2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

According to Engels (you can find the tweets)

I put it out there a couple of days ago. Habs weren't willing to offer what other bidders did for Shipachyov. They're looking elsewhere.

Regardless of what Shipachyov said a year ago about not signing with the Habs, his camp reached out to them roughly 10 days ago.

The proof will be in the pudding with Shipachyov. If he fails to produce as a quality 2nd line C (say, 50+ points) then MB was justified in staying away. If he succeeds, then this is a ludicrous act of general-managerial negligence. We'll see.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Hey Bergy !

Image result for terrible sports management

I need to know what the context of this graph is, I can't figure it out just based on the numbers and the text telling me I suck.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I put it out there a couple of days ago. Habs weren't willing to offer what other bidders did for Shipachyov. They're looking elsewhere.

Regardless of what Shipachyov said a year ago about not signing with the Habs, his camp reached out to them roughly 10 days ago.

They're looking else where. That's good. 

4.5mill is worth the risk.

Pacioretty would probably tear it up with a legit play making centre

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Subban is an awesome player. This is not news. And as he has matured he has become more focused on playing a controlling, complete, masterful game. Even if Weber is, overall, as good as PK, the age difference makes the trade a win for the Preds (who seem to be doing just fine without Weber's superhuman 'leadership' - wait  how can that be???). The trade was a pointless lateral move made to please a coach who should have been fired at the end of 2016 instead of a few months later, by a plodding GM who misidentified his team's central weakness. As Trump would say: SAD.

I still don't consider the move to be even a lateral move.  The preds would not have traded their mountain man captain, if it was a lateral move

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Told you

he ####ing failed. 

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Told you

he ####ing failed. 

Dieing for a centre, yet they pass on one who has legit top 6 potential. 

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Dieing for a centre, yet they pass on one who has legit top 6 potential. 

Its pathetic.  Absolutely pathetic that we didn't put in a competitive offer. 

Seriously we should have outbid the 4.5.  He might still have picked vegas, who knows.  But to completely and utterly fail to make an offer?  He's gotta go.  The GM has GOT TO GO. 

Can't trade for a centre

Can't draft a centre, and the one guy he does draft he plays on the wing

Doesn't make competitive offers for an available free agent centre

No solutions. He has no solutions. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Seriously we should have outbid the 4.5.  He might still have picked vegas, who knows.  But to completely and utterly fail to make an offer?  He's gotta go.  The GM has GOT TO GO. 

Can't trade for a centre

That's because finding solutions is 'tough' :rolleyes:

It's not even clear that he understands the problem, TBH. 

I've come to the conclusion he doesn't believe this club ever needed another top six centre. He was content with Desharnais/Plekanec. He never seemed to like the idea of Galchenyuk moving into a top six centre slot and preferred him on the wing. He watched two coaches mess with him. Plekanec fell off a cliff and Desharnais was done so he moved Weise for Danault and is content with him in the top six.

Until I see an actual trade or signing to claim otherwise that's pretty clear what we got. He's fine with Montreal's position at centre and pretty much always has been. If he wasn't, he would have made some big changes. The defence has been changing every year to his liking. Centre? Pretty much remains the same. It's time we stop blaming the coaches on this one. You don't think Bergevin was 100% in support of everything Therrien did at centre? If he wasn't he would have traded someone.

We should have saw this way back when he made the foolish signing of Daniel Briere and then was more foolish by watching Therrien use him as a right winger.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Can't trade for a centre

I think you are getting a little  ahead of yourself here. Maybe MB has other options he is currently considering and going after. We don't know, let's wait until the summer before we start burning the place down.

I know it's open season on shitting on MB but let's be a little practical and wait for the end result.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I think you are getting a little  ahead of yourself here. Maybe MB has other options he is currently considering and going after. We don't know, let's wait until the summer before we start burning the place down.

I know it's open season on shitting on MB but let's be a little practical and wait for the end result.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

Ship must have poor character and no leadership skills....Just like Galchenyuk :unsure:

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

I think you're being a little bit too reasonable and level headed. The off season hasn't even started yet and we want to throw a bunch of cap space at a guy that never played in the NHL before to hopefully be good enough to be a #2 center. I don't care if his numbers might be inflated by playing on a powerhouse team or not. It also doesn't matter if he wanted more money than Vegas offered him to offset taxes, or if he chose to play elsewhere for other reasons than money, we want him signed!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

End result... straight to the sewage treatment facility is where this franchise is headed!

Hire McGuire rhymes nicely...

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I think you're being a little bit too reasonable and level headed. The off season hasn't even started yet and we want to throw a bunch of cap space at a guy that never played in the NHL before to hopefully be good enough to be a #2 center. I don't care if his numbers might be inflated by playing on a powerhouse team or not. It also doesn't matter if he wanted more money than Vegas offered him to offset taxes, or if he chose to play elsewhere for other reasons than money, we want him signed!

Lets forget about the taxes, lets forget about wanting to play elsewhere for other reasons than money.  Those were both blown out the window today. 

According to Engels

His agent called the Habs to gauge interest. 

Bergevin DID NOT EVEN MAKE A COMPETITIVE OFFER. 

if we were in the race and lost, ok fine, we lost cause he wanted to play somewhere else.  

He wasn't even in the race.  Thats a problem. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lets forget about the taxes, lets forget about wanting to play elsewhere for other reasons than money.  Those were both blown out the window today. 

According to Engels

if we were in the race and lost, ok fine, we lost cause he wanted to play somewhere else.  

YAAA NOT EVEN A COMPETITIVE OFFER FOR A PLAYER WHO HASNT PLAYED ONE GAME IN NHL AND LIKE 29 OTHER TEAMS GETS OUTBID BY VEGAS, WHAT A JOKE!

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

According to Engels

He doesn't have to make offers to everybody that plays center for him to be competent as a GM. Perhaps he doesn't like the way he plays the game, or doesn't think his production will translate into the NHL, he costs too much, or maybe he has his sights set on someone else....kind of what Engels said. If he didn't make a competitive offer it only makes sense that he has his reason why he didn't. The off season hasn't even started yet and he is being lynched for not making moves. Big acquisitions generally don't happen at the deadline and they certainly don't happen during the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DON said:

YAAA NOT EVEN A COMPETITIVE OFFER FOR A PLAYER WHO HASNT PLAYED ONE GAME IN NHL AND LIKE 29 OTHER TEAMS GETS OUTBID BY VEGAS, WHAT A JOKE!

Auston Matthews hadn't played one game in the NHL before last season.  He was terrible for the Leafs. 

I know you defend him no matter what, but the defences are getting weaker and weaker. 

3 hours ago, illWill said:

He doesn't have to make offers to everybody that plays center for him to be competent as a GM. Perhaps he doesn't like the way he plays the game, or doesn't think his production will translate into the NHL, he costs too much, or maybe he has his sights set on someone else....kind of what Engels said. If he didn't make a competitive offer it only makes sense that he has his reason why he didn't. The off season hasn't even started yet and he is being lynched for not making moves. Big acquisitions generally don't happen at the deadline and they certainly don't happen during the playoffs. 

And they don't happen in the previous 4 offseasons when he needed a centre and didn't get one. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Auston Matthews hadn't played one game in the NHL before last season.  He was terrible for the Leafs. 

I know you defend him no matter what, but the defences are getting weaker and weaker. 

Hey, I am with you man. He f'in failed, has no solutions no solutions, so lets tar and feather the stupid idiot!

Lets get it on! Image result for run out on a rail comical images

How hopeless is the friggin situation? What is the chance Molson will see the light and fire the whole bunch of f'in culls! Or is Molson a bigger boat anchor to success than Bergy?

9 hours ago, Scott462 said:

I wanted to give him a year to show that trading PK was a part of a plan to make the team better but so far all I see is PK playing great for Nashville while we still have the same problems as the last 15 years. Not good enough centers. If he just had to trade PK then why not for a good young center?

And now he misses again on a good chance in this russian kid that he didnt even bother to make an offer for.

Its better MB goes before the draft before he ruins something more.

Guest Stogey24
4 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I wanted to give him a year to show that trading PK was a part of a plan to make the team better but so far all I see is PK playing great for Nashville while we still have the same problems as the last 15 years. Not good enough centers. If he just had to trade PK then why not for a good young center?

And now he misses again on a good chance in this russian kid that he didnt even bother to make an offer for.

I'm watching that Nashville game. They look unreal. Subban is on fire. 

Dangerous team from the net out. 

10 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I think MB did try for a centre with Edmonton but was turned down.

Like I said I'm happy for Subban he was always a great player but I'm not disappointed in Weber, IMO him and Radulov won us game 2,3. We needed someone else to step up and no one else could. Not even Carey who should of been able to steal us a game. What can you do, I'm hoping for the best next year.

Also you want to talk about a guy on fire right now look at Getzlaf. He is playing like a guy that will not be denied.

54 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I think MB did try for a centre with Edmonton but was turned down.

Like I said I'm happy for Subban he was always a great player but I'm not disappointed in Weber, IMO him and Radulov won us game 2,3. We needed someone else to step up and no one else could. Not even Carey who should of been able to steal us a game. What can you do, I'm hoping for the best next year.

Also you want to talk about a guy on fire right now look at Getzlaf. He is playing like a guy that will not be denied.

Andrei Kostitsyn.

That draft has been this organization's lingering bane.

I don't know how you watch that Canadian WJC team and not want to draft everyone.

All the franchise players that went that draft. Still had they not taken Kostitsyn, they'd have taken Steve Bernier or Marc-Antoine Pouliot.

This is the real reason this team has struggled and will never win. Desharnais, PAP, 2 million in buyouts, because they retained francophones longer than necessary as per quota.

Please NHL. Bring back the Nords and rid the Habs of the politics.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic