Montreal Canadiens vs. Anaheim Ducks | November 29th, 2016 | 10:00 EST

Habsfan84

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Poor Price, he pretty much needs to pitch a shut out every night, or score a goal or 2. 

The offense is pathetic, a lot of players making big money and not producing anything. 

After the 9-0-1 start, they are pretty much a 500 team, looking like last years bunch minus Price stealing games for them. 

Price played great no doubt about it but both of Anaheims goals were lucky bounces and we missed the net like 8 times last night. It's not like we got blown out. We didn't have any luck.

Honestly I get to hear a lot of this negativity from my leaf buddies who go on and on about how the Habs are nothing without Price and that's expected but hearing the same thing from Habs fans over and over is getting really annoying.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Chris said:

Poor Price, he pretty much needs to pitch a shut out every night, or score a goal or 2. 

The offense is pathetic, a lot of players making big money and not producing anything. 

After the 9-0-1 start, they are pretty much a 500 team, looking like last years bunch minus Price stealing games for them. 

I can summarize that for you...:cry_smile:

5 shots & 4 hits for Emelin and defense played better as a group, Barberio even had 3 shots. Pacioretty & Gallagher both 4 shots and nice to see both rewarded on Shaws goal at least. Radulov 6 shots & Desharnais put 5 pucks on net also.

Tough luck for Price on goals, didn't help for Markov to knock Prices stick away on 1st goal.

Then Shaw throws a childish temper tantrum after a correct hooking call to kill any chance Habs had at the end. 

3 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Price played great no doubt about it but both of Anaheims goals were lucky bounces and we missed the net like 8 times last night. It's not like we got blown out. We didn't have any luck.

Honestly I get to hear a lot of this negativity from my leaf buddies who go on and on about how the Habs are nothing without Price and that's expected but hearing the same thing from Habs fans over and over is getting really annoying.

You can hardly blame fans that feel this way, as half of our top 6 have been producing next to nothing 23 games into this season:

Pacioretty: 5g

Gallagher: 5g

Plekanec:  1g

We're not going to win on a regular basis if these 3 continue to produce at such a pathetic rate.  Pacioretty is on pace for 18 goals ffs...and his one and only purpose on that ice is scoring goals.  Plex, although he really does need to pick it up, does a heck of a job preventing goals on most nights at least...but having only one line that can score reliably is not enough.  And then you have our D corps, desperately in need of an upgrade in the top 4, that struggle mightily to clear the zone and give up a dangerously high number of quality chances against...only the brilliance of Price erases many of those blunders on the scoresheet.  So whether you like it or not, Carey Price's importance to the Habs cannot be overstated given the current situation...this team would be a bottom feeder without him.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

You can hardly blame fans that feel this way, as half of our top 6 have been producing next to nothing 23 games into this season:

Pacioretty: 5g

Gallagher: 5g

Plekanec:  1g

We're not going to win on a regular basis if these 3 continue to produce at such a pathetic rate.  Pacioretty is on pace for 18 goals ffs...and his one and only purpose on that ice is scoring goals.  Plex, although he really does need to pick it up, does a heck of a job preventing goals on most nights at least...but having only one line that can score reliably is not enough.  And then you have our D corps, desperately in need of an upgrade in the top 4, that struggle mightily to clear the zone and give up a dangerously high number of quality chances against...only the brilliance of Price erases many of those blunders on the scoresheet.  So whether you like it or not, Carey Price's importance to the Habs cannot be overstated given the current situation...this team would be a bottom feeder without him.

It's not that I blame the fans for not wanting more of our top forwards to start scoring, it's the fact that it's the same old song and dance after every loss acting like we got blown out of the water, when in reality it was a very close game that was decided by a couple lucky bounces. Gibson l

played just as well as Price last night.

Do I think that some of our core players need to step up? Sure but Max played a decent game yesterday and has started shootings more often which is great unfortunately he missed the net a couple times as did others. Right now we are at the top of the league in scoring goals.

Does our defence need help? Sure another top 4 guy to play with Weber would be great but we are not there yet maybe down the road.

• Upvote 1

I was at the game last night and am now watching a replay of it since it happens to be on TV. 

I agree that Gibson was probably even better than Price last night and that things could have been different. With that being said, while I'm always a huge defender of our team and players, I don't feel as though our forwards corps is where it needs to be when compared with other contending teams. It's not that Price is all there is to our team, and I agree that it's stupid to complain about having the best player in the world at that position; as if that's a bad thing. I don't on the other hand understand how this team is supposed to win as many games as it needs to in order to win a cup when the team, on paper is outmatched by many teams with a worse record than us. 

It seems counterintuitive to think that way because every team has less points than us right now but it does feel like in a playoff series at least one of the four teams would figure out a way to keep us off the score sheet as it stands right now. 

I think it is a problem, and I would be ready for a little bit of a shakeup in the forward group. On the other hand, a lot of our forwards are slumping and it seems realistic to think that things will finally break open, especially for either Pacioretty or Gallagher. 

Last night's game was fairly odd. I was introducing a young Californian to the game so I was a little bit distracted but although there were a lot of shots, it didn't feel as though we had many outstanding chances. If we scored earlier in the game, it would have been different and I agree that we pushed hard early in the game. The power play was indeed useless when we needed it though. I also felt as though Anaheim's second goal was weak. 

Unfortunately for me, I've been attending all Kings games and Ducks games since our poor streak in California started. I've yet to see a win. I won't be able to attend the Kings game on Sunday though so I'm sure they will win. 

On 11/29/2016 at 0:48 PM, Commandant said:

Yes if we assume that everything goes wrong, this team will be in trouble.

negative stuff that has precedent.

I mean we can ignore the fact Markov and Pleks have fallen off towards the end of the past few seasons... but sticking our head in the sand probably is a bad move.

Also does anyone believe Emelin can stand up against the teams we are going to have to beat in the playoffs?

23 minutes ago, bbp said:

I mean we can ignore the fact Markov and Pleks have fallen off towards the end of the past few seasons... but sticking our head in the sand probably is a bad move.

Also does anyone believe Emelin can stand up against the teams we are going to have to beat in the playoffs?

So Desharnais's 60point season, Pacioretty 39goal season, 30g season for Gallagher & Galchenyuk, Plekanec is still one of best defensive centres in the NHL, Habs got to semi finals with Desharnais-Plekanec as top two centres, Price has MVP...is that also the type of precedent you are talking about? Emelin plays big in bigger games it seems, so why not believe he keeps playing well?

Come on Eeyore cheer up!

• Upvote 1

Pleks , DD even Pacs, i don't see any of them coming close to those career highs again. DD and Pleks look awful. 6 mill on pace for 20 points. Not good. 

I thought Gomez was the top center when they made the ECF, but maybe i'm wrong. 

I like Emelin's game, i think he is one of the few who actually plays better in big games. 

The team  has 11 regulation goals in the last 6 games. It sounds like Flynn will be back, so reuniting the 2nd best line seems good, Danault Mitchell and Flynn put up some points. 

How about we start a thread dissecting and trashing the other 29 team's flaws? Or are they all perfectly built teams that execute consistently? Cause last time I checked (right now) the Habs are on top of the league standings, flaws and all. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DON said:

So Desharnais's 60point season, Pacioretty 39goal season, 30g season for Gallagher & Galchenyuk, Plekanec is still one of best defensive centres in the NHL, Habs got to semi finals with Desharnais-Plekanec as top two centres, Price has MVP...is that also the type of precedent you are talking about? Emelin plays big in bigger games it seems, so why not believe he keeps playing well?

Come on Eeyore cheer up!

Oh I believe in a number of our players and have always loved Plekanec.... but he had an incredibly terrible end to last season I mean the man is 34 years old there is going to be a slow down. My problem with Emelin is his skating versus teams like Tampa, plus we've seen five years of Emelin and despite him playing some good hockey this year I'm hesitant to believe this is Emelin and not just a run of good form.

Obviously I'd love for Pleks/Markov to be able to hold up for the playoffs and Emelin come up big... just logically it is hard to believe it will.

1 hour ago, bbp said:

Oh I believe in a number of our players and have always loved Plekanec.... but he had an incredibly terrible end to last season I mean the man is 34 years old there is going to be a slow down. My problem with Emelin is his skating versus teams like Tampa, plus we've seen five years of Emelin and despite him playing some good hockey this year I'm hesitant to believe this is Emelin and not just a run of good form.

Obviously I'd love for Pleks/Markov to be able to hold up for the playoffs and Emelin come up big... just logically it is hard to believe it will.

Maybe Emelin altered his off-season training and was never in as good shape as he is now, knee may be 100% healed and he is now an acceptable 2nd pairing guy? I wouldn't say him on 1st pairing is ideal. And Markov's icetime has been reduced again this year, but we all know 20 minutes/gm is where he should be, not 22 and Habs could use another top 4 d-man, or simply be willing to live with Beaulieu/Pateryn killing more penalties to allow the old guy more rest, same for Plekanec, let Byron-Mitchell-Flynn kill more penalties.

22 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

If MTL goes 1-4 on this road trip I wonder what the 'pro' Habs' fans will be saying?

Many Hab fans would say that sucks; oh well, lets kick NJ-Aves-Bruins butt at home then will be revenge game vs San Jose at the Bell Centre. 

Why, what do you Leaf fans say after a bad roadtrip,  ..."as expected"?<_<

13 hours ago, illWill said:

last time I checked (right now) the Habs are on top of the league standings, flaws and all. 

Yep, guess 1st over all is not enough...and like Scott said, the Ducks game was close, and no bounces...

I've been wanting Pleks and DD gone for a couple years, but I have to admit, they have both played well the last few games, just not putting up points. Patch has been better too, all the whipping boys are trying hard to turn it around...and Habs are still first among these struggles.

I can't imagine why anyone would worry about Emelin being able to compete in the playoffs, that makes no sense, the guy is having a great season, and is steady like a big tough rock this year, personally, I love that pairing with Weber, they can physically stop the opponent's puck possession in our zone, a pair unlike we have had in years...

Relax... We're in 1st...

Guest Stogey24
27 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Yep, guess 1st over all is not enough...and like Scott said, the Ducks game was close, and no bounces...in 

I've been wanting Pleks and DD gone for a couple years, but I have to admit, they have both played well the last few games, just not putting up points. Patch has been better too, all the whipping boys are trying hard to turn it around...and Habs are still first among these struggles.

I can't imagine why anyone would worry about Emelin being able to compete in the playoffs, that makes no sense, the guy is having a great season, and is steady like a big tough rock this year, personally, I love that pairing with Weber, they can physically stop the opponent's puck possession in our zone, a pair unlike we have had in years...

Relax... We're in 1st...

Galchenyuk

Plekanec 

Desharnais 

Is that the weakest centre depth in the league? Gotta be damn close.

For a team that's apparently "all in", that's pretty scary.  

I've watched basically all the games this year, and I understand the game well enough to know this team is not a legit contender.

Call me negative, or what ever you want  but this team won't win a cup the way this roster is laid out. 

I've generally been an optimist over the years, but I really like Stogey24's point about the team having alarming structural deficiencies for a team that is supposed to be 'all in.' If you accept, as I do, that Pleks is washed up as a top-6 C, then we still have a major weakness up front that is probably not sustainable over four grueling series. And there is near unanimity on the need for a top-4 defenceman. I think the plan was predicated on Plex not regressing, and that they'd add a d-man along the way.  Now they have two major pieces to acquire. It'll be a challenge. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that this team has been pretty healthy so far. How will it cope with 1-2 significant Injuries? I don't pretend to know, but we'll eventually find out.

15 hours ago, bbp said:

Sure but you ignored any positive precedents and only focused on negative.

And yeah its likely they wont win... cause there are 30 teams and one winner... but i prefer to have some hope.that price will.get hot at.the right time.of year.  our top line will continue to.score.  max will get it going and bergevin will supplement the team at the trade deadline.  but  thats what i hope

14 hours ago, bbp said:

The guys playing well are a run of good form.

The guys playing poorly are never goiing to be able to get it going.

Ok.

As for markov... they are playing him way less this year.  2 minutes on average per game.  thats gonna help.

55 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Galchenyuk

Plekanec 

Desharnais 

Is that the weakest centre depth in the league? Gotta be damn close.

For a team that's apparently "all in", that's pretty scary.  

I've watched basically all the games this year, and I understand the game well enough to know this team is not a legit contender.

Call me negative, or what ever you want  but this team won't win a cup the way this roster is laid out. 

OK, you generally are too pessimistic or fickle.

So you called Penquins to win cup last year or even be a contender?

Habs are 6th in NHL scoring, with game in hand on those above, with the 'damn weakest centre depth' in NHL. That is pretty scary for rest of league?

But they do have one of highest scoring centres, one of best defending centres, a young 3rd line centre and a solid skating 4th line centre...for now.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Habs are 6th in NHL scoring, with game in hand on those above, with the 'damn weakest centre depth' in NHL. That is pretty scary for rest of league?

But they do have one of highest scoring centres, one of best defending centres, a young 3rd line centre and a solid skating 4th line centre...for now.

The Pens made major changes and were a force in the second half. Once they finally lost their collective boner for that clown Fleury, they had to be rated a serious threat.

The good news here is that Max and Gally are NOT going to struggle all season. These are proven performers. The X-factor is the loss of Subban's playmaking and its effect on their game...but I have to think that these guys will eventually adjust.

The bad news remains the difficulty of winning a Cup with only one scoring C - who is 24 with no experience as a go-to playoff guy, and the blue line problems. These aren't insoluble issues, but I wouldn't be too confident going into the dance with this exact roster.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

The Habs are 6th(and steadily falling) in league scoring because they had players like Mitchell, Danault, and Byron all scoring at an unsustainable rates. Not because 1 goal Plekanec and 3 goal Desharnais were tearing it up.  

Pittsburgh is a cup winning franchise in this decade. The Habs are not.

When you have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hagelin, hornqvist, Lettang. You have the depth and skill to do damage. Not mention the fact that after Pitt fired Johnson, they turned their game on. 

17 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

The Habs are 6th(and steadily falling) in league scoring because they had players like Mitchell, Danault, and Byron all scoring at an unsustainable rates. Not because 1 goal Plekanec and 3 goal Desharnais were tearing it up.  

So the 4th line scoring a bunch is not sustainable but Plekanec and Desharnais not scoring is?