Recalled: Jacob de la Rose

Commandant

He's actually played a lot better as of late and usually when he does well for a few weeks, they bring him up in the hopes that it will carry to the NHL.  (It hasn't happened yet...)  Maybe they want to get a look at him for a few games heading into the trade deadline.  Hopefully they don't just bring him up to sit him as that would make no sense at all.

Based on the lines in practice, the odd one out would be McCarron - Carr was on the 4th line at the skate today.  Andrighetto's actually playing better as of late so they may as well keep him in there while he's doing better.

I can't see Shaw being suspended for the hit, especially since he got the five and a game for it.  It's one of those instances where if it was worthy of a one game suspension, he basically already served it.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Good to hear he (hopefully) gets another chance.

Who is next in line for call up; Audette, Matteau, Eisenschmid?

Next up would probably be Terry again or Scherbak/Farnham, depending on the role they'd need to fill.  After that, my guess would be Matteau.  (I didn't catch any of the IceCaps game yesterday but Eisenschmid was scratched...I'm guessing he's hurt.)

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Good call up.. get him in for a few games.

I was really high on this kid a couple years ago - thought he'd be a solid two way player so I'm hoping he sticks. 

Yeah, he looked like a can't miss, two way guy back then. I don't know what happened...but it's not the first time a rookie impresses over a fairly long stretch of games, then for some reason evaporates. I don't know if the rookie enthusiasm just wanes, or if they get too self-satisfied, or lose confidence,  or what. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, he looked like a can't miss, two way guy back then. I don't know what happened...but it's not the first time a rookie impresses over a fairly long stretch of games, then for some reason evaporates. I don't know if the rookie enthusiasm just wanes, or if they get too self-satisfied, or lose confidence,  or what. 

He got older and didn't really improve (or get much worse either).  I can only speak for myself but some of my opinions on prospects are based on where they are in their entry-level deal.  Take de la Rose for example:

Year 1, 19: Passable fourth liner, should still have some upside as a junior-aged guy who can hold his own in the NHL.

Year 2, 20: Still a passable fourth liner, hopefully there's a bit of upside left.

Year 3, 21: Starting to look like just a fourth liner with little upside. 

His performance really hasn't changed year-to-year much but my personal assessment of his upside has changed based on which year of his contract/development he's in.  Subsequently, he went from a can't miss two-way guy to more of a depth option moving forward.

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He got older and didn't really improve (or get much worse either).  I can only speak for myself but some of my opinions on prospects are based on where they are in their entry-level deal.  Take de la Rose for example:

Year 1, 19: Passable fourth liner, should still have some upside as a junior-aged guy who can hold his own in the NHL.

Year 2, 20: Still a passable fourth liner, hopefully there's a bit of upside left.

Year 3, 21: Starting to look like just a fourth liner with little upside. 

His performance really hasn't changed year-to-year much but my personal assessment of his upside has changed based on which year of his contract/development he's in.  Subsequently, he went from a can't miss two-way guy to more of a depth option moving forward.

Well. lets hope he shines, plays well defensively, forechecks hard, creates an offensive chance or two, buries one and surprises you and rest of us!:hyper:

We'll see for Delarose, the good thing we can maybe say is that lately, for the time, he's been contributing offensively more consistently. If not mistaken he has 10 points in his last 14 games, which would be some quite decent production coming from a 21 year-old two-way forward (assuming this he could maintain that level, and it is not just a lucky streak). 

I don't see Top 6 potential at all anymore, but we know his defensive game and hockey sense were NHL caliber, so if he can give us a little bit of offensive production, we could still get a solid depth player with very good size and mobility. Flynn turns UFA after this year, and there's a chance we could lose Mitchell at the expansion draft, we will need good players for the 4th line.

ps. If we want to be ultra positive... Delarose's production levels at the same age in the AHL looks very similar to Philip Danault's, even higher, except that Delarose played less. You look at their stats at 20 and 21, Danault didin't exactly do any better... there is still hope  LOL ! 

Guest Stogey24

It seems weird to me that Bergevin would draft De La Rose; a guy who was never an offensive player in Sweden and probably never will be, right after Mccarron. 

I personally like the Mccarron pick, but I feel if you take a guy like him  in the first, your second round pick should be used on a little more offensively gifted player. No? Especially with it being an early second ...

46 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

It seems weird to me that Bergevin would draft De La Rose; a guy who was never an offensive player in Sweden and probably never will be, right after Mccarron. 

I personally like the Mccarron pick, but I feel if you take a guy like him  in the first, your second round pick should be used on a little more offensively gifted player. No? Especially with it being an early second ...

A big centre who is good defensively and is a strong skater, why would that be weird.

He also has played more NHL games than any 2013 2nd round pick (not saying much).

Petan would of been a nice option, but would of been panned as another smurf pick. 

And in hindsight DuClair also another good option over Crisp (but I liked the Crisp pick at the time).

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2013e.html

57 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Timmins always said he will draft the best available player, in his team's view, and not draft based on short term needs, position, of anything else. Personally I like that mentality, and have no problem with it, you never what will happen moving forward including trades, injuries, surprises (ex. Byron, Danault), disappointments, etc.

For example back in 2005 many criticized the Habs for drafting a goalie with the 5th overall while we had a young Jose Theodore coming off some strong seasons, and just entering his prime at 26 years old; they wanted either Gilbert Brule or Anze Kopitar. Well Jose Theodore sort of collapsed immediately after that, Gilbert Brule was a bust, and granted that Kopitar became an excellent player, however Carey Price has become arguably the most impactful player in hockey, and his presence alone makes the difference between being a contender and having trouble making the payoffs.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Timmins wanted De la Rose in the first round. Bergevin pushed towards McCarron in fear they wouldn't be able to get Big Mike in the second round. Since they were only a few picks away from selecting again, they *lucked* on DLR still being available.

Unless you really like Marko Dano or Ryan Hartman, or believe the Habs should have taken a defenceman like Shea Theodore or Chris Bigras, the Habs didn't miss on much in the span of those two picks.

I'm sure there's an RDS commentator who felt Montreal should have traded a first and a second to move down and get Gauthier or Mantha.