Weber Appreciation Thread

C-Love

Weber reminds me of a veteran quarterback. His hockey IQ is just so high, he always seems to be in the right spot and his teammates are noticing that. It seems they feel pretty confident when he's out there.

Its also pretty funny seeing guys trying to enter the zone against him. Just a pleasure to watch.

I'm really not seeing this boring play but to each his own. You can't please everyone. ?

6 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Weber reminds me of a veteran quarterback. His hockey IQ is just so high, he always seems to be in the right spot and his teammates are noticing that. It seems they feel pretty confident when he's out there.

Its also pretty funny seeing guys trying to enter the zone against him. Just a pleasure to watch.

I'm really not seeing this boring play but to each his own. You can't please everyone. ?

"Hockey IQ" often makes players seem "boring" if you're only a casual fan. Take goaltending as an example: Do you ever notice how few highlight reel saves Carey Price has to make? We rarely see the catlike reflexes or amazing snatches from midair that were the hallmark of 90's greats like Eddy Belfour or Dominic Hasek. And do you know why? Because they were out of position and forced to rely on their admittedly amazing reflexes.  Carey Price doesn't have to, because he's in the right fracking spot to start with and makes clueless fans wonder why opposing forwards make it so easy by firing right at Carey Price. The answer to that is he doesn't give them anything else to shoot at.

Smart defensive play from forwards and defensemen are the same. You don't need to make that outstanding block, because you didn't let them take the shot. You don't rob an opponent of an incredible scoring chance, because you never let them get into a position to get that chance to start with.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As long as we don't fall for the erroneous logic that "this is team is better with Weber," I'm all for the thread.

Sweet jesus, cant you post anything without bringing up and relating everything to that ex-hab? There are enough threads already for that debate, this isn't one of those I had hoped.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

As a friend of mine said this summer :

Weber is Jack "Cap" Rooney

Subban is "Steamin" Willie Beamen

Weber is a stud defenseman, a total team player, and a guy I want on the ice in game 7 of overtime, he's steady and awesome in his own end, and can end a game with one shot.

I don't care about P.K. Subban, he doesn't play for the Habs anymore, and if he did I would spend all that game 7 overtime worrying he would cost us the game with a bonehead selfish play.

That's all I got...:1gohabs:

This is a Shea Weber appreciation thread I thought. Why are we still dwelling on Subban's absence? Weber is here EXACTLY as advertised, he is every bit the player everyone, who loves and respects him as a player, say he is. 

He is a work horse, a man mountain, he is mean and somewhat nasty. He is smart and makes quick passes, he has an accurate and booming shot. He is also going to be this way for quite some time because he is simply a physical specimen who has avoided major inuries in his career and plays his game around assets that will not decline with age. He relies on quick passes, strength, conditioning and one of the best slappers in the league's history. These are the tools he uses to plant himself near the top of the d-men list. The one thing every player loses with time is footspeed, it is literally the aspect he relies on the least to make him elite. Much like Markov is able to stay good with his age because his vision, his passing, his stick work are never affected, he is simply slower than he once was.

Weber has allowed for 2 things of great importance that make this team work better this season. He has made is possible to move Beaulieu to the top pairing and accelerate his development, he will be an absolute stud just from studying and playing along side Weber. And consequently the second he has done is allowed Markov to move where it was most optimal for him to play at the minutes that were most optimal aswell. I think we all know if Weber was not here, Beaulieu would not be on the top pair and Markov would be forced to remain there playing against tougher opposition for longer than he should be.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

"Hockey IQ" often makes players seem "boring" if you're only a casual fan. Take goaltending as an example: Do you ever notice how few highlight reel saves Carey Price has to make? We rarely see the catlike reflexes or amazing snatches from midair that were the hallmark of 90's greats like Eddy Belfour or Dominic Hasek. And do you know why? Because they were out of position and forced to rely on their admittedly amazing reflexes.  Carey Price doesn't have to, because he's in the right fracking spot to start with and makes clueless fans wonder why opposing forwards make it so easy by firing right at Carey Price. The answer to that is he doesn't give them anything else to shoot at.

Smart defensive play from forwards and defensemen are the same. You don't need to make that outstanding block, because you didn't let them take the shot. You don't rob an opponent of an incredible scoring chance, because you never let them get into a position to get that chance to start with.

I have chosen to stay far from this debate as I've noticed my blood pressure goes haywire lately when I argue with others, however I just wanted to let you know that what Jeff Price wrote above makes total sense. 

He's totally right about Hockey IQ and the effectiveness that comes with it. As much as I enjoy seeing our players on the top 10 highlights I think W's in the standings are much more enjoyable. 

5 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Analytics from what i read and heard pointed to shea weber having a poor game thursday vs arizona. Hardly what i saw though... as i would think most saw if they watched that game.

One person is pushing that narrative.

One person who thinks he knows how to use analytics, but fails to account for a little something called "score effects". There are some other issues he failed to account for as well. 

Weber had a very good game against Arizona.  

His games against Buffalo and Ottawa earlier were not particularly good. 

22 hours ago, bar said:
9 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Analytics from what i read and heard pointed to shea weber having a poor game thursday vs arizona. Hardly what i saw though... as i would think most saw if they watched that game.

I think that was a fancy stat cheerleader named A. Berkshire spewing that BS, who of course is smarter than everyone else...or that's is what he will tell you anyways.;)

15 hours ago, Link67 said:

. Much like Markov is able to stay good with his age because his vision, his passing, his stick work are never affected, he is simply slower than he once was.

Markov's speed is gone, and it costs us . He gets beat a lot more than he used to. He was a great defenceman, and I agree vision, passing, etc are still good, but the foot speed is hurting us. IMHO

11 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Markov's speed is gone, and it costs us . He gets beat a lot more than he used to. He was a great defenceman, and I agree vision, passing, etc are still good, but the foot speed is hurting us. IMHO

Yup, giving up 7g in 4gms just wont cut it, might as well start the tank early! 

Plummet for Patrick!!!

Big RH centre will fit right into rebuilding plan. 

51 minutes ago, DON said:

Yup, giving up 7g in 4gms just wont cut it, might as well start the tank early! 

Plummet for Patrick!!!

Big RH centre will fit right into rebuilding plan. 

don't twist what I said, I am talking about the couple of years. The fact that the Goalies have saved his a$$ a lot of times does not make him any better.

49 minutes ago, habs rule said:

don't twist what I said, I am talking about the couple of years. The fact that the Goalies have saved his a$$ a lot of times does not make him any better.

Sounded like referring to recent play and last three years 43-50-44pts dosent sound like a washed up dude quite yet. I agree he should be 2nd pairing and 20minute max guy now and aint getting quicker. But if he adds more offense and Price covers for the odd breakaway or him getting beat to the outside, its all good isn't it? I actually think his footspeed may lead to him getting hurt and he already has been smoked several times.

But, it is early and maybe he is just warming up.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sounded like referring to recent play and last three years 43-50-44pts dosent sound like a washed up dude quite yet. I agree he should be 2nd pairing and 20minute max guy now and aint getting quicker. But if he adds more offense and Price covers for the odd breakaway or him getting beat to the outside, its all good isn't it? I actually think his footspeed may lead to him getting hurt and he already has been smoked several times.

But, it is early and maybe he is just warming up.

I hope you are right but time waits for no man, except Gordie Howe.

I have to admit that the day the trade was announced, I was pissed. Having had time to digest the trade and more importantly seen him with my own eyes, I have to say that for the next 5 years, I believe this trade is a good one! Obviously, once you go past that 5 year window, then Nashville gets the upper hand, but by then, our Habs will have won a cup or two. (keeping my fingers crossed) ;)

I love what I've seen from Weber up to now. Like many of you have mentioned, he's gonna help turn Beaulieu into a bonafide top 2 d-man in the NHL. He has a steadiness to him that I find is contagious with the other players. Let's not forget that he brings some much needed SIZE and toughness to this team. Also his shot is just as hard as PK's, except that Shea is more accurate!

I just wish Weber was 28 or 29 years old...then we'd get to see him in his prime for a few more years! ;)

I'd really like us to move beyond the night-by-night Subban/Weber comparisons, which seem totally beside the point to me, since one game proves nothing about anyone; but obviously this is just wishful thinking on my part.

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd really like us to move beyond the night-by-night Subban/Weber comparisons, which seem totally beside the point to me, since one game proves nothing about anyone; but obviously this is just wishful thinking on my part.

Weber would understand that sentiment better than Subban.

A least I got my Subban fill via commercials. And imo I feel like I'm watching a hockey team again. Instead of a reality soap.