Called Up: Nikita Scherbak and Sven Andrighetto

Commandant

been waiting to see nikita in the lineup with the big club.  I would be happy to see him get another year in the minors developing but if injuries require a call up and he's ready then play the lad...  this kid has another gear!  and he will put it on display verses the leafs for sure, bet on it.

Scherbak is lost on defense, so I bet coach will quickly find a nice spot on the bench for him and he will be stapled there for much of game no doubt.

But like his size and skill in the offensive zone.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Scherbak is lost on defense, so I bet coach will quickly find a nice spot on the bench for him and he will be stapled there for much of game no doubt.

But like his size and skill in the offensive zone.

sadly true.  The part of his game that needs the most improvement for him to find a spot in the big club one day.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Hopefully they ordered these so that Andrighetto's is classified as an emergency call-up, allowing him to be sent down without waivers afterwards.

Being French and Habs needing players, Andrighetto in waiver purgatory, so kinda thought Audette or Matteau might of got the call instead.

Just finished listening to an audio clip from TSN 690 where they interviewed a reporter from Nfld. who follows the Ice Caps. According to this guy, Scherbak is definitely not ready for the NHL. He still makes bone headed plays and that's at the AHL level! His defense is really suspect and for that reason, I don't expect to see him get much ice time against the Leafs. I really hope the kid can work on his defensive game in the near future, cause I really like his offensive upside!

22 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Just finished listening to an audio clip from TSN 690 where they interviewed a reporter from Nfld. who follows the Ice Caps. According to this guy, Scherbak is definitely not ready for the NHL. He still makes bone headed plays and that's at the AHL level! His defense is really suspect and for that reason, I don't expect to see him get much ice time against the Leafs. I really hope the kid can work on his defensive game in the near future, cause I really like his offensive upside!

That sounds about right actually.  He's going to be on the fourth line tomorrow so he won't be seeing much ice time anyways but his lack of defensive awareness could still be exposed.

At least we know the Leafs will be icing several kids who also lack defensive awareness but are quite skilled, which may make for a very interesting hockey game...hopefully.:youpi:

On 1/5/2017 at 8:54 PM, DON said:

Being French and Habs needing players, Andrighetto in waiver purgatory, so kinda thought Audette or Matteau might of got the call instead.

I am more worried when we start to get healthy. Nobody is getting through waivers these days. I think McCarron and Scherbak are the only two that are exempt from waivers.. Maybe Dlbair will comment.

McCarron, Scherbak, Carr, are all exempt from waivers. 

Andrighetto has already cleared waivers.  If he is up on an emergency recall, then he can go back down without needing waivers again.  Same with Chris Terry.  If they aren't on emergency recalls, and have been up for 30 days/10 games they need to go on waivers again. 

Johnston is also waivers exempt. 

Whether Terry was on emergency recall or not, he has already passed the 10 games/30 days mark so he'll be eligible.  I thought Andrighetto would have been eligible for waivers the last time they sent him down as he has also gone past 30 days so obviously at least one of the previous recalls was an emergency one without it being listed as one (which makes it harder to guess his actual status).  Bobby Farnham is also waiver exempt as he has yet to hit the 10/30 marks.

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Johnston is also waivers exempt. 

Well that one is a relief, was quite worried he might get plucked up by another team.;)

1 hour ago, DON said:

Well that one is a relief, was quite worried he might get plucked up by another team.;)

Like I keep saying, this team needs a serious upgrade in terms of bottom-6 depth. We can't risk having that clown taking minutes in the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Like I keep saying, this team needs a serious upgrade in terms of bottom-6 depth. We can't risk having that clown taking minutes in the playoffs.

He shouldn't be in the lineup now.  I don't know why he's ahead of Redmond. 

That would make him our 9th defenceman on the depth chart.

Emelin - Weber

Markov - Petry

Beaulieu - Pateryn

Barberio - Redmond

If we need our 9th defenceman in the playoffs... we're in trouble. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Whether Terry was on emergency recall or not, he has already passed the 10 games/30 days mark so he'll be eligible.  I thought Andrighetto would have been eligible for waivers the last time they sent him down as he has also gone past 30 days so obviously at least one of the previous recalls was an emergency one without it being listed as one (which makes it harder to guess his actual status).  Bobby Farnham is also waiver exempt as he has yet to hit the 10/30 marks.

Farnham played 50 games for New jersey according to hockeydb-- Am I missing something?

30 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

Farnham played 50 games for New jersey according to hockeydb-- Am I missing something?

10 games/30 days in the NHL since the last time he was waived. (he was waived by the Habs at the end of training camp). 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

10 games/30 days in the NHL since the last time he was waived. (he was waived by the Habs at the end of training camp). 

Wow-- I for some reason thought once you qualified as NHL player, you would always have to go through waivers. Me Bad.

4 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

Wow-- I for some reason thought once you qualified as NHL player, you would always have to go through waivers. Me Bad.

Once you get enough experience (either in terms of GP or age), you do need to clear waivers annually.  However, when you clear, you become exempt from waivers for a bit, until you play ten NHL games or are on a roster for 30 days.  (Of course there are exceptions such as emergency recalls but that's the basic gist of the rule.)