We should trade Sergachev

Neech

This just seems like the logical answer to me, and I'm one for letting prospects develop.  His prime won't coincide with our core's, and he's the most valuable trade chip on the farm.  Packaging him with a 1st and other young players/bad contracts could net us a top 6 C.  Shouldn't we go all in right now?

The thing is I find prospects tend to develop better when they have a strong core to help them. Sergachev is 1-2 years away, (probably 1) at which point pacioretty/Weber/petry/radulov?/Price will be our vets. Awesome vets. 

Galchenyuk/Gallagher will be prime, lehkonen, mccarron, juulsen etc will be young talent. If you ask me sergachev is great timing for a top prospect. If he bottoms out he is a serviceable 4-5 defence man if he tops out he is a Norris contender. 

Better get a big return

I would try everything I can to move Juulsen instead of Sergachev in a package, but I see where you're coming from with this.

I'm not against it if the return is top notch.

I would not move Sergachev unless the offer is absolutely mind blowing. 

He'll be in the NHL next year, He'll be a top pairing defence within 3 years. 

That absolutely coincides with the age of galchenyuk, gallagher, lehkonen, danault, shaw, hitting their prime, Max still being productive, guys like Markov gone and needing to be replaced, Weber backtracking a little, and Carey Price will still be great.  So the number 1 d will be exactly what we need. 

Lets not be the Leafs of the last 40 years, and trade away our top prospects

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He'll be in the NHL next year, He'll be a top pairing defence within 3 years. 

We have no way of knowing this.  He could just as easily not be ready next year, and we all know that D-men are slower to develop. 

Patch on the wrong side of 30, Radulov and Weber starting to get long in the tooth, Markov and Pleks gone.  The guys in their prime - the Gallies, Lekhonen, and maybe other players from the farm - don't constitute much of a core at that point.  If Bergevin can significantly add to the core without giving up Sergachev I'm all for it, but you've got to give to get.

33 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I'm not against it if the return is top notch.

Would a player like Duchene be good enough?

4 minutes ago, Neech said:

Would a player like Duchene be good enough?

Very tough call.  The problem would be the money.  Desharnais would have to be included, that's for sure.

But as much as I like Sergachev and understand that he represents the future of our D corps,  if he's the one to sacrifice for a shot at the 25th... then let's go.
Now, is Duchene enough for a Cup ?  He definitely has skills and a lot of offense to offer, that's for sure.

Tough call.

Honestly there aren't a lot of players I'd move him for. 

The only guy who would really get my interest (and might even be available, though i don't think he is) would be Jon Tavares.

Short of that I wouldn't be moving him.

sure there is no guarantee he's in the NHL next year, but there is also no guarantee your trade brings a cup, and no guarantee we don't win one without trading him.  You can talk about my plan having no guarantees and thats fine, it doesn't... but neither does any plan. 

Tavares signed long term ... then yes sign me up on moving shergachev!

But we need look no further then provorov in philly to think shergachev doesn't have a huge Ceiling... it's a young mans game and tonnes of young defEnders have made the jump

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Tavares signed long term ... then yes sign me up on moving shergachev!

But we need look no further then provorov in philly to think shergachev doesn't have a huge Ceiling... it's a young mans game and tonnes of young defEnders have made the jump

Provorov didn't make the jump last year as a 18-year old... not sure what your point is here?  

As for the question, what do we trade Sergachev for?? Any player can be traded, I'll trade Carey Price to the Bruins if they gave us Rask, Pastrnak, and Bergeron in return... 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

Provorov didn't make the jump last year as a 18-year old... not sure what your point is here?  

As for the question, what do we trade Sergachev for?? Any player can be traded, I'll trade Carey Price to the Bruins if they gave us Rask, Pastrnak, and Bergeron in return... 

Provorov made the jump as a 19 year old... which is exactly what Sergachev will be next year. 

36 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

Price to the Bruins, that's crazy talk.

15 hours ago, CerebusClone said:

Meaning shergachev can and may play a significant role on this team as early as next season... 

13 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Meaning shergachev can and may play a significant role on this team as early as next season... 

Ok. I understood your statement differently :P  Seemed you were saying Sergachev doesn't seem to have a high ceiling relatively to what Provorov is doing in Philly ...

21 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Your talking best case scenario. Also how one d-man breaks into NHL has absolutely zero to do with another doing likewise. 

16 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Obviously....

The point is a lot of NHL defenders are making the team at an earlier age then years past... is all I'm saying 

A lot is stretching is, but you do have Chychrun, Provonov, Hanifin, Ekblad, and Carlo all playing at 18/19/20. Sergachev could certainly join them, but you also got guys like Brady Skjei who are making their NHL debut now at 22 because that's when he was finally ready. 

I guess another question is, Sergachev could play a full NHL season next year, but would he be doing it as a top four defenceman? Or would he be doing it as a guy playing third pairing but totally not ready for major assignments or PK minutes and needing major bail outs by his D partner (who would be a top four guy playing less minutes to babysit Sergachev)? So even though he's playing, he might not be a guy you commit 20 minutes a game to.

Due to the Subban trade, instead of having maybe 8 years of an elite #1 D man, this organization is now looking at about half that. Therefore we will need one to emerge with the next bit. Since we're unlikely to draft another defenceman with the pedigree any time soon, it would be organizationally foolish to trade Sergachev.

• Upvote 1

I admit I would feel awful seeing him go, he's our most exciting prospect since Chucky. It definitely feels like we've shortened our window, and I'm skeptical of how we'll cope when Markov finally winds down.  I highly doubt Sergachev would be able to fill that hole in a couple of years.   

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Due to the Subban trade, instead of having maybe 8 years of an elite #1 D man, this organization is now looking at about half that. Therefore we will need one to emerge with the next bit. Since we're unlikely to draft another defenceman with the pedigree any time soon, it would be organizationally foolish to trade Sergachev.

Nutshell...

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Lots of assumptions and nonsense. So Weber will only be a #1 elite d-man for 4 more years, so in those 4 years Bergevin cant trade for any d-men and Sergachev-Juulsen-Mete all will not be NHL calibre when they are 23 or 24? So what does that have to do with Weber trade or who is #1 d-man for the Habs in 4 or 8 yrs. Really don't see your logic, other than bringing up your man-crush for that ex-hab.