st wildcard spot, so given Habs weak schedule to finish season 1st place would match them up. If somehow Sens pass them, the Habs will face Bruins.

Either should be an entertaining match up for Habs to start playoffs vs.

Yes, Original Six hockey, always a good thing. It would be very satisying to see the Habs excising the Rangers demon of 2014; and, of coure, beating the BOs is eternally gratifying.:thumbs_up:

• dlbalr unpinned this topic