Jump to content

2016-17 NHL Season Thread


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

And they don't happen in the previous 4 offseasons when he needed a centre and didn't get one. 

I would maintain that they have been undermanned at center as far back as 2003 and maybe as far back as their last  Stanley Cup. You are right about MB's  disregard for the center position the last four years. he himself may have thought he had got it right with Galchenyuk and Danault. He didn't. I believe that if he would spend half the time looking for centers as he spends looking for defenceman, that he wouldn't be in such a pickle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scott462 said:

 

I think MB did try for a centre with Edmonton but was turned down.

 

Like I said I'm happy for Subban he was always a great player but I'm not disappointed in Weber, IMO him and Radulov won us game 2,3. We needed someone else to step up and no one else could. Not even Carey who should of been able to steal us a game. What can you do, I'm hoping for the best next year.

 

Also you want to talk about a guy on fire right now look at Getzlaf. He is playing like a guy that will not be denied.

 

It's a consistent theme with Bergevin's defenders. 'Good is good enough.'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlueKross said:

I would maintain that they have been undermanned at center as far back as 2003 and maybe as far back as their last  Stanley Cup. You are right about MB's  disregard for the center position the last four years. he himself may have thought he had got it right with Galchenyuk and Danault. He didn't. I believe that if he would spend half the time looking for centers as he spends looking for defenceman, that he wouldn't be in such a pickle.

 

The problem goes back further than 4 off-seasons, no doubt. 

I just said 4 cause that is how many years Bergevin had to do it.  I wasn't going to pin the failings of Gauthier, Gainey, etc... on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It's a consistent theme with Bergevin's defenders. 'Good is good enough.'

Good is not good enough, everyone should know that.

Now great on the other hand, is great...isn't it.:blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It's a consistent theme with Bergevin's defenders. 'Good is good enough.'

 

Lol I'm not even a Bergevin defender and I find it amusing that you would insinuate so.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, DON said:

Good is not good enough, everyone should know that.

Now great on the other hand, is great...isn't it.:blink:

 

Don, I'm curious if there is a point where you will have had enough of MB? You defended the Subban trade, you defend MB in every thread.

 

Do you truly believe that he is doing a good job or are you just defending him because no one else will?

 

What would MB have to do to catch your ire?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

 

Don, I'm curious if there is a point where you will have had enough of MB? You defended the Subban trade, you defend MB in every thread.

 

Do you truly believe that he is doing a good job or are you just defending him because no one else will?

 

What would MB have to do to catch your ire?

If we finished 31st next year Don would probably say that there's nothing with that - it's part of the master plan to rebuild through the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

 

Don, I'm curious if there is a point where you will have had enough of MB? You defended the Subban trade, you defend MB in every thread.

Who knows, or really should care much what I think? Everyone has own opinion and some are more or less vocal about it.

Do you truly believe that he is doing a good job or are you just defending him because no one else will?

I would say above average (though that's not a high bar); and more that the never-ending cynical voices are simply so over the top, when their pessimism seems mostly based on a lot of wild-ass guesses,speculation and assumptions, they set themselves up for some disagreement, I guess you would say.

What would MB have to do to catch your ire?

Trade away too many picks & prospects for washed up vets like Briere, which was one deal I disliked, maybe a few more Emelin, Desharnais over pay deals. Keep hiring only French coaches for AHL team, hiring seemingly unqualified son of current AGM to coach, drafting son of current scout, draft by size in 1st round, keep coaching staff of AHL team in-place too much longer, not even seemingly trying to ice a winning product in AHL for much longer.

But, I guess I never get that excited about what Habs Mgmt does, but some of that stuff is irritating; however, I also don't have a clue how much Molson's politics meddles in day to day stuff. Except that he showed no backbone when Cunneyworth was appointed as interim coach, that was an awkward mess.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
19 minutes ago, illWill said:

It's so annoying watching Lundquist let in soft goals against the Senators after playing basically flawless against the Habs 

Habs make a lot of goalies look flawless 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Shooting at the crest n his jersey just doesn't do it.

 

 

THIS

 

Useless Max put most of his shots into spots a Jr B goalie would have saved them, and he wasn't alone in that.  Lundqvist wasn't making a dozen highlight reel saves per game as he was shutting the door on us, he was being made to look good while having to do very little.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Subban helps the predators go deeper in the playoffs than they ever did in their history with Weber.  Guess the preds didn't miss his leadership much!!

 

On the other hand despite bringing in the mountain man and his leadership, the guy who brought him in said we lost because the team is fragile.  I guess we didn't need to wait 3 or 4 years for this trade to bite us in the ass!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Subban helps the predators go deeper in the playoffs than they ever did in their history with Weber.  Guess the preds didn't miss his leadership much!!

 

On the other hand despite bringing in the mountain man and his leadership, the guy who brought him in said we lost because the team is fragile.  I guess we didn't need to wait 3 or 4 years for this trade to bite us in the ass!

I would say you are reaching a bit there. Weber was very good in the playoffs. So was radulov. No Weber. Probably no radulov. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I would say you are reaching a bit there. Weber was very good in the playoffs. So was radulov. No Weber. Probably no radulov. 

 

Now there's a reach.

 

The only thing stopping Radulov in Montreal was Bergevin. He was his third choice and wanted Weber's opinion on if he was good enough to be a Hab. Weber just said yes. No Radulov not because Weber vouched but because Bergevin thought Lucic and Perron were better choices and didn't want to give Radulov two years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone would have lost a bet (from the Subban trade thread)

 

On 7/4/2016 at 2:14 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Here's a bet I'd be willing to take even at 2 to 1 odds. Habs will go further in the playoffs this season than they did last season and the Preds will not go as far as they did. It seems so obvious to me because of the respective seasons they had last year. But if it is so obvious, then it's food for thought.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I would say you are reaching a bit there. Weber was very good in the playoffs. So was radulov. No Weber. Probably no radulov. 

I'm sure in the 1 day Weber was a hab he sold radulov on signing with Montreal.  That's about as likely as therrien ever winning a cup!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

Now there's a reach.

 

The only thing stopping Radulov in Montreal was Bergevin. He was his third choice and wanted Weber's opinion on if he was good enough to be a Hab. Weber just said yes. No Radulov not because Weber vouched but because Bergevin thought Lucic and Perron were better choices and didn't want to give Radulov two years.

We were damn lucky that Lucic chose Edmonton, otherwise in 3 years we'd be stuck with a washed out lucic to go along with an almost washed out Weber.

 

look at the guys MB targeted right from the start - a washed out Briere, an extension to pleks when he should have been traded and last year a ridiculous extension to a 3rd liner like Shaw.  And people are still drinking this guy's kool-aid??   Molson's a moron for not firing his ass.  MB still having a job is as dumb as milbury having a job as long as he did, or Garth snow still having a job.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are the ones reaching because you're the ones bringing it up. Weber helped the Habs do better than they did last year. Subban helped the Predators do better than they did last season. Win-win. 

 

I love Subban but he's not even the one leading the Preds from the back end these playoffs. That would be Ryan Ellis. 

 

The Habs have a weaker team (forward & defense) on paper than the Preds, period. That's not meant to be a slight on the Habs but the Preds have talent throughout their lineup. While I don't care one way or the other, I sincerely don't see them winning the cup. They'll lose to Anaheim or Pittsburgh but could compete with the Pilers, Rags, Ottawa and Washington (which would be an interesting final. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We were damn lucky that Lucic chose Edmonton, otherwise in 3 years we'd be stuck with a washed out lucic to go along with an almost washed out Weber.

 

look at the guys MB targeted right from the start - a washed out Briere, an extension to pleks when he should have been traded and last year a ridiculous extension to a 3rd liner like Shaw.  And people are still drinking this guy's kool-aid??   Molson's a moron for not firing his ass.  MB still having a job is as dumb as milbury having a job as long as he did, or Garth snow still having a job.

Oh yes but if only he targeted star forwards Drew Stafford, P.A. Parenteau, Patrick Eaves or Jannik Hansen at the deadline, he would have become our hero. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You guys are the ones reaching because you're the ones bringing it up. Weber helped the Habs do better than they did last year. Subban helped the Predators do better than they did last season. Win-win. 

 

I love Subban but he's not even the one leading the Preds from the back end these playoffs. That would be Ryan Ellis. 

 

The Habs have a weaker team (forward & defense) on paper than the Preds, period. That's not meant to be a slight on the Habs but the Preds have talent throughout their lineup. While I don't care one way or the other, I sincerely don't see them winning the cup. They'll lose to Anaheim or Pittsburgh but could compete with the Pilers, Rags, Ottawa and Washington (which would be an interesting final. 

 

 

Weber didn't help the habs do better this year - having Carey Price in net did.  David Poile said that while they got Subban to add to their offence, it's Subban that was tasked with shutting down the opposition's top line - he's been playing the hardest minutes each game and completely shut down Toews who was so happy he wouldn't have to face weber in the west.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Weber didn't help the habs do better this year - having Carey Price in net did.  David Poile said that while they got Subban to add to their offence,but it's Subban that was tasked with shutting down the opposition's top line - he's been playing the hardest minutes each game and completely shut down Toews who was so happy he wouldn't have to face weber in the west.

 

PREACH IT, BROTHER.

 

Anyone using 2016 as the key comparator is out of their minds. The correct point of comparison with the 2017 team is the 2015 team. Both teams had Price. The 2016 team did not.

 

The 2017 team did marginally worse than the 2015 team and had exactly the same weaknesses. Meanwhile, the Preds have achieved superior results with Subban than they did with Dear Leader Weber.

 

If results are the measure, then they are in. The Habs at best stagnated. The Preds improved.

 

It just shows what a bunch of unmitigated BS all the talk about Subban's 'character' is, and what a heap of baloney all this gibberish about 'Leadership' as our big problem was.

 

The trade was a clownish move by a clownish organization with a clownish GM, to please a clownish coach.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

PREACH IT, BROTHER.

 

Anyone using 2016 as the key comparator is out of their minds. The correct point of comparison with the 2017 team is the 2015 team. Both teams had Price. The 2016 team did not.

 

The 2017 team did marginally worse than the 2015 team and had exactly the same weaknesses. Meanwhile, the Preds have achieved superior results with Subban than they did with Dear Leader Weber.

 

If results are the measure, then they are in. The Habs at best stagnated. The Preds improved.

 

It just shows what a bunch of unmitigated BS all the talk about Subban's 'character' is, and what a heap of baloney all this gibberish about 'Leadership' as our big problem was.

 

The trade was a clownish move by a clownish organization with a clownish GM, to please a clownish coach.

 

 

what i'm going to be rooting for now is for the Preds to win the cup and Subban choose to have his day with the cup in Montreal.  That way he can still keep his promise to Gainey AND stick it to MB and his foxhole buddy.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • dlbalr unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...