Pacioretty Played All of November with Broken Foot

Commandant

6 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Well it's December and he's still dragging ass. 

Hopefully that is the reason though 

I haven't seen him dragging ass... working hard the last couple games.. two goals and an assist in LA? Solid tonight both ends. 

Well, that certainly explains his mediocrity. Reminds me a bit of when Recchi tried to play through pneumonia...he sucked, but you had to sort of respect the perverse determination.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This shouldn't be happening in today's NHL. If your foot is broken you should not play. You are a liability to yourself and others.

I'm sure this sort of behaviour is tacitly encouraged under the Bergevin regime.   

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

Is that the reason for the struggles?

He still produced with it, just not the shots/goals we are used to and as per usual, the all-knowing fickle fan crowd overreacted.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This shouldn't be happening in today's NHL. If your foot is broken you should not play. You are a liability to yourself and others.

How so, he was still on a 60 point pace, just lacked the finish?

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Players have the choice to play or not play.... I don't see a problem, its not a head injury where their decision making might be effected. 

13 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Well it's December and he's still dragging ass. 

Hopefully that is the reason though 

You the guy has 12 points in the last 18 games? That's since November 1st, a timeframe where he played 14 games with a broken foot. Moreover, he has played 90% of those games with 51 or 14, not with 27.

I say Pac is doing pretty good.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Players have the choice to play or not play.... I don't see a problem, its not a head injury where their decision making might be effected. 

Players can choose to play. Medical doctors should be independent of the teams and telling them they are not fit to play. 

Trying to play hockey on a fractured foot makes it pretty clear your decision making is messed up. 

Also this isn't some heroic attempt to play for the team in the playoffs for a chance to win the Cup (which is also dumb but whatever it is at least explainable). This was at the start of the season. He could have sat out the first month and healed. 

I can't stand stories like this. Either it's a way to excuse poor performance or it's a player literally risking their long term career because they think that's the definition of being a great athlete. If Max broke his leg in November because he was skating on a fracture the team was hiding just because, "players want to play" nobody would be praising his guts. They would be asking why the NHL allows this. Simple. It's the same league that watched a concussed player hit a referee in a daze tell a doctor they were still good to play and everyone focused on hitting the referee instead of the fact he had a concussion and was almost allowed to stay in the game. 

I thought we were over the days of treating players like fighting dogs but guess not. 

H

Just now, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Players can choose to play. Medical doctors should be independent of the teams and telling them they are not fit to play. 

Trying to play hockey on a fractured foot makes it pretty clear your decision making is messed up. 

Also this isn't some heroic attempt to play for the team in the playoffs for a chance to win the Cup (which is also dumb but whatever it is at least explainable). This was at the start of the season. He could have sat out the first month and healed. 

I can't stand stories like this. Either it's a way to excuse poor performance or it's a player literally risking their long term career because they think that's the definition of being a great athlete. If Max broke his leg in November because he was skating on a fracture the team was hiding just because, "players want to play" nobody would be praising his guts. They would be asking why the NHL allows this. Simple. It's the same league that watched a concussed player hit a referee in a daze tell a doctor they were still good to play and everyone focused on hitting the referee instead of the fact he had a concussion and was almost allowed to stay in the game. 

I thought we were over the days of treating players like fighting dogs but guess not. 

1) You don't know what the doctor told him or didn't tell him.  he made the choice.  At the end of the day players get to make choices.

2) He still produced at a near 60 point pace despite the injury, so it seems to me that even if he was less than 100%, he was still effective. 

3) I don't see a concussion the same as playing through other types of injuries; because of the mental capacity being impaired. 

Just now, Commandant said:

1) You don't know what the doctor told him or didn't tell him.  he made the choice.  At the end of the day players get to make choices.

2) He still produced at a near 60 point pace despite the injury, so it seems to me that even if he was less than 100%, he was still effective. 

3) I don't see a concussion the same as playing through other types of injuries; because of the mental capacity being impaired. 

1. That's the problem. The players will always choose to play over their health. That's why we have doctors to evaluate. If the doctors were independent and not on team payroll you would see a lot more players told to stay off the ice. 

2. So either this is a Stone excuse or he still risked serious injury. 

3. Would you have been fine finding out Carey played 11 games in November on a hairline fracture in his ankle? Be real. This is, "Nothing bad happened so let's act like it's okay until something bad happens"

I agree about letting the doctors make these decisions, players don't have the required knowledge to make the decision, and there is too much external pressure on players from management, the media, and the hockey culture in general to play no matter what.

However in this case I would guess that the doctors did evaluate that Pacioretty was well enough to play. Otherwise they would not have cleared him, and would have been able to make that decision. Or Pacioretty never spoke with doctors, and kept it to himself and his coach. 

If pacioretty played, he was cleared to play. Simple as that. This shouldn't be a debate imo. Therrien would have 'sat' him if he thought he wasn't capable. And pacioretty played fine, just a lost step.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Pacioretty defended Therrien's system. 

Sound mind? 

Missed this season's games?

I think the system has been pretty damn good this year, haven't seen anything other than the debacle in Columbus that makes me think Mtl doesn't play a sound game all way round.

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Players can choose to play. Medical doctors should be independent of the teams and telling them they are not fit to play. Doctors are independent and are required to be very objective, you should know that.

Trying to play hockey on a fractured foot makes it pretty clear your decision making is messed up. Your medical degree is from Recchi U perhaps?

Also this isn't some heroic attempt to play for the team in the playoffs for a chance to win the Cup (which is also dumb but whatever it is at least explainable). This was at the start of the season. He could have sat out the first month and healed. Thanks Dr. Machine.

Either it's a way to excuse poor performance or it's a player literally risking their long term career because they think that's the definition of being a great athlete. You must really have that medicine stuff down pat? If Max broke his leg in November because he was skating on a fracture the team was hiding just because, "players want to play" nobody would be praising his guts. Who you trying to kid Doc, many would be praising his effort? 

I thought we were over the days of treating players like fighting dogs but guess not. Why are you smoking Doc, remember...puff puff then pass?

11 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This isn't the decision of an individual. It's made under the guidance of team doctors, trainers, coaching staff and ultimately, the player.

I have a feeling it was his plant foot which explains why the shot numbers were down.