Carolina Hurricanes vs. Montreal Canadiens | November 24th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

Whatever the case may be, I don't think we can go into the playoffs with our current configuration at C. Galy is too young and insufficiently dominant to be the sole offensive threat from the C position come playoff time. Given that we're "all in" to WIN NOW, I would do whatever it took to correct this by the deadline.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Whatever the case may be, I don't think we can go into the playoffs with our current configuration at C. Galy is too young and insufficiently dominant to be the sole offensive threat from the C position come playoff time. Given that we're "all in" to WIN NOW, I would do whatever it took to correct this by the deadline.

I would support selling the future in order to give us the best chance at winning now 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
11 minutes ago, illWill said:

I would support selling the future in order to give us the best chance at winning now 

I think I would too

Hudon 4pts in 6 NHL games, even with limited icetime...is he for real and can keep the offense up?

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

"I would support selling the future in order to give us the best chance at winning now 

I think I would too"

So who do you think we should trade Sergachev to...Ducks, Coyotes, Buffalo, or maybe Oilers?

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Hudon 4pts in 6 NHL games, even with limited icetime...is he for real and can keep the offense up?

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

"I would support selling the future in order to give us the best chance at winning now 

I think I would too"

So who do you think we should trade Sergachev to...Ducks, Coyotes, Buffalo, or maybe Oilers?

Ha! Yeah, everyone talks about "winning now," but people typically blanch when forced to confront the possible cost.

At the other end, when a team goes "all in" to win, and then - as probability suggests will be the likeliest outcome - fails to win, it's not long before the very same people who were demanding that the team go "all in" start calling for the GM's head.

But keeping in mind that we're really talking about getting a 2nd-line C, probably on an expiring contract, Sergachev probably be an unreasonable return, I'd think.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DON said:

I am assuming Sergachev is untouchable because he will be a roster player as early as next season and needs to fill the imminent departure of Markov whenever that is. But at the same time I haven't seen a Cup since I hit puberty, so if I was the GM I might be enticed to gamble on that if the return was good enough. 

Every other prospect and pick is on the table for me to bring in the pieces needed. 

27 minutes ago, illWill said:

I am assuming Sergachev is untouchable because he will be a roster player as early as next season and needs to fill the imminent departure of Markov whenever that is. But at the same time I haven't seen a Cup since I hit puberty, so if I was the GM I might be enticed to gamble on that if the return was good enough. 

Every other prospect and pick is on the table for me to bring in the pieces needed. 

Yup.  Sergachev is untouchable.  Everyone else in the AHL is up for grabs.  MTL needs to make 2 big moves:

- 2nd Line centre who can win faceoffs

- Top 4 defenceman

Get it done MB.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha! Yeah, everyone talks about "winning now," but people typically blanch when forced to confront the possible cost.

At the other end, when a team goes "all in" to win, and then - as probability suggests will be the likeliest outcome - fails to win, it's not long before the very same people who were demanding that the team go "all in" start calling for the GM's head.

But keeping in mind that we're really talking about getting a 2nd-line C, probably on an expiring contract, Sergachev probably be an unreasonable return, I'd think.

Agree, but some also talking about adding/needing a top 4 d-man and 1/4 way through the season you likely would be looking for more than just a rental. And whatever it would cost to get a top six centre, it wont be Desharnais or Emelin or some other spare part...it will be something of pretty darn high value or why else would anyone part with a top six centre?

Also, many have fallin in love with Sergachev and say he is untouchable, when he is just a solid prospect and many high pick d-men simply end up being mediocre #3 or 4 d-men in the end. You know and always say most fans overvalue prospects which I agree with, when in fact very few end up being impact NHLers. So for a rebuilding team Seragchev may not ever be of higher value than after all the hype and press he has received.

It will take more than prospects and/or picks to land a 2nd line center and a top 4 dman.  Habs are also going to need to shed salary.  Were talking anywhere from 6 to 10 mil in total for any kind of quality at those positions.  So what roster player(s) get dealt to accommodate the cap.  It's basically money in, money out at this point.

2 hours ago, John B said:

It will take more than prospects and/or picks to land a 2nd line center and a top 4 dman.  Habs are also going to need to shed salary.  Were talking anywhere from 6 to 10 mil in total for any kind of quality at those positions.  So what roster player(s) get dealt to accommodate the cap.  It's basically money in, money out at this point.

Meh, DD is a UFA at the end of the year, so is Emelin... they can be used as Money Out pieces to make a trade work.  Obviously they aren't the centrepiece of the deal but can be used as add ons for money out.   Teams will do it IF they are getting what they want in terms of value in other areas of the deal IMO. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Meh, DD is a UFA at the end of the year, so is Emelin... they can be used as Money Out pieces to make a trade work.  Obviously they aren't the centrepiece of the deal but can be used as add ons for money out.   Teams will do it IF they are getting what they want in terms of value in other areas of the deal IMO. 

Emelin has another year, no?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Emelin has another year, no?

Thats correct, he's signed through the 17/18 season. 

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

DD and Emelin money is going to radulov. Prays!

The only UFA's that we have this year are Montoya, Markov, Radulov, Flynn, Desharnais, Terry. That will be 17.5 million coming off the cap if I did my calculations right. Should be enough to sign Radulov but still quite a few players to replace. 

• Upvote 1

I personally see some pretty good players becoming available rather than getting nothing for them in the waiver draft. Several sources have hinted that trading will become quite bullish as teams try to position themselves for the former. I would suggest that this will not be a normal year and there will be a lot more names on the list. Also,  I wouldn't be surprised if the league is rounded out to 32 teams, sooner than later. Just saying.