Capitals @ Canadiens, Jan 9, 19:30 ET

illWill

Plekanec line was best one in this one. Johnson-Farhnam I have seen enough of?

Petry go beat bad a couple times on same move by same guy (just one was off-side).

27:50 for Beaulieu.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What the hell happened to Price? Two stinko goals in the third period of a tight game?! Not gonna cut it.

He's not playing god like, like October.

He's still a 930 goalie on the season (coming into tonight).

Like any player he has strong stretches and slumps....  

Still the entire team kinda fell apart after tying it. 

Price has not been like was from sochi till October 2016. That's a long run of dominance. I really hope he can find that gear again. It was fun to watch him own teams. Habs had a lot of high quality scoring chances. Holtby got into their heads I think. Way to many passes during the PP.

That second Washington goal really let the air out of the balloon for the Habs.  It seemed like as soon as the Caps got the lead back, Montreal seemed resigned to losing and gave up.  We haven't seen that mentality from them very often this year.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That second Washington goal really let the air out of the balloon for the Habs.  It seemed like as soon as the Caps got the lead back, Montreal seemed resigned to losing and gave up.  We haven't seen that mentality from them very often this year.

I think when Price messes the bed, as he did in key moments in the 3rd, the team loses its will to live. As #31 goes, so does the entire team. 

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think when Price messes the bed, as he did in key moments in the 3rd, the team loses its will to live. As #31 goes, so does the entire team. 

He needs more rest. Feels like it's obvious to everyone except Therrien. 

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

A lot of commentators have commented on the effect of the World Cup and the compressed schedule. Price is only 29, but it's definitely possible that his extended stretch of scuffling is due in part to overwork. Whatever it is, that 3rd period was one of the worst performances I've seen from him - it reminded me of Price circa 2009. He was great for the previous two periods, admittedly, but that sort of games costing collapse is unheard of from #31.

12 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

You do realize Price is 16th in games played.

I just think that Washington iced a better team than Montreal last night. Holtby played great, Price played well until it was 2-1. Habs can get away with some wins vs sub par teams like Dallas, Nashville and Toronto, but are going to have difficulty against elite teams while they are missing a third of their lineup. 

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, well...then what's his excuse for relatively poor play? 

He was a 960.goalie in october.  Hes in the 910s now.

Its no different than max having 14 goals in his last 16 games and having a low scoring record before that.

All players including carey price have good and bad moments.

There does not need to be a bigger explanation than that.  Even the best players are human.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, well...then what's his excuse for relatively poor play? 

Strained knee ligament? Believing the hype the press is doling out? Trouble at home? Just not 'in the groove'? Skater injuries putting more pressure on him? 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Doesn't fit the narrative. 

Price played 21 of 27 games in November and December. The whole point of acquiring Al Montoya was to bring in a guy with 25-30 game season experience because Mike Condon was just a rookie Montreal pushed too hard. Montoya played four games in October because Price wasn't ready. That's the only reason he's going to break 20 games this season.

Much like the Canadiens season, October has a tendency to skew the statistics on the Canadiens. You get a much better idea of what this team is when you start counting stats since November. Montreal's record drops to 22nd in the league when you take out October's performance. 6th in goals for, 13th in goals against, 11th best powerplay, 28th best penalty kill. Counting since November puts Max Pacioretty at 24th in scoring in the league with the fourth most goals total. Weber is 22nd in defenceman scoring with 16 points in 32 games and only a +4. Price has played 25 games, two games from playing the third most in the league.

Why, when the Habs already have a very good record due to October's inflation, are they playing Carey Price as much as Nashville is playing Pekka Rinne? As much as Brayden Holtby is playing in Washington? Only two games less than Martin Jones in San Jose? It's pretty obvious why. Michel Therrien pads his stats and then struggles to maintain control as the club runs out of gas before landing into the spring. I should remind folks that in the same time frame last year (November 1st, 2015 - January 10th, 2016), Mike Condon also played 25 games for the Habs. This is what Therrien does with his starting goalies. Nothing changes.

Since November 1st, Carey Price is .923 goaltender. He had a stinker of a December (.899) but is so far looking at a .918 in January after tough games against Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa. Nothing wrong with Price aside from playing very good teams. When something looks wrong, it's fatigue. You can tell it in his motions. But that doesn't fit the narrative. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Price played 21 of 27 games in November and December. The whole point of acquiring Al Montoya was to bring in a guy with 25-30 game season experience because Mike Condon was just a rookie Montreal pushed too hard. Montoya played four games in October because Price wasn't ready. That's the only reason he's going to break 20 games this season.

Much like the Canadiens season, October has a tendency to skew the statistics on the Canadiens. You get a much better idea of what this team is when you start counting stats since November. Montreal's record drops to 22nd in the league when you take out October's performance. 6th in goals for, 13th in goals against, 11th best powerplay, 28th best penalty kill. Counting since November puts Max Pacioretty at 24th in scoring in the league with the fourth most goals total. Weber is 22nd in defenceman scoring with 16 points in 32 games and only a +4. Price has played 25 games, two games from playing the third most in the league.

Why, when the Habs already have a very good record due to October's inflation, are they playing Carey Price as much as Nashville is playing Pekka Rinne? As much as Brayden Holtby is playing in Washington? Only two games less than Martin Jones in San Jose? It's pretty obvious why. Michel Therrien pads his stats and then struggles to maintain control as the club runs out of gas before landing into the spring. I should remind folks that in the same time frame last year (November 1st, 2015 - January 10th, 2016), Mike Condon also played 25 games for the Habs. This is what Therrien does with his starting goalies. Nothing changes.

Since November 1st, Carey Price is .923 goaltender. He had a stinker of a December (.899) but is so far looking at a .918 in January after tough games against Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa. Nothing wrong with Price aside from playing very good teams. When something looks wrong, it's fatigue. You can tell it in his motions. But that doesn't fit the narrative. 

Excellent post :thumbs_up:

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Did management come out and say that they only want Price to play 57-62 games this year? That seems sort of low for a MVP of the league. I thought they acquired Montoya because Condon was terrible and they needed an upgrade. 

So we are totally discounting how great the Habs were for a whole month, but other months are much more indicative of their true self? We'll also just disregard that the Habs were healthy in October and November, but have been decimated by injuries ever since. 

As far as I'm concerned, the coach's job is to win every game that is played. He should go with the best option to win the game. And just because the Habs got out to a big lead in October doesn't mean that lead can't evaporate over the next few months. Reference: last year. You are saying you want Therrien to take the foot off of the gas, don't put his best team out there, just in case Price is a bit more tired than usual? 

Personally I never understand how goalie fatigue is talked about as much as it is. These are professional athletes. I don't believe that fatigue plays as much of a factor in performance as others might. Have you ever heard a goalie say " yeah, I'm pretty tired and could use more rest"? There's no perfect formula for how much a goalie should play, and a person can make a case for just about anything to fit a narrative. 

8 minutes ago, bbp said:

Anyone think the quality of chances Price has been facing have gone up lately?

Barbario-Johnston is actually terrifying.

Having those two on the ice together certainly doesn't help Price when the Habs get stuck in their own zone.  It was a disaster in St. John's at the beginning of the season when they were the top pairing down there; it's actually surprising it hasn't come back to bite them too badly (yet).  I don't mind Barberio as a depth option for the Habs but he's better off with someone who's steady in his own end.  Unfortunately, Johnston is anything but.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Having those two on the ice together certainly doesn't help Price when the Habs get stuck in their own zone.  It was a disaster in St. John's at the beginning of the season when they were the top pairing down there; it's actually surprising it hasn't come back to bite them too badly (yet).  I don't mind Barberio as a depth option for the Habs but he's better off with someone who's steady in his own end.  Unfortunately, Johnston is anything but.

I'm normally pretty tolerant of players' defensive zone weaknesses, but even I can see that that bottom pairing is absolutely atrocious. I really want them to boost the defensive depth, because the current arrangement is not gonna cut it. Imagine those two in the playoffs?  *shudder*

We all knew the habs would lose last night's game...First game back after a long road trip. IT was obvious.

I admit that Carey doesn't look awesome right now, I just hope he gets his mojo back by early april! That's when we'll really need him!

4 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

We all knew the habs would lose last night's game...First game back after a long road trip. IT was obvious.

I admit that Carey doesn't look awesome right now, I just hope he gets his mojo back by early april! That's when we'll really need him!

I remember vividly that Patrick Roy had quite a mediocre regular season in 1993. The playoffs saw, ahem, a slight improvement ;)