Chucky's next contract

Neech

I think this might be the real Chucky too. So much skill, and his shot has just gotten better. 7 for 7 and I'd be aight with it. Six mill for 7 and I'd be happy.

but if he finishes with 70+ points and another 30 goals, we'll be looking at closer to 7 mill. Still not going to complain! Means we got a gem

Guest Stogey24

Florida’s Aleksander Barkov (Six years, $35.4 million, $5.9 million cap hit), Calgary’s Johnny Gaudreau (Six years, $40.5 million, $6.75 million cap hit) and Sean Monahan (Seven years, $44.625 million, $6.375 million cap hit), and Mark Scheifele (Eight years, $49 million, $6.125 million cap hit).

Dreger thinks 6 year 39 million is plausible. He also said that may even be on the high side. All depends on how he finishes the year  

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I think you guys are very optimistic. If he gets 70+ with 30+ goals expect him to get 8+ Million per year.

That's what I'm afraid of, especially with Radu being the best catalyst on the line night and night out.  

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Florida’s Aleksander Barkov (Six years, $35.4 million, $5.9 million cap hit), Calgary’s Johnny Gaudreau (Six years, $40.5 million, $6.75 million cap hit) and Sean Monahan (Seven years, $44.625 million, $6.375 million cap hit), and Mark Scheifele (Eight years, $49 million, $6.125 million cap hit).

Those guys skipped their bridge deal and signed a big second contract.  I expect Chucky expects to get compensated on his next deal for his small current deal.

Guest Stogey24

I'm not really sure previous contracts give you any sort of leverage in negotiations.

I don't really see him playing hardball either.

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Dreger thinks 6 year 39 million is plausible. He also said that may even be on the high side. All depends on how he finishes the year  

None of those are true comparables because they are all 4 or 5 years of RFA status and 1 or 2 years of UFA

Because of the Bridge deal, you are getting 2 years of RFA status only with Chuck and then UFA years.

More UFA years means more money... its gonna cost more. 

38 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I'm not really sure previous contracts give you any sort of leverage in negotiations.

I don't really see him playing hardball either.

The leverage is the number of RFA years vs UFA years, so yes the previous contract is a factor. 

12 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I think this might be the real Chucky too. So much skill, and his shot has just gotten better. 7 for 7 and I'd be aight with it. Six mill for 7 and I'd be happy.

but if he finishes with 70+ points and another 30 goals, we'll be looking at closer to 7 mill. Still not going to complain! Means we got a gem

I think its the real chucky too.  Consider that this isn't a 20 game thing... its 50 games of Point Per Game play going back to last season. 

6 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I think you guys are very optimistic. If he gets 70+ with 30+ goals expect him to get 8+ Million per year.

A 70+ point season won't cost $8 million.  There are a total of 12 forwards in the league that make that type of money and Galchenyuk's not in the same echelon as the likes of Benn, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin, etc.  (And most of those deals were UFA years only, Galchenyuk's won't be.)

I wrote about his situation back in August.  I had him around $6.3M on a six year deal, trending towards $6.5M/$6.6M for longer terms.  That was based on a projection of 65-70 points for this season which it looks like he's going to be around.  I don't think it should be much more than that based on what he's shown so far.

One question is the extent to which his torrid pace is partly due to Radulov. That's to say, maybe Radu is the perfect W for him - doing all the gritty work along the boards, feeding him great passes - and that without Radu he reverts to being a 60 point guy. Not stating this as fact, just wondering. Frankly I think we should lock up both of 'em and call that our top duo for the next 3-4 years.

Cant comment on $$, but would prefer to see Galchenyuk sign nice long deal, 7- 8 yrs. And a shorter one (3yrs) with Radulov, but if he keeps impressing he will likely get much more offered...by someone. 

Say 7 x 6.6, so a $46.2 deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Mark Scheifele deal would be very fair to both teams, and it was what I would aim for if I were Bergevin. Similar potential, production, and age at the time of signing. I would look for a 8-year contract at up to 6.25M per season. Maybe a front-loaded contract if he wants to cash-in right away. 

That would solidify his spot on the core of the Montreal Canadiens for a very long time, he would be very well compensated while still allowing the Canadiens to have the cap space of build a true contender, and he would not be putting a tremendous amount of pressure on himself by signing for money he cannot live up to (i.e. unlike Subban). Similar to what Markov has done by playing so many years now for 5.75M when he easily could have earned more.

• Upvote 1