Montreal Canadiens vs. Detroit Red Wings | November 26th, 2016 | 7:00 EST

Habsfan84

Great for Gallagher to get one after long drought and sweet finish by 27-47 and just another well deserved W for that goalie guy.

Too bad Markov again played 25+minutes.

Guest Stogey24
5 hours ago, DON said:

Great for Gallagher to get one after long drought and sweet finish by 27-47 and just another well deserved W for that goalie guy.

Too bad Markov again played 25+minutes.

I know Beaulieu got hurt, but Markov played 30+ the other night. 

We've seen what happens to him in the playoffs. He can't keep playing huge minutes 

5 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I know Beaulieu got hurt, but Markov played 30+ the other night. 

We've seen what happens to him in the playoffs. He can't keep playing huge minutes 

Yes and it has been coming down 24:54 in 2014, 23:50 last year, 22:05 this year. But still is several shifts on the PK he could cut off if added another top-4 defender (Kulikov or the like) at end of Feb trade deadline. Then also hope Habs can coast into playoffs and Markov could be a healthy scratch for several games.

I thought the game was a total bore, apart from OT and a handful of great saves. It was only five or six years ago I was saying that NHL hockey had never been more exciting. Something has happened. Other than a couple of teams, like TO or Chicago, the product is fundamentally boring all too often. Unless coaching has made a quantum leap in its success at siphoning all life out of the game, the explanation has to be in the way the games are called. We need to get back to the obstruction crackdown of the post-lockout era.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought the game was a total bore, apart from OT and a handful of great saves. It was only five or six years ago I was saying that NHL hockey had never been more exciting. Something has happened. Other than a couple of teams, like TO or Chicago, the product is fundamentally boring all too often. Unless coaching has made a quantum leap in its success at siphoning all life out of the game, the explanation has to be in the way the games are called. We need to get back to the obstruction crackdown of the post-lockout era.

Trim the crap out of goalie gear would make a big difference...I 'assume' would help anyways?

Spit balling;

Maybe not allow blatant shot blocking...remove trapezoid...put red line back in for passes (maybe illogical but?)...penalize icing...all penalties run full time don't end when a goal is scored?

(OH and goalies are allowed to carry puck full length of ice...just cause)

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Personally I found the game to be pretty exciting. Price and Mrazek made some awesome saves during the game that kept the scoring low but it was pretty intense throughout IMO.

Emelin also had another awesome showing, its crazy how good he has been this year and it all started from the World Cup onward. We all saw the training videos of him and Chuck to start the season but I don't think any of us were expecting him to step up his game this much. He earned every right to be playing next to Weber. I'm really pleasantly surprised by him this year. The Weber/Emelin pairing has got to be a pain to play against.

3 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Personally I found the game to be pretty exciting. Price and Mrazek made some awesome saves during the game that kept the scoring low but it was pretty intense throughout IMO.

I thought so too.  I remember some games against Detroit in recent years where some felt they were snoozers that I thought were pretty entertaining.  They're two pretty similar-styled teams and the whole thing just felt like a high-speed chess match with a few big saves on either side thrown in for good measure.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Emelin has played well, but I still think his style is not a compliment to weber. We'd be better with a puck mover there and Emelin-Beaulieu as the third pair. 

Can you suggest a couple realistic puck moving d, that Bergevin should be eyeing up as a rental or regular trade? Kulikov isn't a great puck mover is he? Is Edler still worth $5m/yr? 

15 hours ago, DON said:

Can you suggest a couple realistic puck moving d, that Bergevin should be eyeing up as a rental or regular trade? Kulikov isn't a great puck mover is he? Is Edler still worth $5m/yr? 

Kulikov isn't an offensive defenceman, but he can skate and move the puck out of his end, through the neutral zone and start breakouts effectively.  He's just not a powerplay guy so the points aren't there. 

As for puck moving defencemen of the non-rental variety, there are plenty around the league, but I have no idea who is or isn't available. 

No I wouldn't touch Edler. 

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ya know ChiCuke.. I kinda agree with you. Didn't Gretsky say the other day that he wouldn't fit in very well in today's NHL? Grinding, smothering... easier to stifle play than to do it... hmmm... 

22 hours ago, DON said:

Trim the crap out of goalie gear would make a big difference...I 'assume' would help anyways?

Spit balling;

Maybe not allow blatant shot blocking...remove trapezoid...put red line back in for passes (maybe illogical but?)...penalize icing...all penalties run full time don't end when a goal is scored?

(OH and goalies are allowed to carry puck full length of ice...just cause)

Hahahaha! :-)

Guest Stogey24

Kulikov isn't an offensive defenceman, but he can skate and move the puck out of his end, through the neutral zone and start breakouts effectively.  He's just not a powerplay guy so the points aren't there. 

As for puck moving defencemen of the non-rental variety, there are plenty around the league, but I have no idea who is or isn't available. 

Wisniewski :P

thanks

The only thing to be said for acquiring Edler is that he might be like Larry Murphy or Patrice Brisebois, in the sense of flourishing once removed from an organization that expects them to play a role for which they're poorly suited (in all three cases, the role is that of a #1 defenceman; and in all three cases, those guys were better off as second-pairing D-men).

That said, there is a different school of thought in Vancouver that argues that Edler has regressed so badly because of chronic back issues. And if that's the case, hoo boy, don't touch him with a 10-ft. hockey stick, unless it's a deadline pickup on an expiring contract.